HELP! CLEP Spanish - Problem w/ class selection

<p>OK So my D emailed a faculty member (W. Holden) about getting into Spanish 202. She took the CLEP and was awarded credit for 101, 102 and 201 and 202. However, she wants to retake 202 just to be sure she does not get in too far over her head rather than starting w/ a 300 level class.</p>

<p>Mr. Holden told her that she could not take 202 because she was already awarded credit for it. But we were both told at orientation, and I thought I had read it here, that you could take a lower level class than what you ‘qualified’ for.</p>

<p>Can someone tell me what to tell my D to do? She does not want to mess up her gpa by going into a 300 level at this point.</p>

<p>Help.</p>

<p>The prof may not know true policy.</p>

<p>If CLEP credit is handled like AP credits, then she can retake.</p>

<p>Just sign up for 202. Has she tried to sign up online and been blocked?</p>

<p>There is no space in 202 so she had to email him to ask for override.
He told her she could not take it.
Makes no sense to me.
Not sure what to do…</p>

<p>If she takes 202 then does that mean she does not get credit for it since credit was already issued by CLEP? What if she wants to use the grade in her gpa?
Or can they remove the credit so that she can take it?</p>

<p>In this case, you need to contact the department chair to process the override. She is eligible to take the course, but it will likely show as a repeated course and not factor into her GPA. Keep in mind that overrides are not guaranteed, so be on the lookout for openings in the desired section(s).</p>

<p>She is eligible to take the course, but it will likely show as a repeated course and not factor into her GPA</p>

<p>I’m not sure about that.</p>

<p>Pre-meds often have to retake courses that they have received AP credits. AP and CLEP credits show as Pass. When you actually then take the class, you get a grade and it is included in the GPA. </p>

<p>You won’t get “more” credits. if you have 3 credits from an AP/IB/CLEP from a class, then you actually take the class, the school can’t give you 3 MORE credits for the SAME class. The AP/IB/CLEP credits will essentially no longer count. </p>

<p>I’m not sure how the replaced AP/IB/CLEP class will look on a final transcript…maybe as XXXX Pass 0 credits?? </p>

<p>I think some people here have retaken Bio I, even tho they have AP credits. Maybe they can look on their unofficial transcript on myBama (or Degree Works) and see how it gets recorded after a grade for the class posts.</p>