Help me please ...........

So right now I feel so confused in my life. Whenever I have to put my “race” down on exams/applications, I always leave it blank because I’m Puerto Rican (which is not a race apparently). My skin is tan I guess but I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m white. I took a DNA test and my results basically told me I was 55% European white, 11% Native American (Puerto Rican Taino Tribe), and 25% African. I embrace all those races and I honestly identify as all 3 so I put those 3 races down on my college applications. Later on, I was accepted to UVA, and now I get emails about special African American programs at UVA such as a peer-advising program with an African American student. My problem is since I don’t look black, is it wrong to participate in the program? :frowning: Be honest y’all, even though I’m 1/4 black, should I embrace all this? Or just not participate in those types of events?

Any input/insight/advice would be deeply appreciated.

I think that if you would be an active member of the group and you would enjoy it, then you should join. You honestly answered the question about race and you were invited, so I don’t see where there would be a problem I bet they’ll be glad to have you!

Thank you so much for your insight! I just think that Bc I don’t have a large percentage of African in me, people will think I’m just taking advantage of such programs . But I think you’re right that I should participate

Taino + Hispanic + African American is who you are. Means you should not only participate in the African American groups of you’d enjoy that but also reach out to the other groups for latinx and indigenous students (not sure Taino is considered native American but it’s definitely an indigenous group), especially if there’s a special group for Puerto Ricans.

If important to you or simply of interest to you, then yes you should participate.

Thank you guys for replying :slight_smile: I honestly feel so much better about myself and participating in the program

This is such a touchy subject. Undoubtedly someone will get their feathers ruffled over whether you are “black enough”. But it might take awhile for you to hear of it.

1 Like