Help understanding my schedule

<p>For EngE 1024, your teacher <em>really</em> doesn’t matter, the lecture period (which is the only time you’ll see your teacher) is comprised simply of a series of announcements, and the homework and assignments are standardized across all of the EngE 1024 class sections. Feel free to move it around if it’s possible and convenient, your TA makes a far larger impact on the course.</p>

<p>For Calc, wait until the first week or so. Eventually those “staff” slots are replaced with professors. Until then, you’re just going to have to bide your time.</p>

<p>Just to note just because you sign up for a class with a specific professor, doesnt mean youll get that professor, there are times that theyll switch professors within a day or two of class starting.</p>

<p>I’d argue that your professor does matter some for EngE 1024, but never positively. To be honest I don’t remember who I had for the second semester of EngE but he wasn’t terrible so I never noticed. Ohanehi was terrible for the first semester. He had no idea what was going on in the class and was just generally unintelligible.</p>

<p>your professor doesn’t matter much because the tests are common and there isn’t much studying you can do anyways. Some are worse than others, though. That’s not to say the tests are hard or easy; your study time just might be better spent elsewhere.</p>

<p>i think the link that got *ed out was k00fers.com (replace the 0s with the letter O) which is an amazing website. Schedule maker, past assignments/exams/notes, and more ratings are being posted all the time. Don’t pick professors necessarily by their GPA statistics as their presentation method is a bit wonky.</p>

<p>Yeah, ko0fers started at VT, so it’s wildly popular here. ESPECIALLY with lower level classes that engineers take. Use ko0fers, a lot.</p>

<p>And yeah, all the tests are the same. It’s really a dumb class and they need to replace it with, well, anything else.</p>

<p>Do they still use Alice for the second semester to “teach” you “programming?” That was the most absurd thing I’ve ever seen.</p>

<p>There’s actually two different classes you can take second semester. EngE 1114 is the standard class that most people take, and it’s essentially a continuation of the first semester EngE 1024 stuff. They primarily use LabVIEW first semester to “teach” you “programming” and use MATLAB second semester. All of the programs you create are really basic and frankly a bit boring.</p>

<p>You can also opt to take EngE 1104, which is oriented more towards technical engineering majors like electrical engineering and computer disciplines, although you can use it in place of EngE 1114 for any major. The assignments tend to be more varied (there’s LabVIEW, MATLAB, C++, breadboards, etc.) but still pretty simple. There’s one project, no homework to speak of, and only one test (the final, all of the questions are revealed beforehand). Even if you’re not a technology-focused engineering major, I’d still recommend taking it over EngE 1114.</p>

<p>The course you take second semester will be dependent upon what major you’re planning to be in. CS, EE, CpE (and others?) take 1104 and it’s much more directed at their topics. Other engineers will take 1114 where you’ll have way more work, less fun, and realize you should switch to a cooler engineering.</p>

<p>I kid, mostly :slight_smile: You’ll have way more homework and your tests are more difficult because the 1104 kids don’t have homework or tests really. I know they did things like CAD, revisited (and were brutalized moreso than in 1024) technical drawing, ‘learned’ MATLAB, and did another project. The 1114 kids did way more programming than 1104 kids.</p>

<p>I think if you’re not in a path that requires 1104 that you’ll need to take a separate bridge course if you choose the wrong second semester ENGE class. I don’t think you can freely swap 1114 for 1104 or vice versa.</p>

<p>1024 does its <em>programming</em> with LabVIEW now. And yeah, all of the programs you make are things you would never use LabVIEW for. Don’t underestimate its potential for interfacing with devices, however. There’s a reason the tool is widely used.</p>