Help me?

<p>Okay, so I'm really down to the wire on my decision here.</p>

<p>I've narrowed my choices down to Case Western Reserve University and the University of Miami.</p>

<p>I really love Miami's campus and the area it's in. I love the idea of warm weather and palm trees and being able to study outside in the winter (I'm a bit sick of snow after 18 years). Its dorms and classrooms, however, weren't up to par with what I saw at Case.</p>

<p>I really loved the vibe I got from Case and the students I met there (I'm a self-professed geek). Case is better academically. I'd be able to swim varsity and probably participate in more extracurriculars (pit orchestra) that I wouldn't get the opportunity to do at Miami.</p>

<p>Miami gave me $24,000 a year, Case gave me $16,400. With added grants Case is actually cheaper this year, but once my brother & sister graduate Miami would be less expensive.</p>

<p>I want to double major in biology & psychology, and I plan on attending med school. I'm also interested in chemistry. Miami is giving me a ton of AP credits, nearly enough to come in as a junior. At Case I'd have enough credits to be a sophomore, but # of credits doesn't affect class registration or anything, unfortunately (only the # of years you've been there does).</p>

<p>I want to study abroad in England and I think that maybe Miami would make that easier (because of the AP credits).</p>

<p>So... Which is the better school for me, considering my personality and my plans for the future?</p>

<p>Will I be able to find enough geeky people who aren't into drinking heavily and partying all the time? Or does that population not really exist at Miami?</p>

<p>Any personal anecdotes that might help? I've thought about this for weeks and I don't know what to choose.</p>

<p>We sound like we're in the same position...kinda.</p>

<p>I'm still trying to decide between Miami and Oklahoma City University (I live in Edmond, 20 miles North of OKC).</p>

<p>I haven't seen Miami's campus. I'm making a decision without having seen it. I was accepted for Music industry and it has the curriculum I want. However, I STILL have not heard from them about scholarship money...which is very frustrating. I see that you're a musician, too. I want to do pit orchestras as much as I can....and OCU does 4 productions a year. I'm actually in the pit at my school this weekend and we're doing Pirates of Penzance...it's my 3rd year to do it and I love it.</p>

<p>OCU basically offered me full tuition with a combination of music merit and academic merit. I'm interested in studying in England, too, and staying here for college would make that a lot easier (and cheaper) to study abroad for a semester. </p>

<p>It sounds like you like Case a lot better than you liked Miami. All of my teachers keep telling me don't just go to the school that offers you the most money (although it's hard not to). My English teacher told me that I don't want to be wondering 10 years from now what could have happened if I had gone to Miami. </p>

<p>Not everyone at Miami drinks. I won't. They also have a substance free floor. Which I think I would be requesting if I do end up there. I'm hoping it would cut down on the risk of getting a drunken roommate.</p>

<p>It sounds like you like Case a lot more than Miami, and I'm sorry I probably didn't give much good advice! I'm still trying to decide, too...and the deadline's tuesday!!! </p>

<p>Good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>A good way to get students reviews of schools is to go to
<a href="http://www.studentsreview.com%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.studentsreview.com&lt;/a> and look at the student comments as well as checking out <a href="http://www.princetonreview.com%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.princetonreview.com&lt;/a> and looking at what students say. I think you will get a good idea of these schools this way.</p>

<p>Aphotic here is my opinion on this:
Im still deciding between Ohio State and UM. although im pretty much decided on UM. Just OSU gave me 1/2 scholly. UM gave me nothing but biz school.</p>

<p>Ill give u a descritpion of each the way I see it and yes it might be a lil biased.</p>

<p>UM:
- Academics: 8.5/10
UM has great academics. its ranked as a top 50 school and has a lot of recognition in and outside of the U.S. Ask someone anywhere around the world or in the U.S, they will know UM. its one of the most diverse schools in the US as well as one of the schools with the highest number of international students. You WILL meet ppl from all over the world. Also for study abroads, UM has a very good study abroad program. they have a ton of programs in England. UM has top programs in: Medecine, Business, Law, communication/journalism, Marine Biology and music.
Engineering and architecture are imo "on the rise" programs.
As for jobs go, due to the amount of international students and 50% OOS kids, u should be able to get a job anywhere u want. at least anywhere in the U.S. most departments in the school have their own career placement center aside from the main/general one that serves everyone regardless of their major. Placement from UM is definately easy, assuming u get good grades. </p>

<ul>
<li>Social Scene: 9/10
U dont have to drink at UM. im a 50/50. i do drink but dont really drink heavily. its of the largest private schools in the U.S so u will have a bit of everything. u should defiantely find ur group here. Theres all sorts of stuff to do: Football games (loads of school spirit), sailing, golf, soccer, scuba diving, study (ur gonna have to :D), explore the amazing city of Miami, etc...
its in Miami but not only is it in Miami, its in the most affluent and quaint area of Miami. Downtown Coral Gables is really pretty with lots of stores, cafes and stuff to do. Outside of Coral Gables, u have the city of Miami which is full of stuff to do, especially if u love the ocean. If u like snow, well unfortunatelyf or u, Miami has only had snow once in 1977. so this isnt the place to come have snow fights or skeeing. ;)</li>
</ul>

<p>Case Western:
- Academics: 9/10
Ok look Case Western is very good academically and is higher ranked than UM. It may even be better than UM academically however here is my worry about academics at CW. Not many ppl know of the name. its not a "brand name" school that most ppl have heard of or recognize. So even though its ranked so well, if u go outside the US or the midwestern U.S, not many ppl will have heard of the school. I might be wrong when I say this, but just from what I have seen, this is the case. I am referring to Florida and 5 countries outside of the U.S in which i have lived in. Placement at CW will still be very good just cause after ppl actually research the school, they will realize how good the school is. In Ohio and midwest, u should get very good jobs.</p>

<p>Social Scene and Location: 5/10
:D ok here is the bad thing bout CW. location is awful. If u like Cleveland then i guess ur fine then. However Cleveland imo is not that exciting at all. Theres not much to do in it and it. Case western has very lil school pride in that nobody packs the stadiums etc.. u wont get the traditional college feel. The campus is still nice though. </p>

<p>Verdict: IF u want only academics, dont really care bout the school spirit and all that, and u want to get a job in the midwest, then def go to CW.
If u want both academics and amazing school spirit/social scene, then go to UM. U should still find getting a job in the midwest quite easy.
hope i helped.</p>

<p>I ended up depositing at Case, due to its academic strength, size, extracurricular opportunities, & feel of the student body.</p>

<p>Good luck to anyone attending UMiami.</p>

<p>Music4988: Good luck with your decision! :) I hope whatever you pick makes you happy.</p>

<p>And acarta: Miami's actually ranked #54, thus it is not top 50. Also, the only name recognition it has around here in the Midwest is for its football team. Case is also well-recognized by grad schools, which is important since I do plan on continuing my education.</p>

<p>music:
in regards to floors to live on, in addition to substance free, you can also choose from quiet, and community service/leadership.</p>

<p>Best of luck at Case. It's a wonderful school and I'm sure you will be very happy there.</p>