Help needed with unfair rejection at Purdue

I think so too. Otherwise this should have been taken care of immediately. However, whether they add one more student into that count or not, they will still have to deal with the capacity issue. This should not have been provided as a reason to refuse reinstatement if they are doing it in a fair manner.

2 Likes

My biggest regret is that I am in this situation with Purdue because I was saving $11 when I should have been just focused at getting her in.
I do know that what I was trying to do (teaching her value of $11) was right thing to do, specially because she was going to leave house soon. Had I not done that, she would not have hit Purdue’s glitch and got rejected.
While I know Purdue is at fault here, had I been not saving that $11, I would not have to go through all this stress, lawyer’s fees and other costs.
I also think that had my daughter not taken the screenshot of acceptance and just waited for email confirmation, there was no way for her to prove that she actually paid on time.

2 Likes

@deesal Can you clarify some of the facts that are still not clear in this thread?

1. On Purdue’s web site, did she correctly matriculate to fall or summer+fall, or incorrectly to summer only? Or are you not sure?
  2. Did she correctly attempt to pay the deposit for fall or summer + fall, or incorrectly to summer only? Or are you not sure?
  3. Was the e-check based on entering your bank account routing number and account number into Purdue’s web site, or by going to your bank’s bill pay web site to initiate a payment from there?

If it makes you feel any better, I 100% would have done the same thing. No way I’m paying an $11 service fee for using a credit card
especially when I’m well within the dates of acceptance and they offer a free e-check as an acceptable method of payment. Plus, she called Purdue the next day!

I hope you stop beating yourself up over this. Seriously, I can tell you’re a great parent just by the way you’ve responded here.

And, I hope Purdue does right by your daughter!

4 Likes

@deesal Here is the list of NACAC colleges that are still accepting applications. As everyone is saying, it is best to move quickly. I think your daughter can apply to one of these while waiting for an answer from Purdue.

3 Likes
  • On Purdue’s web site, did she correctly matriculate to fall or summer+fall, or incorrectly to summer only? Or are you not sure?

–She picked Summer. She did not pick Fall.

• Did she correctly attempt to pay the deposit for fall or summer + fall, or incorrectly to summer only? Or are you not sure?

–The website asked her to pay $400. She paid it.

• Was the e-check based on entering your bank account routing number and account number into Purdue’s web site, or by going to your bank’s bill pay web site to initiate a payment from there?

–Entering Routing and Account number on Purdue’s site.

on 29th when she finished the submission, she showed it to me and we noticed that the fall selection option is still there. That is why she called on 30th to confirm that there is nothing more that she needed to do to join in summer and to accept the offer. She was told to that she took the right steps and that because she had picked summer option, it takes website 24-48 hours to reflect the status correctly.

1 Like

Thank you do much!

It seems to me that was the issue, not the e check. Hopefully you can talk to the Provost tomorrow and get this straightened out. I would stress that your D called and was told that everything was done properly and she was all set for the Fall.

4 Likes

I think just doing this was not the issue because now I know for sure that another kid who did exactly the same thing but used credit card, did not get rejected.
The glitch showed up when someone was doing this and paying with eCheck. The deadline was on May 1st which was a Saturday and the eCheck did not clear till Monday.

I would also like to add that after facing the issue with Purdue, I spent time on internet reading if a payment is considered late if the deadline is on Holiday or Weekend. Everywhere I checked, it states that if the deadline is on a weekend or Holiday, Payment is considered on time if it clears on next business day by 5:00 PM.

Here is an example link that states that - (this is just a credit card company explaining it). But this is what I have always seen. If my payment is due Sunday but received on Monday, is it late?

So I doubt that my payment was late. I would also add that Purdue has never stated that my payment was late. They have always said that there was a glitch in their system and they are very sorry.

3 Likes

This looks like the root cause of the problem.

Was the other student in a major that was not oversubscribed?

It could also be luck of the draw, in that the other student’s appeal was taken by someone more prone to leniency than your student’s appeal.

3 Likes

I did not ask the major. He was never rejected because he used the credit card and payment did not extend to May 3rd.

He did not have to appeal. He simply contacted them via text (I now have his screenshot of conversation) and was told to wait 24-48 hours and system will update itself.

1 Like

How can this be the root cause if they’re not welcoming her for summer, which I believe is what OP said her daughter wanted. If they gave her the option of summer and she picked it/wanted it/deposited for it
 there should be zero issues- and she’d also already be there for fall. There must be something we are still missing since they aren’t letting her start in summer or fall at all right now.

Here is what I just found on Purdue’s website -

“https://www.purdue.edu/push/Insurance/EnrollmentInformation/index.html”

" Enrollment Information

Open Enrollment

Open enrollment period for the fall semester ends September 8, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
Open enrollment period for the spring semester ends January 31, 2021 at 5:00 pm.

Those international students who do not have an approved waiver on file by the deadline will:

• have a hold placed on their account
  • have to purchase the Purdue Insurance plan
  • incur a $200 late fee

If the above deadline date falls on a weekend, the deadline is extended to the following Monday at 5 p.m. ET (Eastern Time)."

My son chose Bama last year because they were so over yielded there were parents complaining Purdue was putting freshman in off campus apts that required a bus. Even with the rate $10k scholarship for engineering, he chose Alabama bcuz of that.

2 Likes

I have been trying to figure it out for days and all I have heard them say is that it was a glitch on their side but they are over-enrolled and would not reinstate her. I fail to understand their reasoning.

In post 406, @deesal said that she picked summer, not fall or summer+fall (where summer+fall is what she apparently wants).

2 Likes

There were two options:

1. Summer
  2. Fall

There was no Summer+Fall option

2 Likes

Looks like she would have had to matriculate twice, once for fall and once for summer.

1 Like

That makes such little sense that if it’s set up that way it’s ridiculous. It’s just logical that if you pick summer you’ll stay for fall. If they need to both be done separately their system should really direct everyone to fall and then offer summer as an add-on after the fall enrollment is accepted.

12 Likes