Help!!! What are my chances of getting into nursing school?

Hi Everyone,

I’m a high school senior and I’m going to be applying to colleges very soon. I really want to get into nursing school and work in the hospital in the future. During high school, I have had a lot of ups and downs and this has caused me to really struggle in school. My GPA and my SAT scores are all below average. I would just like to know peoples experiences ( for anyone who has applied to nursing schools. I’m trying to get into a direct entry program but I am willing to do 4 years of biology/biochem and then graduate nursing school considering my Stats are lower than the avg applicant.

My Schools as of now (not in any specific order):
University of San Francisco (Top Choice)
CSU San Diego
CSU San Jose
CSU Long Beach (pre-nursing)
CSU Sonoma
CSU Sacremento
Dominican University of California
University of Pittsburg
University of Portland
]University of San Diego (Biology)
UC Davis (Biology)
UC Santa Cruz (Biology)
UC Riverside (Biology)
University of Nevada, Reno (Pre-Nursing)

Here are my stats:

GPA unweighted: 3.3
GPA weighted: 3.5

SAT: 1330
ACT: 26

Some extracurriculars:

-AVID Student - 4 years
-Fashion Club- 4 years
-I volunteer at a children Daycare center
-I volunteer at an elderly home

Please be honest and I will not be offended if you tell me straight up if certain schools are impossible for me to be accepted. I would like honest feedback on my chances for the schools on my tentative list and if there are other schools that you would reccomend.

Thank you so much!!

Your SAT and ACT scores are good enough to get you in at most schools on the East Coast, I’m not familar with the West Coast’s standards, but I would assume they are not that far off. You can always explain any extenuating circumstances in an application that would help to identify any weaknesses.

California schools:
Sonoma/Sacramento: Very Possible for Pre-Nursing
Dominican University: Possible Match
USF: Slight Reach
Long Beach: Slight Reach
San Jose: Possible Match
UCR: Possible Match
UCSC: Slight Reach
USD: Slight Reach
UC Davis: Reach
San Diego State: Reach

Not familar with the OOS schools. With some compelling essays, USF, USD and UCR could be Match schools. Have you considered Azusa Pacific University for Direct Entry?

Best of luck and California schools are pretty tough

Thank You @Gumbymom for the list and recommendation!
Azusa Pacific University was one of the first schools I considered but when I was filling out their application on their website, I noticed that there was a whole category asking about religion and my involvement in religious activities and I have not participated in religious activities since middle school so I didn’t know if the school would be a right fit for me.
I am going to one of their info meetings soon so maybe I will change my mind.

APU does have the religious aspect to their school so it would be important to feel that it is a good fit.

Thank you @kfox26 for the reply!
I am currently researching East coast schools but I don’t particularly want to leave my family so I’m still considering.
Do you have any recommendations of East Coast schools (with nursing major)?

Take a look at these threads for ideas:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/2088606-wants-to-apply-to-direct-entry-nursing-great-well-rounded-student-but-low-test-scores-what-to-do.html#latest

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/1968104-direct-nursing-admit-journey-for-a-california-a-b-student.html#latest

Your GPA is a little on the low side for USF. Try to arrange an interview with an admission counselor, be knowledgeable about the USF program, what you think you can bring to the program and why you feel it is your first choice. Learn about the Jesuit tradition and philosophy and discuss this in the interview. Have you run the NPC for your private schools?

Thank you @ECmotherx2 for the tips. I am definitely researching about USF and the Jesuit tradition. Also, what is NPC(Sorry a little clueless about it)?

NPC is the net price calculator. It helps to determine what your family contribution to the cost of your education will be as well as the cost of attending a particular institution. Each college and university has this tool on their website. It is very important for your family to use this as well as to investigate any merit or financial aid offered by the schools that you are interested in attending.