Help- D in Orientation, bit by fire ants in dorm, who can help?

<p>D’s room and bathroom have been invaded by fire ants. Some have bit her. I told her to leave and find an RA or any authority. She is in orientation and is now searching the halls for an RA or somebody. I don’t know if she is allergic. Her sister is allergic to wasps and bees. She hasn’t been stung more than once so we don’t know about her. SHe has been stung years before by fire ants so since this is the second time, it is the time she would be much more likely to be allergic if she is. (Wasps, bees and ants are closely related for allergenic purposes). Can anybody tell me if there are RA’s in the orientation dorms? If not, who should she call? She needs insect killing spray and also somebody to make sure she is having a normal, not allergenic reaction to the fire ants.</p>

<p>Someone should be at the front desk in the lobby at all times.</p>

<p>Have her go to the student health center walk in clinic to get cortaid type ointment and benadryl for itching if needed.
She should call Housing or Maintenance for ant spray.</p>

<p>She said she found somebody who is helping her. Thankfully, it isn’t the dorm she is staying at in the regular year. I guess we will be buying ant spray, though, to bring with her.</p>

<p>In the future, if she has a serious problem and can’t find an RA (there are RAs in all of the open dorms during the summer) or front desk person, have her call the University Police at (205) 348-5454. It might seem odd to call the police, but they are there to help in case of emergencies.</p>

<p>Can she take Benadryl? If so, can she get to Publix to get some?</p>

<p>Definitely tell the person at the front desk about the ants.
If you know her suite number, you could call the front desk yourself. :)</p>

<p>this is the director of Ridgecrest…maybe she can help or give you the number of the front desk</p>

<p>Elizabeth Cox
Phone: 205.348.8367</p>

<p>My younger son is VERY allergic to fire ants & wasps and carries an epi pen with him at all times.</p>

<p>Hope the problem clears up soon. You might want to speak with your doctor about your daughter carrying an epi-pen for emergencies.</p>

<p>Could you tell us which residence hall?</p>

<p>I think she’s in Ridgecrest South…I think all the BB kids are put there.</p>

<p>She found someone, I don’t know if it was at the front desk or an RA. Anyways, they moved her from that room. She was only bit a few times and the swelling went down. I did tell her to get some benadryl and take it at night. She emailed me to make sure I call her in the morning so she gets up. </p>

<p>Thanks everybody.</p>