Help on college selection

Hi everyone,

My son has applied for BSN programs for 2018. He has accepted into a few schools. We have narrowed down to two schools. I’d like to hear your opinion on which school to choose.

1. Loyola Chicago, $20k merit scholarship, #103 in US News university overall ranking, #52/#34 in MSN/DNP ranking.
  2. University of Delaware, $8k scholarship, #81 in US News university overall ranking, but not ranking in MSN/DNP.

With the financial aids, the final costs of attendance are very close. UD is a very good school, but I am not sure why there is no ranking in MSN/DNP for UD. Can I say Loyola’s nursing program is better? Loyola is in the big city. There should be more opportunities? We have the hard time to decide. We will visit them in April. Hope it will help.

Thanks a lot!

If you search this site, you can find very positive things that people have said about UDel’s nursing program. I wouldn’t be too concerned about grad rankings in any case. Sometimes they are driven more by research reputation of the profs, not teaching quality for undergrads.

UDel is a very pleasant place to go to college - it is near larger cities, but not that big a city. The U. is big enough to have lots of activity, but not so big as to be overwhelming. There are two smaller hospitals inside Wilmington and a large hospital not far from Newark.

If you find that the two programs are similar in cost and quality, I’d pick the one that is closer to home. .

@Charliesch Thank you very much for your input. We will do more study.

NCLEX pass rates:

UDel: 93% first time, 98% overall http://sites.udel.edu/nursing/faqs/
Loyola Chicago: 90.53% https://www.luc.edu/nursing/bsn/

Assuming direct admission to the BSN programs, check each school to see if there is a high college GPA requirement (i.e. significantly higher than 2.0) to stay in the BSN program.

Does anyone has information in the Nursing program for NYIT?

Vicky - I suggest making that a separate thread so people will see it. I haven’t heard anything about it.

The NYIT program is not direct admit. It appears to be a 3 phase process and no guarantee of progression into the program itself even if you complete the prerequisite Nsg 101 course and have a good GPA. It appears highly competitive. I would suggest a focus on direct admit nursing programs.

UDel is very nice - if my daughter could have gotten adequate scholarship there I would have had her apply!