Help needed with unfair rejection at Purdue

Don’t blame yourself. You did nothing wrong. I could feel your stress and pain. The college application season is like a nightmare. Stay strong to get it solved.

5 Likes

Or Purdue is not budging much because the daughter wanted summer, paid for summer. But the instructions from Purdue said to be sure to deposit for the term you were accepted to (fall). It’s tough- don’t blame yourself. We need to read deposit instructions. Then read again. Sorry this has happened to you and your daughter and wishing you the best.

2 Likes

Although in my conversation with them they never said it but still this could be a part of the reason they are not budging. So far all that they have said is that they are oversubscribed.

You are doing great with advocating for your daughter. Hope it all works out with Purdue.

1 Like

Oversubscribed is not the reason to reject your daughter. I felt you might need a lawyer if your daughter wants to attend in the summer.

2 Likes

Good luck with that. They wouldn’t dig in if they weren’t confident that they had some grounds.

3 Likes

Maybe or they’re skeptical a parent would engage an attorney. Schools can be arrogant and erroneously read how someone will address a situation. This student is basically “homeless” for next year. The fact that they’re acting as callous as they are is appalling. A class of 7000 can be 7001 without stressing the system.

2 Likes

There are limited options on how this happened. Most point to the student missing a critical detail. Were it any other way, the problem would be far more prolific and/or the school would be more accommodating.

I agree, the student and their family are now in a significant bind, and that really is a shame. I feel badly for all of them. That said, you can’t sue your way out of your own clerical error, even in America.

2 Likes

Really need to talk to the provost and dean of admissions. Send an email to both. They will end up inviting you for winter admission. Just let them know that’s not an acceptable resolution. Students do change their mind and drop at the last minute. Summer session seems the most logical.

5 Likes

Every school has melt (loss of students that signed their intent to register). Just let them know she’s ready.

She really does though need to consider Plan B. If it has to be Purdue and it can’t be Summer or Fall, then she has to be OK with Winter or a full year gap. If it can be another institution, the time to get those ducks in a row is right now.

3 Likes

You may be right but she has a screen shot of an acceptance on April 29, She used the payment system the school provides w/o caveat as to any timing, she called the admissions office April 30 to discuss concerns about no email and the portal and was told everything was fine (did that person even look up the account or just give a canned response) it just takes up to 2 days for the system/ portal to update (a disgrace for a school supposedly ranked as highly as Purdue is for CS), can’t speak to a live person on May 1, deadline day, because it’s Saturday and no one working that day (another ridiculous decision/situation), May 3rd arrives and oh the admissions person’s info was wrong and the portal didn’t update, but you’re SOL because the system has a glitch and even though it’s our fault, too bad. The big problem for Purdue is that the admissions person said it was fine. All of this could have been avoided if they’d bothered to look at the student’s account on April 30.

I’d already have a lawyer. I’d have hired one Monday.

11 Likes

You don’t know this. The student’s mom acknowledged that it is a distinct possibility that there were caveats they overlooked. You feel you know the whole story, but nobody does yet. We will someday soon.

The thing we do know is that over 7000 students seemed to get through without having this problem, but we simply overlook that. You’d think if there was a major flaw in the software it might have tripped up a few more students. One percent would be over 70, yet no word in the Purdue FB group or on the Purdue thread here on CC. Not a peep.

The other shoe will drop. If Purdue is indeed at fault, I’m sure they’ll rectify it. If not, that’s when you can call a lawyer. Until all the facts are out it’s a waste of time and money.

3 Likes

To answer your question – some students are admitted on the condition that they start during the Summer term. I was admitted in 2019 and my ability to enroll for the Fall 2019 semester was contingent on taking specific classes, including a “getting started in college” class, during Summer term/Summer Start.

2 Likes

Straight from Purdue’s admissions website. E-checks are certainly a proper form of payment.

5 Likes

As a lawyer, I find folks attempts to render an armchair opinion on the legality of this situation based on incomplete knowledge of the facts a bit ridiculous. I hope the OP consults an Indiana lawyer quickly and is also quickly looking into other options for their daughter.

As a parent, my child handled everything in their college applications and acceptance except for paying application fees and the deposit, so it is a cautionary tale for parents about the need to not have their child leave this important acceptance until the last minute.

4 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up over this. I’m pretty sure everyone on this board has had issues with technology and bureaucracies at some point, somewhere. Maybe not to this degree but we can empathize.

We’re all hoping this works out but hope isn’t a strategy. Purdue may or may not make this “right” in way that’s acceptable. To be determined.

You need to be working on a plan B, C, D, etc in parallel to pursuing your case with Purdue. Every day you wait is opportunity lost. Have you reached out to the schools that accepted your daughter? Ask if there’s any openings or at least get on a waitlist. Also look at the NACAC list. Several really good engineering programs on that list and it could grow.

Good luck.

5 Likes

I strongly suggest hiring a lawyer. If the school is right the lawyer can explain that to the OP and help them understand their options. On the other hand if the school is at fault the lawyer will know to whom to talk and how to talk to them. At this point we do not know if OP is at fault or if they are talking with admission interns or other admission employees that are overwhelmed from work etc, or simply they do not understand what OP is talking about. By reading this thread both scenarios are probable. I have been to similar situations. One time our school system debated that my address existed. For days they insisted my kid does not belong to the school. Imagine this, to be on the phone with people telling you your house does not exist.

3 Likes

It’s not Bill pay, there is no physical check mailed.

The bursar site does say “Be sure to select the term you were admitted to when paying your deposit.” Sounds like the issue was that this students was accepted to Fall term, was supposed to deposit for Fall term, and then select the summer option as an add on.

Purdue enrolled over 8200 freshman last year and I’d expect that number to be the same or higher this cycle, so a couple of students out of 8200+ says to me that this isn’t a major system glitch.

That said, I feel for this OP and her D, and I’m still hoping that the university will get her enrolled for this year. Our experience with Purdue is that they are typical caring and responsive

3 Likes

Her daughter wasn’t rejected for oversubscription - she was rejected due to non-payment of deposit.

The reason the school seems to not be budging on accepting her daughter past the stated enrollment date is oversubscription.

These are two different issues, yet the conversation continues to conflate the two.

1 Like