Help with app please!!

<p>Hi, so my son is doing the app right now, and for some reason on the "campus specific" page, it has him applying to the "Education (School of)", which he is not at all, and they won't let us change it (it's the only option he has). He is applying as a History major, can somebody help us?</p>

<p>Are you sure you aren’t filling out the graduate application by mistake? </p>

<p>By the way, I do feel like it is your son’s job to be finding out the answers to these questions, not yours. I don’t want it to come out the wrong way, but when there are students like me, taking initiative for our own problems without parental guidance, I feel threatened when other grown adults are doing the real work for the student. This is HIS job not yours. It is also only his concern.</p>

<p>As I recall, the school and major are chosen in the biographical part of the app way at the beginning. Maybe it defaults to School of Education or he wasn’t careful chosing it. Once you’ve gotten to the school specific part of the app, I don’t think you can change it. I know my son tried getting back to it at one point and couldn’t though he wasn’t looking to change anything. I don’t recall if there’s a way to delete the entire app and start over. You may have to register as a new user and start over.</p>

<p>Note to Steve: Not sure why you wouldn’t seek guidance from parents if they are able to help. Most HS students do. Did you seek guidance from GC, teachers or anyone else? Why not parents too. It’s what parents do. You’re way off base here. It is her son that is filling it out. I don’t think asking a question on a message board is doing the real work. And most parents are concerned about their kid’s futures so it is their concern too. If your parents aren’t able to provide guidance for some reason, I admire your initiative. If they are but you don’t want it, that’s probably short-sighted.</p>

<p>Good post, a-dad. Good luck to your son, c-mom. The school or major won’t affect his admission so it isn’t a disaster even if he doesn’t amend the app.</p>

<p>I’ve got to chime in here. Steve, you’re way off base. Parents should be involved in certain aspects of the college application process. It’s a collaborative effort between parents, their child, the HS Guidance Counselor, and the teacher recommender(s). My son, as I’m sure you are, is working hard in school now. He’s selected the schools he’s interested in, written the essays and short responses, and completed the application, but the rest of the process is just tedious, involved paperwork. Making sure that all supporting documents are sent and received, participating in these boards to make sure nothing has been missed etc. My son could and would do all that, if needed, but I’d rather him concentrate on his final year of studies. I’ve got the time, and the attitude to followup on the paperwork, so I do.</p>

<p>But, as David Letterman says…“The number 1 reason that parents are involved in their children’s college application process is…”, we’re kicking in for the vast majority of the bills!</p>

<p>A college education is a huge investment. One of the biggest expenses families have. My son has done (Grades, Tests, Course Rigor), and is doing his part, and I’m actively participating in the process as (1) his primary supporter, and (2) his secretary/treasurer.</p>

<p>I can totally understand each one of your view points, but the playing field needs to be even. I’ve had countless counselors, assistant principals, career finders, and teachers tell us again and again, “At all costs, this is you responsibility not your parents.” Keep in mind the U.S. IB coordinator is present at our school and has told us this time and time again. It is the students duty to take 100% responsibility over everything in the application process, including the paperwork. After all, it’s the student’s life, and Mom and Dad won’t be there during college to help. I just feel like the Son should be making this post not the Mom. I’m sorry for hijacking this thread and for being rude(as I have been), but I feel like there have been a few students out there that have gotten in with an unfair advantage. Not making any claims, but I had to get this off my back. I hope people can agree with me.</p>

<p>Back to the original message. Son did have to delete and start over to change major. It is somewhere in the FAQ’s about this. I can’t remember, but I think some stuff got saved so he didn’t have to do a lot of redundant typing. Check FAQ’s.</p>

<p>Of course it is the student’s job to do apps, but there is information needed from others as well. Quick- how many of you know all the data asked about your parents? Double check for that college they went to, etc. My husband and I will have the other double check forms to be sure we have the correct info- good to have someone proofreading.</p>