Help Me Decide: Case Western or the University of Pennsylvania

Currently, my list of 10 schools has been condensed to five and currently only 3/5 have accepted. The third school, not listed, is UNC Chapel Hill because it’s not direct entry. The other two are the University of Michigan and Emory University who have not announced their decision yet.

Anyway, I have been accepted to both Case Western and the University of Pennsylvania. Honestly, I’m leaning towards Case Western for the amount of clinicals it offers and the proximity to so many great hospitals. Based on my recent tour, the student life is great and the differing architecture doesn’t bother me. Students also start clinicals 3 weeks into their first semester at the school. On the other hand, I’m being pushed to attend UPenn based on its name alone and the distance its name can carry me. This reason is the main reason why I didn’t apply to UPenn because of how focused people get on its name and position as part of the Ivy League. I do like the Nursing program offered at UPenn but have not seen the campus.

Some other details that may be useful is that I am from Charlotte, NC and feel like Cleveland is slower than Charlotte whereas Philadelphia is faster. I kind of want slower rather than faster. Also, the amount of Cultural spots nearby Case is really great too.

If there is anyone who can help in “swaying” my decision or offering another perspective, I would love to hear it. Thank you.

P.S. I know this sounds like a love letter to Case Western Reserve but my mentor wants me to be open-minded and consider UPenn despite my love for the school. For those confused to how I’ve been “accepted” before Ivy Day, I received likely letters from UPenn along with a confirmation email from a dean at the school saying I’ve been accepted. Also, Case Western has given me enough of a scholarship that their yearly cost has come down from $70,000 to about $12,000. UPenn’s financial aid has not been received yet.

Again, thank you for reading this.

Wait until financial aid comes in from Penn and you have a chance to visit Penn before you make a decision. Penn has some of the best financial aid in the US.

I think it is an important enough decision that it is worth the trip. In the meantime, you can use Google Streetview to get a feeling of what the U. Penn campus is like and what the surrounding neighborhood is like.

I don’t think Phila. is nearly as fast-paced as NYC. Phila. (and University City in particular) has greatly improved over the last 20 years.

One of the advantages of Phila. is that you could take Amtrak back and forth to school. They avoids hours spent in airports and avoids your parents having to commit 2 full days of driving on breaks.

Penn Medicine has been greatly expanding, with first class facilities. There also is a large Children’s Hospital and a VA Hospital right next to U. Penn.

I recently visited UPenn (and got to peek in the main nursing building) and have to say it is GORGEOUS. Highly recommend visiting before you make your decision. Good luck!