Help needed with unfair rejection at Purdue

I see. Well their system should be set up to catch that…that I’d agree.

Hopefully it gets worked out.

U of AZ just text my daughter to ask if she’s still coming. So some flagships are flexible. I know they are rolling tho til May 3.

2 Likes

:worried: D does not want it as her friends are there this fall.

1 Like

The admission persons should have been better trained.

2 Likes

I’m on a very large Purdue parent group and I haven’t heard of this happening to anyone else.

4 Likes

I’d feel the same way. Don’t give up! This is a fixable problem. Not sure why Purdue is acting so poorly….not that it’s unexpected….I think universities routinely treat their paying customers pretty badly but this seems particularly out of the ordinary.

It’s engineering so even WVU is great. Ms state may still be offering merit. Think they are rolling.

I’m very hopeful Purdue works.

Why can’t they just move the $400 to Summer and enroll early ??

Hmmmm. On the other hand, if they are this inflexible to u…wouldn’t you want to go somewhere else ? I would.

Is their Fort Wayne campus an option for a year and transfer. It was on the NACAC list.

How about a less impacted program ? She could take electives first semester ??

Well I know it’s stressful. Good luck. I bet if you found a school like Mizzou S&T, she might end up meeting her BFF. Maybe this is a signal …

This is fair. I cannot share their side of the story unfortunately because I don’t know what happened on their side. I do feel obligated to share my experience with other parents so that others don’t go through what I did.

6 Likes

A lot of the first responders in admissions are students I’ve found…well educated but maybe not empowered to make one off decisions. I do agree you need to get right to the D of Admissions.

D’s friends are at Purdue.

That’s already a mistake. Kids that go with their friends typically have a less robust experience. They don’t meet new kids because they insulate with their friends…til one meets someone else, then another does etc. in general it’s best not to go with friends.

4 Likes

Same thoughts here, none of their responses seem logical to me. It is just one student, they should be able to find a way to make it work in this summer or fall.

1 Like

This is a very interesting perspective. I will talk to her about this point and hope that she considers it. She is going out of state so for her having friends around has been top priority.

Just to be clear, an apology and an admission of legal liability are two different things. If you and I are in a small fender bender, and I come up to you and say, “I’m sorry about the crash,” that it not an admission of liability.

As we only have one side of the story, I am loath to read any more into the situation. Respectfully.

2 Likes

Indeed, that raised my eyebrow. Every year the problem I referenced at Cal Poly pops up from multiple people in the acceptance/rejection thread. I want to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but if this was a system flaw, I believe we’d be hearing about it from others. Purdue has over 7000 first time freshmen.

4 Likes

Thank you, I just sent Purdue some questions based on the inputs I have received from this thread. Hopefully they will provide clarity. If that does not happen, I will send a note to dean again.

Another parent stated in this thread that they have faced similar situation. Another individuals has shared it with me in private already.

Thank you for your perspective. I don’t have legal understanding so when I hear these points, it helps me a lot. I will send a note to the lawyer and understand what he thinks.

This doesn’t seem like it would be a viable legal case, in my opinion. In the acceptance letter, it should say that the acceptance is for Fall 2021 admissions, yes? So if she knowingly selected summer and paid for summer, then the mistake would unfortunately be on her. Yes the glitch allowed her to make that choice, but as an above commenter highlighted, they said you have to select the correct term. Furthermore, was the admissions person you called aware that she was supposed to be enrolled for fall instead of summer? Regardless sorry for the sucky situation. I hope everything will work out fine in the end for your daughter!

1 Like

Yes, That is what she talked with the admission person about. Another individual shared their info with me where their son contacted them for same situation and was able to pick summer option. They paid with a credit card so they did not face same payment issue that I did. Thanks you for your wishes.

1 Like

100% Rose is typically rank number 1 but for an experience like Purdue would choose Iowa State. Great program and great school spirit and less expensive. Apply now online and she will be accepted next week. Plus they have merit she could get. But don’t wait… Do it tonight.

7 Likes