HELP - College Board stonewalling me on sending scores

I’m pulling my hair out because my son, who took the SAT way back in March and June and whose scores came out months ago and are on his College Board account, has requested multiple times to have the scores sent to schools and they haven’t sent any of them. FIrst we ordered the “free tests” back in June but they never sent them. They just say “N/A” under date sent and the status is “pending”. Then out of desperation (because he has a hard deadline at one school in 2 weeks), I re-ordered them RUSH shipping and paid $47 and they still just say “N/A”. I’ve called them no less than 12 times and pleaded with them to send these scores. The customer service people are idiots. They just say “I can’t see anything that isn’t on the website”. ■■■?? Why have a customer service then? They keep telling me they are “escalating” it and that someone will get back to me but for 3 weeks now after multiple calls and emails NO ONE has gotten back to me. My son studied his ass off, we spent the money taking the tests and the money ordering the tests and now they just refuse to send them.

I have called the schools just to check and no, they haven’t received them.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does anyone know someone at the College Board outside of customer service who might actually be able to help me??

This is heart breaking

I’d call the school(s) with hard upcoming deadlines and explain the situation. Maybe they will allow you to meet the deadline requirements by submitting a pdf or screenshot of your son’s scores on his College Board account until this gets sorted out.

5 Likes

Do the schools he is applying to need official test scores? Most don’t, and allow self reporting of test scores, so double check that first.

Has your credit card been charged? I have to admit I haven’t heard of this issue, and don’t have any words of wisdom being trying to get to someone in CB management, above the customer service reps.

You might also have your S speak with his HS GC…perhaps they can send a copy of the pdf/screenshot to the schools that require official test scores.

3 Likes

thanks, the school with the 9/15 deadline won’t take self report and only will accept official scores sent by College Board. I did explain the situation but they said he would just have to be considered during regular decision rather than early action, but that is far from ideal esp since it impacts scholarship funding…

Is this Auburn? if so, they have multiple EA rounds, not just the 9/15 one. I wouldn’t hesitate to have the HS GC reach out to the AO.

If you have a twitter (oops, I mean X) account, you might also tweet and/or DM the CB administrators that are active on that platform.

2 Likes

ooh that’s a good idea (about Twitter… i refuse to call it X :slight_smile: Yes, it is for Auburn. Good to know about the multiple EA rounds. Still, ideally we get this taken care of early for he’s applying to a few other schools with 10/1 EA deadlines.

Of all the things I thought we’d be grappling with when it comes to colleges applications, this was not on my bingo card.

I’m guessing you’ve called the number given here for Urgent issues?

3 Likes

no - I didn’t know about that number. I’ve just been calling regular customer service. I’ll call it today. thanks - you guys are awesome

2 Likes

Which schools have a 10/1 deadline?

Again, double check if they take self reported test scores-no reason to give CB your money if you don’t have to

I think Clemson’s deadline is Oct 1? Maybe it’s Oct 15. My son said he checked and he can self report but the scores also have to be sent.

yeah, i would like to not give CB any more money than I have to.

Clemson deadline is Oct 15, and they do require official test scores, they do not allow self reporting. Maybe your S can create a spreadsheet to track all these details and share it with you? (if he hasn’t already)

1 Like

If this isn’t resolved yet have your son explain to his AO with screenshot of his scores. Tell them he is working on it since there seems to be a problem on CB side. This is also a nice touch of interest to the school. Maybe they have suggestions also. Keep it positive that he is working with the college to get the scores. They can’t unsee the scores sent if they look at them.

1 Like

I have no advice. I just want to sympathize with you. We had a super frustrating time with CB last year trying to get scores ordered as well. I spent hours on the phone with them (while on a work trip on the other side of the globe :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:). And I still couldn’t get correct info from the uninformed people on the phone.

I ended up having to dispute some of the charges with my credit card company (for the first time in my life) because they never sent the scores we’d ordered weeks earlier, but they sure charged me for it. We ended up doing several new orders of rushed scores because we just got weary of battling and had EA deadlines, like you. They did send those. Don’t even get me started on how asinine it is to have “rush delivery” of electronic scores that are sent with the push of a button…

You should be okay with the 10/1 EA deadline, and might even be okay with the 9/15 deadline. Just keep at it and don’t believe they’ve been sent until your kid sees the proof on the CB site and starts to see them populating in the school portals (the timing on that varies by school). If necessary, do a new rush order and then dispute the charge(s) of the order(s) that didn’t get fulfilled. Good luck and arrrggghhh!

1 Like

I called that number last year and they were also… not helpful. The reps were just woefully uninformed and had limited ability to actually help. But it’s worth a try!

1 Like

We had a problem getting my kid’s scores back when kid did talent search in 7th grade. After multiple emails and phone calls, we finally got a competent person. Then we had to follow up a time or 2, but the competent person had given us his extension so that we could call and get somebody who would actually fix the problem. I’m really sorry that you’re dealing with this - it’s like banging your head against a wall.

In our case, the delay was due to kid having an unusually high score for a 7th grader so they reviewed it separately…only they didn’t, it just sat there for a month or 2.

We also had a problem with APs one year - kid is homeschooled but takes tests at a private school. When kid took the test one year, he just copied the school’s school code instead of entering the homeschool code, so the college board treated it as a separate account. It took a couple of phone calls to figure out what the problem was and then a couple more days for them to merge the 2 accounts.

Also- make sure your SRAR is complete and in by deadline! Can take a week after you get finish your SRAR to upload to the schools you’re applying to so don’t wait in that! I know a lot of kids got pushed to regular decision last year at Clemson because they didn’t understand that! Good luck!!

2 Likes

Twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. Get the email address for the head of the college board and email and socual media them directly. In 2020, that was the ONLY way that I could get any response from the ACT, which had essentially collapsed.

1 Like

Both Clemson and Auburn are examples of schools where the complete application has to be submitted by the deadline. That means not only the SRAR in Clemson’s case, but also transcripts, LoRs, test scores reports, etc. Michigan is another example of that as well.

We just had this same issue. Ordered scores from the June test to be sent and status said “pending” for a month. I talked to half a dozen people who all told me different things. Finally talked to a supervisor who said somehow they were set up to be sent with the august scores that have yet to come out. Made no sense. She had to place a new rush order(and yes, she charged me) and now status says sent. Crossing fingers they get there by deadline. I could not believe how many snafus and weird emails and confusion. We have all paid them so much money over the years, right? This is their main job!

Yes, I think this is the single most frustrating “customer service” experience I’ve ever had in my life. I’ve talked to no less than 12 different customer service reps and none of them are equipped to help. They just take messages and “pass them on” but it seems it just goes into the ether.

I checked back yesterday and it looks like they did send the scores I sent rush so at least the 9/15 deadline should be ok. But for the other schools I sent to still haven’t sent even though it’s been months.

1 Like