Help: UCD or UCSD

<p>For someone I know, involved in Civil Engineering.
UCSD is ranked higher, but aside from the ranking, is there a huge difference? (Both academically, and in the “college life” sense)</p>

<p>Thank you very much</p>

<p>The school's "college lives" are going to be significantly different. Think about what each has to offer and which fits you better. VISIT EACH SCHOOL, overnight visits are better than day "campus tour" visits. Above that, take note of rankings, but don't let that change your mind if you like one school over the other. Especially don't let the trivial ranking difference between UCSD and UCD dictate where you go, the two schools will give you virtually the same education and open up the same doors.</p>

<p>Cal Poly SLO is better for this major and cheaper.</p>

<p>Thanks, but please read the topic title. ;)</p>

<p>ucsd is more city and stuff to do and davis is more secluded and college townish? if that helps at all... you should try to visit if you can</p>

<p>UCD is exactly 11 miles from a big city, LOL.</p>

<p>lol. giggle giggle. anyway, sacramento isn't the most exciting city in the world. davis is beautiful though and really cuteee.</p>

<p>I LIVE in Sacramento and it is a very fun city. Have you even been to Sacramento???</p>

<p>yup. it bored me to tears. oh well. davis is still nice though.</p>

<p>You must have been with boring people....LOL. And Davis is awesome.</p>

<p>Sacramento is good if you live here and know the places to go to, but that's true for wherever your friend will wind up. (I'm from Roseville, which is in the suburbs.)</p>

<p>As someone said earlier, does your friend want a big city or a more secluded college town?</p>

<p>Me personally, because I'm from Northern California, I would choose UCSD <em>although I didn't get in ;_;</em> because it's in Southern California and a change in environment. Ask your friend what kind of atmosphere they're looking for.</p>

<p>Debbie427 my d said the same thing until she visited and stayed over night there.</p>

<p>hey everyone, so i live in la jolla (ten minutes away from UCSD) and i have been involved with different programs on the campus during the last decade.
a couple key notes:
- the campus is very divided and weirddd.
- no spirit whatsoever
- no college town to walk to (its a 20 minute walk, on a busy street)
- a CAR would be a necessity to really see the city (public transportation sucks)
- good good theater! both for viewers and actors alike
-VISIT! I have visited 33 college campus (crazy i know) and even though i didnt really ever consider UCSD it would not be in the top 25 at all. just depends on what u like tho. </p>

<p>hope this helps.</p>

<p>sac is not a fun city...ive been living here for 4 years...and i am finally getting outa here...but it may be just my problem...</p>

<p>Lol you visited 33 campuses, and UCSD only is in your top 25. You must of not liked UCSD much or you visited the nation's top 30 prettiest colleges.</p>

<p>hey give ucd 4 years and it will top ucsd as the third uc following la and cal. academically, maybe not but in every other regard.</p>

<p>yeah, we really need more information about what kind of school you want. UCD is very spirited (I would be too if I were something cool like the Aggies or the Slugs ;)) but UCSD you probably wont have many distractions...
I would go to UCD if it were me, but im an Ag/Environmental Science Major, so I like the cows next to the freshman dorms.
Also, UCSD and San Diego in general get old. fast.
is it the same for those living in NorCal?</p>

<p>Thanks for all the info.! She decided on UCD. :)</p>

<p>you're easy enough, cuz you're not falling into the hard decision between ucsd/ucsb which many students encountered last year and this year.</p>

<p>different people may have different situations, but in your case i don't think it's hard at all to make a decision between ucsd and ucd -- simply take out ucd and put it behind...</p>

<p>lijfc_pa: The OP already decided on UCD, but I don't think it's really necessary to emphasize putting UCD "behind" - I'm sure many people have many reasons for choosing either university.</p>

<p>Congratulations on the decision though! What lead her to choose UCD?</p>