Help needed with unfair rejection at Purdue

Ahhh, that is definitely important information; it may be possible they offer her a spot this summer as a way to fulfill their “legal” commitment to her acceptance. Do you know the OOS cost of the summer program?

1 Like

I don’t have any advice but as someone in the same class as your daughter, I know I would be very scared and down if this happened to me. Please reassure your daughter and update her on everything if you aren’t already. I’m sure she’ll appreciate knowing that her parent is proudly vying for her and helping to secure her future.

1 Like

I don’t know the OOS cost. What is it?

Is she willing to start this summer? If so, then why is that a problem? She’d start in the summer and then just go right into the fall.

This is a very normal thing in Florida - a good portion of the freshman class starts in the summer, second session, so they get 6-9 credits in prior to the fall ‘freshman’ session.

2 Likes

Have they told you the proposed solution? Also, what other colleges was she accepted to? I would begin reaching out to any other viable options that offered her admissions prior ASAP and explain to them the situation in detail about how you got screwed over by Purdue (go ahead and tell them it was Purdue, they deserve to be ashamed of what they did).

Out of state cost at Purdue is about $42,000 a year. That includes tuition, fees, room, board, books, transportation, student expenses.

Tuition, room and board are about $39,000. Per year.

These are costs for the full academic year.

For summer…

Summer Start Costs and Aid
Estimated Costs for Summer Start (seven credit hours) Nonresident
Tuition/Fees $7,198.50

Room/Board/Meals (13 meals per week) $1,250

Total $8,448.50

1 Like

Summer start costs: Costs and Aid - Summer Start - Purdue University

Some students can use summer start to graduate early depending on major.

Sounds like this wasn’t quite as clear cut as initially presented since the student deposited for the wrong program. Hopefully it can be remedied to everyone’s satisfaction.

2 Likes

As @thumper1 said, it’s the out of state cost. Just trying to prepare you for the possibility of them offering her a summer start spot as a way to “make it right.” The cost of OOS summer programs can be high, so I wasn’t sure if you’d considered what you would do if they offered her that option. Good luck; let us know what they say.

Oh. Now I understand. Yes, there ARE students who decide to start early in the summer. And there are also students who ONLY attend a school for summer school. She selected the wrong session, but it sounds as if their website is at fault, too, for having offered her that option without it confirming enrollment for the fall, too.

However, it doesn’t matter, because she noticed the problem BEFORE the deadline, called them, they must have told her they’d fix it, told her to wait patiently, and meanwhile, the deadline passed.

No surprise, the school is over-enrolled, after the missed year of the pandemic.

This is no longer such an open and shut case. I again suggest that you contact your US House Rep’s office, and ask the staff for your rep’s assistance by contacting his colleagues in IL, to put pressure on Purdue. An escalation could be one of your US Senators’ offices, for him to ask a Senate colleague for assistance.

But I would also contact an attorney tomorrow. Your daughter’s mistake in enrolling for the summer semester, instead of fall, precipitated the problem. I have enrolled my kids for summer semester at public colleges that they did not attend year round, and if I had mistakenly enrolled them for the wrong semester, it most definitely WOULD have caused big problems - and if the delay caused them to lose their classes, that would have been MY fault.

Your defense is that she DID call admissions the next morning, before the deadline, ask for help, and was told to wait - which, looking back, she should NEVER have accepted, verbally. She should have said, “The deadline will have passed by 24-48 hours. I need confirmation in WRITING.” But hindsight is 20:20. This is why I would work both angles - political, and legal. Do NOT go to the media at this point! She is at least partially at fault here.

6 Likes

100 %agree. Going to the media will do nothing since they need to check the facts and that can take time. Educational lawyer or regular with a quick call to the school to rectify. But it sounds like there was a mistake made by the OP… That’s why all the facts need to come out before we all jump to conclusions. Purdue doesn’t seem to have a history of making these types of errors. If she can start in the summer then so be it. That might be your best solution unless you want to wait till winter. I also might not understand all that has transpired.

Oh, they’ll let her go to summer school. They’d let a turnip enroll in summer school. They’re just not going to let her enroll for the fall now, and are holding mom off with a “We’re willing to work with you to find a solution, but we can’t take her for the fall.”

Summer start is not the same as summer school at Purdue.

From Purdue:

Purdue Summer Start is an award-winning five-week summer module designed to jump-start your college career. You’ll become familiar with campus resources, professors, other students, and the ins and outs of college living before the majority of the student body returns for the fall semester - all while earning credits towards your degree. Why should you accept your offer of admission to Summer Start?

1. Put yourself on track to graduate early. Full-time tuition for two summers is equal to one fall or spring semester. This means students in many majors have the opportunity to save on housing costs and generate additional income by graduating early. In fact, students who use summer classes to graduate early net an average of $22,300 to $52,094.

2. Live in the Catalyst Learning Community. The learning community will continue through the entire school year. Living on campus during summer means having the option of enjoying an early move-in, instead of coming to campus when more than 40,000 students arrive. This also means that you will have a guaranteed air-conditioned room for Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Spring 2022. Learning community activities throughout the academic year will allow you to create a supportive enrivonment and reach your full potential.

3. Complete seven regular course credit hours in only five weeks. All students will complete two 3-credit courses and one 1-credit freshman seminar course focused on getting to know the ins and outs of Purdue, time management, and successful study habits. These credits will allow you to utilize an additional summer to graduate early, add a minor, or lighten future credit loads during difficult semesters.

4. Be surrounded by a unique team of support. The team includes, but isn’t limited to, peer mentors, success coaches, academic advisors, resident assistants, college representatives, staff from the Division of Summer Session, and faculty members.

5. Earn a scholarship of up to $1,000! Participating in various activities throughout the year will result in up to $1,000 in scholarship money applied to your tuition, fees, and/or other expenses.

6. Be part of an award-winning program. NASPA, the world’s largest student affairs organization, named Summer Start as the 2020 recipient of the Promising Practices Award. Summer Start has also received the 2020 John N. Gardner Institutional Excellence for Students in Transition Award from the National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition.

2 Likes

That’s great, but it sounds like something one adds on, after one has put down one’s deposit and committed to enrollment for the fall semester.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s different this cycle but when my D as an incoming freshman there were two different summer tracks. This optional summer start option, or the mandatory early start for students who Purdue felt needed to have some catch up before Fall. My understanding was that summer start was open for enrollment to any students until they hit capacity.

@deesal I work in higher ed.

Do the following (some of this has already been suggested by others)

1. shame them on Twitter and other social media immediately, even if they say they will “work something out.” Do they have a FB page? Also post on that. Any Purdue social media is fair game.

2. find a lawyer to write them a strongly worded statement. Do you have a friend who is a lawyer that might be able to do this? If not, simply tell them “I have spoken with my lawyer and you should hear from her/him shortly.”

3. Write EVERYONE in the higher chain of command. This includes
    Dean of Admission
    Dean of Students
    Provost
    President of the University
    Chair of the Board of University Regents

What you can do is write a letter to the Dean of Admission and cc the rest of the others in the list and make sure they get copies of what you wrote to the Dean of Admission.

1. contact the Senators of Indiana and the US House representative of the county that Purdue is in. Also see if the state legislature has a Board or Committee on Education. You may also add them to the cc list on the letter advised in suggestion #3.
    Remember, by cc-ing many people on one letter you can scare those with the power to act (rather than sending separate letters). A dean of Admissions, for example, is going to say…oh $&*%. Those higher up the chain than me in the university (or legislature!) know about this. I can’t look like a fool so I need to resolve this ASAP.

If you want your daughter to be accepted you have to be persistent, loud, and contact everyone you can think of even while they say they are in the process of working on a solution. Don’t sit back and wait for them to solve it. The bureaucracy of the institution creates tremendous inertia. They are hoping you will just go away. This is why you need to be up in their grill until you get something IN WRITING

Good luck!

16 Likes

I am very sorry to hear this. This is not an unusual situation - not that it makes it better for you - but it does mean that it can be addressed if you make a big enough fuss about it.
Here is a New York Times article from 2017 when UC-Irvine rescinded the offer of admission to close to 500 students because they estimated their yield wrong.

2 Likes

I agree that the situation is not ideal, and that the system could have been clearer, but making a big stink in the public might not be the right approach. If you do, get ready for the push back based on the the fact that this originated by a mistake your daughter made.

8 Likes

Huh? You think this is normal?

IMHO, this is a very unusual situation. Happening once before four years ago doesn’t make it normal.

Please keep us updated. My D is graduating in two weeks and this is very unlike her experience over the last four years.

2 Likes

Unprecedented was probably the right word.

Make sure you record the names of who you spoke to, when you spoke to them (date and time wise) and what they said in case you need to go the legal route.

I don’t think they are denying due to over enrollment. It’s one kid. They’ve over enrolled in years past. There must be something more.

Yes you need to call the director of admissions. Then the presidents office.

You can tweet them etc

Just make sure the facts are as you say.