Help needed with unfair rejection at Purdue

They were sympathetic and said they have never ever seen such situation. They did not know what to do.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. D already sent the email to VP. I am following up with a phone call.

1 Like

This says to me that the door is closed. They’re not really admitting it was their fault in any way and they’re not letting her start this summer or fall. It’s time to let Purdue go and find the next best place- which may be better in the long run if this is how they treat people anyway.

8 Likes

I have had email and phone conversations with multiple people. the person who talked and offered the options is “Senior Associate Director”. She informed me the director of admissions is aware and have talked to her about it.
It has not been easy to reach higher ups via phone, they are always busy. Even the Sr. Associate directory has first informed me that she can’t talk till Monday later she sent another message on Friday informing me that she has some free time to talk and I dropped everything and talked to her.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, she was admitted for Fall of 2021 NOT Summer Start and should have accepted Fall admission and subsequently submitted and Early Start form in the portal after accepting Fall. By accepting Summer Start not Fall, she didn’t properly accept her admission, right? I’m so sorry this happened. I think Summer Start vs Early Start seem so similar and confusing, even if the reply form said only accept for the start time you were accepted.
Edited to add: You are living a nightmare I had repeatedly when my child was deciding where to enroll. I can’t imagine how you feel.

2 Likes

Can she still attend in the summer then? If she paid and accepted summer start (no matter what the glitch), if this is all about semantics.

If she decides that she is accepted and willing to go elsewhere I would contact the school newspaper and let them run a story about this.

1 Like

You have to be invited to attend Summer Start in your acceptance

I’m sorry to hear you’re dealing with such a tough situation. Hopefully, in a few years, your daughter will be happy and successful in college and this will be mostly a memory!

That said, it concerns me that so much of the discussion with Purdue is happening over the phone, aka without leaving any paper trail. For instance, you say they acknowledged the glitch was in their system, but it doesn’t sound as if you have any record of them admitting that.

Indiana is a one-party consent state, so you can legally record your phone conversations with their admissions staff. You should probably do this, both for your own sense of clarity, and so you can share them with a lawyer if you do consult with one.

Because they are being so difficult, I think you need to either quickly get some active support in your conversations with them (a lawyer, a smoothtalking friend, a family member who’s a Purdue alum), or else accept that they are going to keep stonewalling you and get ready to walk away. You have tried most everything you can on your own, and unfortunately, it’s not working.

5 Likes

I agree, that their acceptance is verbal, however the glitch is real so if I ended up going further with it they will have to accept that there is a glitch and the did not fix it.
I also know that they other students selected summer option and were offered the slot. So if they don’t offer that to my D, then it is discrimination.

Not sure why people are talking about whether or not it’s worth going to the same school as friends or what her math performance is. It’s just not relevant to the issue at hand.

As an outsider to Purdue but have read all posts, I am not impressed with their response but the cherry on top of that is the “too busy to take the call” until some vague time later today after this has been going on a week already and multiple people are supposedly informed. It’s one student, and as someone upthread pointed out it needs 5 minutes of a senior someone’s time to sort this out. Hopefully this gets sorted out today and if not that she finds a school that really does love her back.

4 Likes

That is what I have been asking all these days and they keep on apologizing.

It was in the portal so she assumes she has the option of selecting it. She called to confirm that next day.

1 Like

After all these days, I have come to understand (I am now to this all) that Summer start is same as Fall Session. Students want to start a little early pick summer start.

1 Like

Who can be in Summer Start?

Students receive an invitation to start during summer as part of the admissions process. Students who are admitted for Fall 2021 may opt to participate in a similar program called Early Start. If you have questions, please contact us at thinksummer@purdue.edu.

Students who have accepted their offer of admission for Fall 2021 may request to switch to Early Start by submitting the Early Start form under the Reply Forms tab of their admissions application portal. When logging in, use the email address you provided on your admission application, not your @purdue.edu address. Early Start is available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you do not see the form in your application portal and have questions about your eligibility, please email us at thinksummer@purdue.edu or call us at (765) 496-7193.

2 Likes

I really feel for you, but I would not be surprised if the next person you talk to denies that there was ever a glitch and says your daughter made an incorrect selection on the website. The so-called glitch on their end isn’t real unless you have it in writing or in a recording from Purdue staff.

Keep in mind, the school has a whole stable of lawyers who will be counseling them on how to avoid legal exposure, including by denying, delaying, and avoiding your calls. Without your own lawyer, it’s hardly a fair fight :confused:

3 Likes

Agree completely. Record conversations and follow up with email confirming content of conversations. If you need to enlist a friend to have these conversations for you and get to the bottom of it that I would do that. I am tempted to call for you and get the answers😂.

The fact remains that it is absolutely within their power to admit your daughter even if they are overenrolled. This happens all the time. My guess is there is a strong likelihood that some child who was waitlisted has already been let in due to a phone call or political pressure. If the problem is physical dorm rooms, then offer to let your daughter be released from the housing contract and live off campus. Or go on a waitlist for housing. I would not take no for an answer. Bring up this thread on college confidential if you need to and tell them you would love to post a positive outcome because as of right now Purdue’s handling is unsatisfactory.

Do not let them make the E check an issue. They provided it as an acceptable form of payment. Going forward, if they need to change the wording on their website so e checks are not accepted after a certain date prior to commitment they need to do so. That is a non-issue particularly since your daughter was reassured by speaking to someone in the admissions office that she had done it right and you have screenshots of the payment acceptance.

I would continue to emphasize the fact that your daughter called someone in admissions and they told her not to worry about it. It doesn’t really matter who she spoke with to be honest with you. Even if it was just the person answering the phone it was the reason your daughter quit following up on it or making additional phone calls. They created this problem by telling your daughter that. The lack of sympathy to an 18-year-old navigating this process for the first time and a family who is also unfamiliar with the process as well is really shocking

11 Likes

I just called Vice Provost’s office and talked with her assistant. She was busy. I explained the situation and the urgency and requested for a call back. I am now waiting to hear back.

7 Likes

Thanks for taking time to write all of this. I have learned a lot things that I can use to get it resolved favorably

I hear you. I happen to have a software IT background and I believe I am able to figure out a lot about the glitch fairly right now. In fact, I wrote a post earlier documenting how Purdue should get this fixed in their software.

If they go down to dropping their ethics and start denying what they have already accepted, then I will have to go through legal route as I do expect ethical behavior from them.

In fact, during my first phone conversation the counselor listened to me kindly and told me that they know there is a glitch that causes this issue. He said they don’t know how it happens, I told him that I happen to have screenshots that can help and I provided them via email. I believe that the screenshots can give them timestamps when the event happened and provide clues to what to fix and how to fix it.

During a subsequent phone conversation a different counselor (probably manager of the earlier one) said that they are aware of the glitch that have caused this issue.

Just by a basic logical analysis, I can see that any student who paid on May 1st by eCheck will have an issue because banks were close and no payment was possible. If my echeck that was submitted two days earlier did not clear all of those students echecks should not have cleared as well.

I think very few students picked summer start and paid by echeck and that is why I am stuck. For the students who picked fall term and paid by eCheck, even though there is no way to accept their payment on May 1, Purdue seems to have accepted them.

3 Likes

THIS. I hope you have this response printed out in front of you for the call. There have been so many messages in this thread, and you have responded to every question, but that hasn’t stopped commenters here from jumping ahead to advice without the full story. It’s not that complicated. She noted the lack of confirmation, she called, they told her to wait. She did NOT wait until the last minute. The method of payment is irrelevant. If they offer that as an option on the site, it’s an option. Which summer program she wanted is also irrelevant.

5 Likes