Help with Architecture Interest

First, thanks to all for any and all help. My D24 has always leaned into the STEM fields, but she has been the artist and designer in the family. This past week while visiting our son in college, she started talking about architecture programs (which is great because she is finally showing interest in something). Wife and I know nothing about architecture or architecture programs. Wife is a pediatrician. I am a lawyer. We learned about engineering schools for son. So…now it is architectural programs. I have done some initial research and seen that there are B.A.'s, B.S.'s, B.Arch.'s, and M.Arch.'s. It is my understanding that the Bachelors you obtain plays into the length of your M.Arch. Are there some joint B.Arch./M.Arch. programs (K-State)? What do I need to know? Where do I learn what schools focus on specific types of architecture (Oregon on environmental, LSU on coastal, etc.)?

We are on a budget (aren’t most of us?). So, the potential for a fifth year is problematic. We would like to keep the total cost of attendance (less scholarships) that we pay around $200K. Our in-state is Tennessee (normally, none of us would ever, in their right mind, consider UT-K…but it has a good architecture program which has us reconsidering that).

D24 is the outdoorsy, adrenaline junky in the family (rescue-certified diver and rock climber). She is also gay (but then, so is son and he is at Alabama with all gay friends). She is an all IB student with high grades and will do well on her standardized tests (none taken yet).

Most importantly, what questions and concerns should I be asking or considering that I am not asking or considering?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Before drilling down exclusively on architecture (and anticipating an informative post from @momrath on that front!)… for an outdoorsy/artistic student, I’d be encouraging her to compare architecture with landscape architecture, and see whether perhaps the latter might appeal more. While some landscape architects focus on the “designing people’s yards” aspect, there are many who focus on the design of public spaces and how they impact the way communities function. An “outdoor adventure” oriented person might be able to find opportunities in the design of recreational spaces.

As you say, UT-K has undergrad architecture, but their landscape arch program is only grad-level. So, you’d be eligible for the SREB reciprocity rate for BLA/BSLA programs at LSU, MSU, UK, and UGA (although the discount is only for jr/sr years at UGA).

5 Likes

Okay…had not thought of that, and it is an excellent point. I always thought of landscape architecture as designing yards. Aside from the schools you mentioned, where should I look.

1 Like

Clemson has a top-notch program and an informative website - could be a good one to look at as an intro, although I don’t know how it would shape up on the cost side. Landscape Architecture (B.L.A.) | Degree Programs | Clemson University, South Carolina

I don’t know if CU Boulder would be a realistic choice, cost-wise, but it sounds ideal for her both fit-wise (super LBGTQ+ friendly and super rock-climbing friendly!) and academically. The School of Environmental Design has a common first-year program, allowing students to explore before choosing among focuses in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Environmental Product Design, and Planning & Urban Design. It’s a project-based curriculum, and a small, supportive school within the large university. Curriculum | Environmental Design | University of Colorado Boulder Downside is the undergrad cost plus the two remaining years of grad school if she pursues becoming a licensed architect or landscape architect.

But, those are two good programs to look at, in terms of figuring out what appeals to her, even if they’re not good fits financially.

SUNY ESF is relatively affordable and has a very outdoorsy student body, plus access to many of the resources of Syracuse U. Department of Landscape Architecture

Cal Poly SLO has 5-year BArch and BLA programs. UW Seattle and U of Oregon also have both.

Would your family qualify for need-based aid at full-need met schools like Cornell, Northeastern, etc?

That’s just a quick off-the-top-of-my-head answer - I’m sure there are good ones I’m forgetting.

2 Likes

If your daughter might like to study broadly across the arts and sciences before making a full commitment to architecture, she should consider Hobart and William Smith’s architectural studies program.

1 Like

Oh fair question. No, we would not qualify for any need-based aid.

Here’s a more comprehensive list: American Society of Landscape Architects

Virginia Tech could be another good mountain-adjacent school to look at, with both BLA and BArch programs.

1 Like

If your daughter prefers architecture to landscape architecture, this list indicates all the NAAB-accredited programs in the country. It will specify whether the program is a B. Arch (5-years) or M. Arch. I’ve found that many schools that only offer the M. Arch will offer an undergrad B.S. or B.A. in Architecture that can speed the process up. https://www.naab.org/accredited-programs/accredited-programs/

I can’t think of any examples off the top of my head, but I’ve heard of some schools where all the students in the “design” majors take the same classes first year and then specialize in architecture, landscape architecture, etc, starting in their second year.

Also, one thing to note about architecture programs is that many either require a portfolio to get into the major when you first apply to the college, or if the college allows any students to start in the major, there is a secondary application point (with a portfolio) to continue in the program. Just another aspect to add into the calculus of things depending on whether you like to have the sure-thing and guaranteed slot (which is probably harder to get in the first place) or whether you risk not getting into your major a year in to college (but during that year you get additional, tailored experience that would likely improve your portfolio ability).

I’d look at U. of Arizona or Arizona State as there are good outdoors opportunities, and U. of A especially has very generous merit aid…not far off from Alabama. U. of A. offers both a B. Arch and an M. Arch, so your daughter would have lots of options about how she wanted to get licensed. And the Barrett Honors College at U. of A. has a really excellent reputation.

U. of Arkansas has great outdoorsy options, gives lots of merit aid, and offers a B. Arch. Because Tennessee borders Arkansas, she’d be able to go for very little more than in-state students (they have special scholarships for neighboring states).

Montana State is in a gorgeous location for those who love the outdoors, and its M. Arch is 3 semesters past its B. in Environmental Design.

U. of New Mexico has a great location in Albuquerque and there have been lots of families who’ve spoken well of it. It gives very generous merit aid and has an M. Arch.

I suspect that U. of Arizona, U. of Arkansas, and U. of New Mexico would all get you 5-years for $200k, and quite possibly 6+ years. I don’t know enough about Montana State’s scholarships to know if that one would be similarly priced for your D.

1 Like

Since your daughter has over a year to research the various options that could lead to a career in architecture, my suggestion would be to concentrate first on the most suitable degree, then on finding schools that offer that degree, that appeal to your daughter and that are affordable.

I’m a parent of an architect, not an architect myself. Over the years I’ve observed the various educational paths of my son’s MArch classmates and architecture firm colleagues and can only conclude that there are many, many possible approaches.

I would encourage your daughter to enroll in an architecture career exploration program over the summer to get a better idea of what architecture, both in education and in career, entails. I note that U of Tennessee’s Summer Design Camp might be a good starting place, but many schools of architecture, all over the country, offer similar programs. It’s also a good way to build an admissions portfolio, which many BArchs and some BS/BA programs require.

The Bachelor OF Architecture is usually a 5 year program. Generally it is intensely and narrowly architecture focused. The drop out rate for BArch programs tends to be high, I think because it’s difficult for high school students to anticipate what they’re getting into: The creative types may find too much emphasis on technology and structures. The science types may find the studios and critiques daunting. The ability to express and defend design concepts both verbally and visually is a skill that few high schoolers have had a chance to develop and the experience can be stressful.

My observation has been that schools of architecture want to hold on to their students and consequently provide a lot of information up front about what to expect. It’s important to take advantage of information sessions and opportunities to talk to faculty and interact with current students.

If in a year’s time, your daughter is 100% sold on going for a BArch, then UTK’s program would be a solid choice. The BArch is a terminal degree, with which it’s possible to begin the process of becoming a licensed architect. Generally, licensure takes 2-3 years, depending on motivation.

BArch and MArch programs are regulated by the national architecture board and although there are differences in emphasis, the curriculums will more or less cover the same material. There are some 40+ BArch programs in the US, public and private, located all over the country. The costs will vary so you need to research one by one. A few that I’d look at would be Auburn, Tulane, Oregon.

If on the other hand, she’s interested but wants to keep her options open, then I would suggest looking at a BA/BS IN Architecture (or architectural studies, or environmental design) + an MArch. These can be 5 or 6 years (or more) in total but offer a great deal more flexibility than the BArch. Some that I’d look at would be UVA, UMich, WUSTL, Clemson. Northeastern and Cincinnati offer co-op elements that may help defer costs.

It’s also possible to get a BA/BS at one institution and an MArch at another. A funded undergrad degree can make an expensive MArch more affordable. The BA/BS could also lead into architecture adjuncts like landscape, planning, construction, technology. Architecture is a very broad field with lots of niches and specialties. Internships and connections made during undergraduate years can open doors that might not have been previously apparent.

6 Likes

have a kid who is completing her second year of a MArch; after a BS in architecture design. She had a transfer in early on in college which set her back, so this is now her 7th year of college and she’s getting tired of it! (but loves architecture). MArch (east coast) is pricey; undergrad was at a state school.

three thoughts - some already mentioned:

1. go to a summer camp to see if she’s interested. could save some major-changes in college.

2. she’ll also figure out if she really is interested in the BArch or MArch to begin with - which are very intense timewise and offer no minors or other programs to switch to.

3)a kid can get a major in anything and go on to grad school for a MArch; it will just take 3 years rather than two with a BS in arch. That’s because it takes practice and hour upon hour learning how to literally build things & draw things. Like piano, it cant be learned overnight or in a week. some of the skills take a long time to learn.

we’ve heard many times over the years that arch firms hire regionally; might want to ask about that and ask where she sees herself down the road. Love sharing thoughts. Daughter wrote about being an architect in a second grade booklet for her class; so we’ve been living this for 17 years now!!

theres a list of schools on Design Intelligence with rankings. it’s interesting. I’ve heard lots of good about arkansas.

1 Like

I walked in your shoes fourteen years ago. My experience is old, so I don’t have much to offer in terms of programs.

Kansas State has a good web-site that explores the different options (architecture, landscape arch, interior design, industrial design). It might be a good place for your daughter to see the various ways a design major can take.

https://apdesign.k-state.edu/academics/degrees-and-programs/

Also, if she could find some architects to shadow or talk to, that can be helpful. The field in practice can be very different than the field students believe it is. My son talked to several architects (parents of classmates) who even tried talking him out of it, but he was determined. Two years into the program he realized it wasn’t for him.

He went on to get a PhD in a field that still uses spatial skills, math and science, even some of the art, but much better suited to him. I don’t believe his first two years were a waste at all, but he still took 5 years to graduate with a BS because very little of his architecture credits transferred to another degree program.

3 Likes

Your daughter may also want to consider architectural and/or structural engineering. She sounds a lot like my D, who ended up studying architectural (BS) and structural (masters) engineering in Chicago. Turns out she really loves the city—all those buildings!

Illinois Institute of Technology has a competitive full tuition scholarship that covers all five years of an architecture program or a bachelors+masters co-terminal degree in other areas.

2 Likes

@csfmap posted the webpage I was going to from K-State. My son had several friends that went through the program there and really enjoyed it. They school is really nice and they students do get great jobs all over the country. I think it is worth visiting. My son did not think too much of the school and Kansas being from a big city but fell in love with it as soon as he visited. The culture of professors getting to know students and it’s reputation of having the happiest students is real. The scholarship my son got would have been good through the entire 5 years (MArch) had he been in the architecture program which is really nice. We found the school very affordable from OOS with good scholarships. Can’t give you much other than that since he was Animal Science and now in their Vet School but he has liked it enough that he is considering doing his Residency there too. Lots of good choices out there but don’t overlook this one!

1 Like

@graysondutch may have some insight on this topic!

my D was pretty impressed with IIT. she didnt go there; but it was her second choice (partly because of funding opps) for her masters.

Hi @Peruna1998,

My name is Grayson and I am currently a first-year architecture major at the University of Southern California.

Speaking from experience so far this semester, architecture is a hard major. If your daughter is going to major in it, she has to be passionate about it. The work is intensive, requiring multiple hours of work put in outside of class time. The professor critics are often pretty harsh as well. I don’t mean to scare you, but its pretty intense. I have heard that the first year is the worst, they try to weed out those who aren’t dedicated to the work. I don’t know if it’s like that at all schools, but it’s like that at USC, and it’s a highly acclaimed program.

I realized my interest in the major during middle school, and pretty much solidified that by sophomore year. I did a couple of design programs during the summer to explore that interest. I did a summer program at the Fay Jones School of Architectural Design at the University of Arkansas during my freshman and junior year. We actually got to work in the studio, which gives you an opportunity to see what it’s actually like during undergrad.

So for the difference in programs, there are 5 year professional undergrad programs (which is what I am doing at USC) and then 4 year undergrad programs. If they are a 5 year, it means you have the eligibility to get your license after graduation. If you do a 4 year and want to get licensed your going to have to do a 2 year professional masters program after your 4 year program. Most of the schools I applied to had 5 year programs, besides the Ivy League schools which all have 4-year programs (except Cornell). Since you are on a budget, I would recommend applying to the state school programs since they are typically cheaper. Arkansas and Auburn are good choices. I would look into it more though because I really don’t have that much knowledge on the state schools, besides Arkansas.

I also applied to quite a few more selective 5 year programs (which are also more expensive). If your daughter has an impressive application, I wouldn’t count these schools out. Most of these schools have hefty scholarships which they give out to those with high merit. I ended up getting a full ride from USC, and I wouldn’t be here without that so.

If you have any more questions don’t be shy to message me!

3 Likes

Some BS programs, like Northeastern, then have a plus one year for the masters (MARCH) so it’s still five years of arch classes. northeastern also adds in coops so students build in two 6 month coops which break up the rigors of the studio culture and also gets students 2/3rd the way towards IXP hours towards licensure.
It seems there are many ways arch programs are designed. Depends on how they are accredited.

2 Likes

Hi,

I have a jr who’s potentially interested in architecture. Could you provide some information on what extracurriculars you did to help you stand out in your application to architecture programs?

Do you have any advice on how to determine which programs are more studio focused?

Also are summer design/architectural programs competitive? We’re potentially interested in applying to the Fay Jones School of Architectural Design at the University of Arkansas and University of Houston.

Do you have other summer programs that you would recommend?

Thank you!

I’m the parent of an architect, not an architect myself, but I can give you my observations:

There aren’t a lot of architecture focused ECs so you have to improvise. The objective is to gain an understanding of architecture basics, build a portfolio and add resume items that demonstrate an interest.

The art portfolio isn’t exactly an extracurricular, but at many architecture programs, it carries a good deal of weight in admissions, so now is the time to get to work on assembling it.

I would also recommend self-study of architectural art history, getting familiar with styles and vocabulary through books, websites and just looking at buildings, at home and wherever you can travel.

Shadowing an architect is an ideal resume item. A summer job/internship at a local architecture or construction firm would be great (but these are hard for high schoolers to come by).

All accredited BArch and MArch programs carry a required studio component. Those that are based in art schools tend to put more emphasis on design and creativity. Those that are based in tech schools tend to emphasize tech and construction. (There are exceptions of course.) But the majority of schools of architecture are based in large universities, and offer a balance of design, technology and building sciences.

I don’t have any insider information on summer programs, but in general if the applicant applies early, fulfils the requirements and pays the fees, they’ll be accepted. I’d suggest that you read through the information on the website carefully to choose the best combination of location, program and cost.

I don’t know how familiar you and your high schooler are with the educational options that can lead to a career in architecture. Before building an application list, he first and most critical decision to make is whether to choose the 5 year Bachelor of Architecture program or to choose a 4 year BS, BA, BED, BFA in architecture, design or art with the intension of following up with a Masters of Architecture. The former is the most direct route, but is intensely architecture focused. The latter will take a year or two longer (and therefore may cost more) but allows for more exposure to other disciplines. There are a lot of combinations and variables.

1 Like

This is really helpful information. My son is a jr so we’re still exploring the the various pathways to getting an architecture degree. As a parent, I am not sure if the direct to BArch is the right path that I want for him. I have heard that it is extremely time intensive.

On another forum, someone mentioned that they think getting a MArch from a highly selective program (IVY, MIT, etc) is more available than getting a BArch degree.

I know many on CC believe it’s not where you go but what you do with your degree that matters.

But do you think for the design / art world, a degree from Ivy / Ivy + degrees hold more weight than a BArch from a recognized but non-Ivy program? Will brand bias trump better design/creativity? I ask this bc I am not familiar with the design world all. But to me, anything in the design/creative space is extremely subjective.