HELP: What is the reality of being wait-listed this year?

<p>My D2 is wait-listed for VT Fall 2010 (Biological Sciences). Would anyone care to speculate on what her chances really are?</p>

<p>From the VT Wait List FAQ:
Last year, we made offers from our wait list; 859 in 2009; 0 in 2008; 0 in 2007; 121 in 2006; 0 in 2005.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I am going to guess that the high number in 09 was really more about the massacre in 07 and the shooting in 09. A lot of parents in our area are hesitant about the safety of their kids. At our DD’s hs, several of her friends were told by their parents you cannot apply there, I think that is also a reason JMU had a bumper crop this year besides the economy. I would think you will see some come off, but I would bet it is a low number.</p>

<p>Also, the stats to really look into is if a certain program statistically has more come off the list than others.</p>

<p>the other stat I would look at is how many kids applied, if it was a bumper crop, than the chances would be lower. Bumper means to me that they announce that they broke their applicant record. They always offer more than they can take, knowing that people will decline, it really is a crap shoot.</p>

<p>Yeah, that’s a load of BS. Applications shot up dramatically after april 16th, as did the yield. I’m sure some ignorant parents forbade their children from coming here but that wasn’t at all the norm. Just look at 2007 and 2008, the first two years after April 16th, where no one was let in off of the waiting list. </p>

<p>This year is pretty unpredictable as far as the waiting list goes. With the economy they’re probably expecting a higher yield than average in-state, but who knows how much they adjusted admissions based off of that. All you can do is wait and see, and learn to love the best school you already got in to.</p>

<p>Chuy,
I agree it is ignorant to not allow out of fear, but I will say, I heard this a lot from our DD’s friends. I heard last fall at the football games (the few I went to). Parents felt that they would rather see their child go to JMU over Tech. I thought it was nuts, but it was common place talk. </p>

<p>I agree that the way the economy is they are going to expect more IS to say YES. Typically, at least from my understanding the acceptance number stays in the same ball park, but the % will change. For example, they might expect 40% of their acceptances to matriculate, thus they keep the number around let’s say 11K acceptances, now if they have a bumper crop of 25K, the acceptance rate decreases. Now let’s say that they noticed that 50% of acceptances have matriculated over the past 5 yrs, they may change their numbers to a lower amount of acceptances and a higher amount of wait listing.</p>

<p>If you also look back, many VA parents had fits because the IS rate was 70%, now it is 75%. NoVA also was very upset that many of their students were being rejected since they were on a 7pt scale with a 0.5 w for APs. They readjusted the grading policy because of this.</p>

<p>Colleges are playing around now with the wait listing because they can’t judge the economy, yet they only have so much room. </p>

<p>Additionally kids have added a new wrinkle in the scenario by applying to many more universities, especially state which means this must be added into the equation. Two of our DD’s had with her acceptance letter a drop dead date if she did not respond, and it was May 1st. Our DS’s 2 yrs ago all had a drop date of June 1st or later.</p>

<p>In the end it is a wait and see, and it S*CKS as a student or a parent to feel helpless, but there is absolutely nothing you can do. I think many posters want reassurance, which known of us can give. If they can’t have reassurance than they would like to know why, and we are all there with our own varying explanations to explain from our personal life experience. None of us are the ones that stamped ACCEPTED/WAITLISTED/DECLINED, we just all have heard various stories.</p>

<p>I think the increases in number of college applicants in the last year or two created more uncertainty of being accepted to the college of choice. People are applying to more schools for safety. Colleges no knowing how many will actually enroll, increased the number of waitlists so that they do not over enroll. Easier to fill the class with waitlist than trying to figure what to do with to many students. </p>

<p>vtmom347: Keep your hopes up. There is a spot out there. S2 was accepted to Bio and does not plan attend.</p>

<p>Bulletandpima, you sound like you’re flaming. Not only did our applications increase by like 9%-10%, the retention rate for freshman from 06-07 coming back for the 07-08 school year was 94% which is a decade high, although usually it’s still around 91-93%(which includes fail outs). Sounds like you talk to some pretty controlling parents: mine let me go where ever I wanted.</p>

<p>I actually am a social butterfly at these events (football/school). I have no “clique”. We all sit and yack. I am No VA, and so many parents discuss where the kids are applying to. Many were shocked that I said our DD’s number 1 choice was Tech. Each time I announced that, parents looked at me as if I was insane. It was usually followed with, oh you only moved here in 08, so I am sure you don’t know about the massacre (HUH…just because I didn’t live in VA, doesn’t mean I missed the national news!) I always would defend Tech by stating if anything it is probably much safer than any other VA school because of what they went through.</p>

<p>I allow my kids to go wherever they want, I would never deny them their dream. However, as a parent I also do understand the fear even if it is irrational. To some Tech is on par with JMU, so they would rather their child go there. Again irrational, but that is their choice and I am not paying their kids tuition bill.</p>

<p>Retention rate really has very little to do with getting off the waitlist, if anything it helps/hurts transfers. </p>

<p>As I have stated, waitlists are a crap shoot because nobody, not even admissions knows how many will accept or decline. The economy is probably the biggest driving force for a state wait list regarding movement.</p>