Help from a Wisconsinite, please.

<p>What is the latest birthday a 5-year-old can have in order to enter kindergarten that year? For example, in NY if a child turns 5 before December 31st, he or she can enter kindergarten that year. But in Texas, the cut off date is Sept. 1 (I'm pretty sure about that anyway). I ask because I'm wondering if my son, who has a late-Sept. birthday, will be a full year younger than many of the other freshmen starting next year, as would be the case at UT Austin. Thanks for answering this odd question.</p>

<p>Turning 5 before September 1st is the official cutoff date in Wis. Some parents, especially with sons, choose to have their summer birthday children wait a year (eg August and July, even June), some kids are 6 before starting and some turn 6 that fall; therefore being 19 around the time of starting college. Most students are 18 or older, but there are always exceptions- such as early entry and grade skipping, plus any HS students taking a class through Youth Options.</p>

<p>Don't worry about your son being young, I presume he went through 4 years of HS like everyone else and therefore has the same set of recent life experiences and as much maturity as the others... The drinking age is 21 so it won't set him apart, either (eons ago, in my day, the cutoff was Dec and the drinking age for beer 18, then all alcohol 18 but that is ancient history...). Very likely no one will notice his age unless someone makes it an issue (DON"T be the one to tell).</p>

<p>Thanks for the help, Wis75.</p>

<p>its the same in IL, if you turn 5 on or before sept 1st you can enter kindergarden, if later you have to wait a year.</p>

<p>guess who turned 5 on september 2nd? </p>

<p><-------</p>