Help Me Plan my First Trip to Wisconsin

<p>I’m going to be a freshmen this fall and I have not even been to Madison yet :open_mouth: - I figured that I had to go get a visit in before school ends because I’m just dying here and I need something to look forward to. From Rochester NY, so I know absolutely no one there. I’m going to try to register on the site for a campus tour, but aside from that I don’t have any other plans. Keep in mind that I’m going by myself and will be looking to spend about 2 nights there (I don’t know if this is too long but I have the time to waste). Other things I’m wondering:</p>

<li><p>Where should I stay? Is it possible to stay in a dorm? I wanna get the feel. If not, a hotel is fine. </p></li>
<li><p>What sights should I visit and what should I do? I’m honestly open to everything.</p></li>
<li><p>I don’t really mind being by myself, but is there anyway to like meet up with students already there and hang out/talk with them for a couple hours?</p></li>
<li><p>I plan on going around middle of May and from looking at their calendar, this runs into Finals/Commencement - is this normally a tense time when every student is studying and administration is really busy?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks. I will honestly probably do whatever you guys tell me because I’ve never been there and I don’t know the area.</p>

<p>I'm not a student but I <em>just</em> visited last thursday-sunday.</p>

<p>The Wisconsin Capitol building is really awesome and it's only a half-mile from campus. When you finish there go down State St. to the campus.</p>

<p>State St. is AWESOME. You <em>absolutely must</em> see State St. while you're there. </p>

<p>As for the campus, just walk around and check out the whole thing. Trust me, there's 2 days worth of adventuring at least in the campus. </p>

<p>I also highly recommend a walk out to picnic point starting out at the beginning of the trail. I got a great feel for the people of the campus by doing that... I decided to turn in my admissions slip after that little self-guided tour and I'd only been on campus for like 10 minutes. Give yourself atleast two hours though. If you're chugging along real quickly it won't have the same effect. Take a nice leisurely walk, listen to your ipod, and just enjoy the scenery. </p>

<p>Oh and try Babcock ice cream. It's good lol.</p>

<p>I can't answer 3 or 4 for you though.</p>

<p>As for places to stay, I've heard good things about the campus inn, but I didn't stay there and I've heard it can be expensive.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.thecampusinn.com/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.thecampusinn.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>DO NOT stay in madison east or in verona. You'll be paying minimum $20 a cab ride. I learned that the hard way -_-. Stay in the city. It's totally worth it.</p>

<p>To meet some students just go to the Terrace behind the Union and talk to some. That's the best spot when the weather is warm. The downtown hotels may be full if it is graduation weekend. Look NOW. Any downtown hotel is within walking distance. If you are there on Saturday go to the Farmer's Market around the Capitol in the morning. A real Madison tradition and close to the hotels. Picnic pt is a must see as you get a real view of the campus and downtown that must be seen. Beats all the Ivy Gothic buildings in the world.</p>

<p>You will be attending SOAR this summer- consider going to Madison for a few extra days to have time to see everything. Also, take your parents to SOAR- totally separate housing and programs with minor exceptions, it will save you a lot of hassles from them. If you plan an earlier trip, finals are not a good time- they may not even let you stay in the dorms then. Finals are around May 12-18, check with the visiting campus information center about possibilities, they may not even have the tours then. Check earlier posts on this CC site for many lists of what to see. Definitely check out the Visitor Center for other info, and of course the UW website. Also use Google Earth to get a bird's eye view. The capitol is perhaps closer to a mile, with good views from outside, around the rotunda- you can see the two big lakes... Do stay close to campus, the Union even has hotel rooms, check the website...</p>

<p>Just a suggestion: go to Memorial Union on the Park Street side. Get on the 80 free bus. It goes all around campus. That will give you an idea of the size of this place and the many different parts of campus.</p>