Help Finding the Right School for Top 1% Student - Engineering & Needs Merit Aid

A decent number of the listed incidents appear to be ones where it was likely that a student was the suspect. For example:

Possession of alcohol/Under 21 at Harrison Residence Hall 660 Williams Street NW
Marijuana Possession One Ounce or Less at Harrison Residence Hall 660 Williams Street NW
Possession and use of drug related objects at Harrison Residence Hall 660 Williams Street NW
False Identification at 10TH ST NW
Possession of alcohol/Under 21 at 10TH ST NW
Giving false information to Officer at Clough Undergraduate Learning Commons 266 Fourth Street NW

3 Likes

[quote=“ucbalumnus, post:121, topic:2811339, full:true”]

A decent number of the listed incidents appear to be ones where it was likely that a student was the suspect. [/quote]

I am not worried about the underage drinking. That happens at 98% of college campuses. Here’s what has happened in the past four days:

Nature: Extortion/Blackmail
Nature: Harassment
Nature: Peeping Tom
Nature: Motor Vehicle Theft
Nature: Theft of Motor Vehicle Parts or Accessories
Nature: Theft From Motor Vehicle

And for those who have not looked at the crime log, the three incidents involving vehicle theft or parts are all unrelated.

I do not know what happened to your quote, but I put my reply in italics.

2 Likes

This looks like the daily police blotter in my town, which is considered very safe. Cars get stolen, people leave car doors unlocked and stuff is stolen, catalytic converters are being stolen, but violent crime here is very low. That’s what I get concerned about when looking at different areas.

2 Likes

Of course there is some crime in the vicinity of Georgia Tech, as it’s located in a major city. Areas to the south can be rough, but the midtown blocks, which house the fine hotels, stores and restaurants of Atlanta as well as Piedmont Park, are within walking distance of GT. Also, GT police are very well regarded and extremely protective of their students. I’m so glad another poster stated what I’ve been trying to delicately convey. It seems impossible to make such a statement without being blunt and possibly ruffling the feathers of some, but here goes: I can’t understand how you would even consider some of the non-HYPSM schools being tossed about in this forum if your child can attend Georgia Tech for free. As was correctly pointed out, GT ranks even higher than HYPSM schools in some disciplines and it is ranked #1 in the USA in several, such as cybersecurity and industrial engineering. Many others are top 5 and all remaining. engineering/CS disciplines are in the top 10. I can’t for the life of me understand how you can get this for free and toss it aside because the student doesn’t want to be close to home. Does the student really want to be holding a UDel degree in her hands four or five years from now because she wanted to live in another state? Sorry to be blunt, but I just don’t get it, The student already has an acceptance to a school that is one of the best in the country, for FREE. Think of how many students would do anything to go to Georgia Tech for full freight, even at OOS tuition rates. Assuming HYPSM does not enter the discussion, why would you send them someplace with far fewer opportunities? You are making a decision that will alter the course of her life.

7 Likes

Respectfully, I am not asking anyone where our daughter should go. We can weigh the pros and cons of all her options when the time comes. To aid us in our decision, I am asking for schools that may be a good FIT for her. I know it may be hard to comprehend, but we have a long list why GT isn’t the best place for her. It may be great for your son, and that’s fabulous! We want to widen our search to make sure she’s got the perfect choice for her, and we have gotten some great suggestions already. Thank you.

5 Likes

I understand your points on GT, but please don’t hold out (or have the expectation) for a ‘perfect’ choice…there is not one. There are likely many good fit schools.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Point taken. Perfect wasn’t the best choice of words. We want the best option for her - even if it isn’t perfect. I can say that she will do well wherever she ends up. Aside from academics, we want her to be happy and thrive in other areas.

2 Likes

Actually, if you read the original post carefully the student is D22, so presumably has not already applied or been accepted anywhere yet as a Junior.

Also, OP request was given D22 wasn’t interested in staying in GA what other schools should they research, not please berate us as to why student should be forced to attend GT if accepted.

Each student has to decide what schools are a fit for them. What is one person’s cup of tea isn’t another’s. This thread reminds me of something I read in a psychology book once. If you try to scrub the stripes off a tiger, you will just end up with a very unhappy striped tiger.

Also, as has come up on CC a number of times, not everyone is camp HYPSM. I know it’s hard for some to understand, but I have lived in Midwest and SE and know plenty of people who don’t care or may even be hesitant about HYPSM because they want team players not big egos. So, I would say how much rank matters depends somewhat on region, career field and long-term goals.

Sorry to be blunt.

2 Likes

Someone posted this on another thread in case you didn’t see it. It may help.

1 Like

[quote=“GetCollege19, post:128, topic:2811339, full:true”]
"Actually, if you read the original post carefully the student is D22, so presumably has not already applied or been accepted anywhere yet as a Junior. "[/quote]

That is correct. My daughter is a junior and has not yet applied to any schools. We are trying to put together a solid list of schools to which she can apply. We met with DD’s guidance counselor last week, and she was able to give us some advice on the schools in the list in my OP.

With respect to admission (and not cost), she considered Clemson and Baylor safeties. She said that GT and UGA would be matches. However, UGA and GT admit 25+ students from our school every year so she didn’t expect any issues with her being admitted. While Notre Dame is a bit more of a reach, she also said that she would expect my DD to be accepted (ND accepts 4 or 5 students from our school each year). As expected, she said that MIT was unpredictable and that we can’t expect any particular outcome. They always get more qualified applicants than they can admit. She also agreed that we need at least one school that my DD is excited about and that we can afford.

And for clarification, UGA and GT are not free. The tuition is free, but that still leaves a COA of around $20K. For Georgia residents, the tuition waiver at in-state public schools is very cut and dry, and my daughter would qualify.

Thank you again for all of the helpful suggestions. As we comb through the list of recommended schools, my daughter is excited about some of the special programs offered at these schools.

ND is a great school, but as someone who grew up in that area I have to ask - has your D spent any time near Lake Michigan in winter? If not, weather is something to think about. It’s not just the cold and snow, it’s the gray. I think more than one SE kid has nixed a school up North after visiting in the winter :wink:

4 Likes

I went to Notre Dame as a student from the SE, and my daughter is familiar with SB (we have family currently living in Chicago too). I know that visiting is not the same as living there for months on end though. I can affirm that the gray can be difficult… as well as the cold. It’s definitely a culture shock, but as an energetic 18 year old, the impact is less severe than it would be to me as an adult. Although I loved every second of college, I could never return to SB as a resident. :joy:

ETA - And Boston can be awful in the winter too. The wind coming off the Charles River is brutal!

Oh good, then she’s been duly warned and wouldn’t find herself completely surprised that first winter :grinning:. I was fine with it as long as I didn’t know any better, but yah not going back up there in winter ever.

(Meanwhile this upper midwest gal couldn’t handle the southern heat full-time)

4 Likes

That’s why snowbirding is ideal if one can swing it :wink:.

Not to nitpick, but Zell does not leave a COA of $20k/yr.

I am not sure why you say that. GT lists its COA as $29.2K ($31.9K after freshman year). Zell is valued at $10.2K. That leaves a COA right at $20K. What am I missing?

Note that $29K COA includes $3200 for personal expenses, which is on the high side for many students. GTech’s fees seem crazy high at $2,594, sheesh!

https://finaid.gatech.edu/current-cost-overview

Mandatory fees for engineering are always really high! Even if the $3,200 for personal expenses is overstated, the COA will still be around $20K in subsequent years. It may actually be $18K, but as a general statement, it seems that the COA will be right around $20K.

4 Likes

Yep and that’s why I qualified with happy to attend. OP’s daughter has a world class engineering school in an exciting, vibrant city with a COA that almost all parents would fall-over themselves to get…and no interest. Unless MIT or something similar is on the table I’m not sure what would fit the bill and pretty sure the cost wouldn’t even be close.

Unless I missed something OP wants cost under $20K/year but won’t get any FA. That leaves few options. Only schools like ASU that guarantee scholarships OR schools that offer full-tuition scholarships. Full tuition scholarships are super competitive even for kids with perfect scores and more and more there’s a need based component or URM piece to that puzzle. Schools like ASU, Alabama, etc offer great deals and provide great opportunities but look where Google, Facebook, Bain, etc recruit. GT is on the list. Is that the be-all-end-all? No, but the reality is some schools open more doors.

The main issue I see is that the OP is setting up a bad situation come May 1st…letting daughter apply to schools that will never be affordable. Looking for the perfect fit but limiting budget to $20k. Those two will be very difficult to reconcile.

So back to the original question…cross off schools that don’t offer merit like Cornell, MIT, CMU, etc. Notre Dame has a few Stamps scholarships. Put a couple of schools like ASU on the list that have merit calculations on their website. WVU has a matrix with GPA/scores and merit. After that, look at schools that offer full-tuition scholarships and realize that they are very, very competitive like winning the lottery.

If your daughter liked Furman then I’d add Wake, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, and Richmond. Maybe NC State? Excellent STEM and they offer the Park scholarship. South Carolina offers McNair scholarships.

2 Likes