Help with Computer Science Curriculum

<p>Bama Bound on June 20-21, so DS and I are trying to think through course options. His major is Computer Science, and it appears like there is very little flexibility in freshman year classes.</p>

<p>Curriculum: <a href=“http://cs.ua.edu/pdf/Curriculum_FAQ.pdf[/url]”>http://cs.ua.edu/pdf/Curriculum_FAQ.pdf</a>
Flowchart: <a href=“http://cs.ua.edu/pdf/Flowchart_2011.pdf[/url]”>http://cs.ua.edu/pdf/Flowchart_2011.pdf</a></p>

<p>He is coming in with a few AP credits. Specifically:
AP World History – 6 credits – HY101 and HY102
AP Amer History – 6 credits - HY203 and HY204
AP CalculusAB – 3 credits – MATH125</p>

<p>He is also keen to self-study and take a few CLEP tests this summer in order to get a few more credits out of the way. Any suggestions on which tests would be most beneficial? </p>

<p>Macroeconomics? Took Macro during senior year and did well. But UA counts it as a social science (SB) course which he doesn’t need due to all the AP History credits.</p>

<p>Spanish? Took 3 years in high school and would likely do well on the CLEP exam. But there is no Language requirement for CS majors.</p>

<p>Biology or Chemistry? A passing score would give a generous 8 credits for each CLEP exam. Would that satisfy the science requirement for “majors” courses? I guess I don’t really understand the “major” distinction for science courses.</p>

<p>Would love to hear from other CS students or parents - - or anyone else for that matter!</p>

<p>~WAKE</p>

<p>Take the Spanish Clep…it may not be necessary (it used to be, I think), but it’s nice to have…especially if the future goal is Phi Beta Kappa…and more A&S credits are needed (need 90). </p>

<p>Biology or Chemistry? A passing score would give a generous 8 credits for each CLEP exam. Would that satisfy the science requirement for “majors” courses? I guess I don’t really understand the “major” distinction for science courses.</p>

<p>Not sure what you’re asking. There are often 2 version of science courses…those for majors/engineers/pre-med…and those for others (like nursing majors, etc). </p>

<p>For instance…there is a harder OChem…and there is a “less hard” OChem.</p>

<p>CLEP</p>

<p>Science and Mathematics</p>

<p>Biology 57 BSC 108 and 109 or
BSC 114, BSC 115,
BSC 116, and BSC 117 8 N</p>

<p>Chemistry 52 CH 101 and CH 102 8 N</p>

<p>BSC 114, 115, 116, 117…and CH 101 and 102 cover that first mentioned group’s req’ts. These are considered the more difficult versions.</p>

<p>¹Approved natural science (N) electives must be chosen from “majors” courses. Potential courses include: AY 101/102, AY 203/204, BSC 114/115, BSE 116/117, CH101 or 117, CH 102 or 118, GEO 101, GEO 102, GEO 105, GY 101, GY 102, PH 105 or 125, and PH 106 or 126.</p>

<p>Are CS majors required to have a minor? Edited to answer my own question…lol…</p>

<p>Minors for computer science majors. A minor is not required for students majoring in computer science. However, we strongly encourage all students to combine their individual interests with the free electives in the program to complete a minor in an area of interest to them. For example, computer science majors may earn a minor in mathematics by completing the mathematics courses required by the computer science curriculum plus MATH 227 and one additional math course numbered 300 or above, such as MATH 355.</p>

<p>So far, what is he planning for fall semester?</p>

<p>Sounds like he needs to take Frosh Comp, right?</p>

<p>And, the Frosh Engineering program classes, right?</p>

<p>How about Cal II?</p>

<p>COMPUTER SCIENCE Curriculum
FRESHMAN YEAR
First Semester Hours</p>

<p>CS 121 The Discipline of Computing 1
CS 150 Programming I 2
CS 160 Computer Science Concepts 1
EN 101 English Composition I (FC) 3
ENGR 111 Engineering the Future 1
ENGR 131 Engineering Concepts & Design I 1
MATH 125 Calculus I (MA) 4
___
13</p>

<p>Second Semester<br>
CS 250 Programming II (C) 2
CS 260 Foundations of Computer Science 3
EN 102 English Composition II (FC) 3
ENGR 141 Engineering Concepts & Design II 1
ENGR 151 Fundamental Engineering Graphics or
ART 131 Design II (3 hours) 1
MATH 126 Calculus II (MA) 4
___
14</p>

<p>SOPHOMORE YEAR</p>

<p>First Semester<br>
CS 350 or 351 or 352 Programming III (C) 2
ECE 380 Digital Logic 4
MATH 301 Discrete Mathematics (MA) 4
History (HI) elective 3
Fine arts (FA) elective 3
___
16</p>

<p>Second Semester<br>
CS 315 Software Engineering 3
CS 360 Data Structures & Algorithm Analysis (C) 4
ECE 383 Microcomputers (C) 4
Literature (L) elective 3
___
14</p>

<p>Is your son in Honors? If so, does he want to take an honors class…such as a Fine Arts?</p>

<p>Thanks M2ck - great advice on spanish. I had not considered the Phi Beta Kappa angle.</p>

<p>Regarding the science credits, the curriculum states that… “The science must be from majors courses”. I just wasn’t sure if the CLEP credit would fulfill that requirement.</p>

<p>Seems like his schedule will shape up like this:<br>
Frosh Comp - 3 hours
Calculus II - 4 hours
Frosh Eng/CS courses - 6 hours
Alabama Action - 1 hour
total 14 hours ===> seems light, but to add another 3 hr class might be too much in the first sememster away from home.</p>

<p>He would really like to double major or minor in Marketing. (an odd sounding combination, but there is so much marketing integrated with today’s technology it actually makes a great deal of sense. Just look at all the advertisements on this web page!!) However, I am not sure that a double major or minor would be humanly possible because of the drastic differences in core requirements between CofE and CBA. At any rate, taking a significant number of marketing electives is his plan.</p>

<p>And, yes he is in Honors. He has not looked into the Fine Arts options yet, so that could work.</p>

<p>thanks!
~WAKE</p>

<p>Doing a CBA minor is fine…you don’t have to do their Core for a minor.</p>

<p>Seems like his schedule will shape up like this:
Frosh Comp - 3 hours
Calculus II - 4 hours
Frosh Eng/CS courses - 6 hours
Alabama Action - 1 hour
total 14 hours ===> seems light, but to add another 3 hr class might be too much in the first sememster away from home.
</p>

<p>Well…the AA class will be done by the time the semester starts. However, if you think that your son will have some adjustment issues first semester, then don’t add any more. My older son only took 14 credits his first semester and he was busy with coursework and “adjusting”. </p>

<p>I don’t know a lot about all of those Frosh Eng’g courses since younger son didn’t have them…but I would think that a bunch of 1-2 credit courses might seem like more than that at times. I can remember a few 1-2 credit classes during my college years that were more demanding than they should have been! </p>

<p>Now that I look at his schedule again, I wouldn’t add anything because of Frosh Comp. That may require a lot of writing/re-writes…that can be very time-consuming!!! (Too bad there isn’t a CLEP for that!!! BTW…tell your son that if writing is an issue for him to take advantage of the offer that more advanced English students (grad students??) will proof-read your English papers for free.</p>

<p>wake210 - one thing to keep in mind is that when classes start he will only need to make sure he’s done the paper for AA by due date. That will free up “time” from that 1 credit class, he may want to add another 1 credit UH class (ie. 120 “connections” - S enjoyed it and it provided another enjoyable way to get to know people and UA on small group setting).</p>

<p>*he may want to add another 1 credit UH class (ie. 120 “connections” - S enjoyed it and it provided another enjoyable way to get to know people and UA on small group setting). *</p>

<p>That’s a very good suggestion. Are the “connections” classes the “one book” classes?</p>

<p>From DSs Comp Sci DegreeWorks page -</p>

<p>You need a total of 12 NS credits, a sequence of two (8 cr.) and one elective (4 cr.)</p>

<p>NATURAL SCIENCE SEQUENCE
Choose from 1 of the following:</p>

<p>Astronomy Sequence
( 8 Credits in AY 101 and 102* and 203* and 204* ) or
Biology Sequence
( 8 Credits in BSC 114 and 115* and 116* and 117* ) or
Chemistry I and II Sequence
( 8 Credits in CH 101* and 102* ) or
Introductory Chemistry Sequence
( 8 Credits in CH 104 and 105* ) or
Honors Chemistry I and II Sequence
( 8 Credits in CH 117* and 118* ) or
Geology Sequence
( 8 Credits in GEO 101 and 102* ) or
Geology Sequence
( 8 Credits in GEO 101 and 105 ) or
Geography Sequence
( 2 Classes in GY 101 and 102 ) or
Physics Sequence
( 8 Credits in PH 101* and 102* ) or
Physics with Calculus Sequence
( 8 Credits in PH 105* and 106* ) or
Honors Physics Sequence
( 8 Credits in PH 125* and 126* )</p>

<p>Natural Science Approved Elective
4 credits in approved Natural Science electives. Approved electives must be chosen from major courses. No natural science electives designed for non-majors will be applied to your degree program.</p>

<p>*No natural science electives designed for non-majors will be applied to your degree program. *</p>

<p>Right…that’s what I meant when talking about the 2 versions of various courses - I should have been more clear. The CLEP replacements are fine.</p>

<p>m2ck - The UH 120 course my son took was the “Freshman Year Experience Course”. There are numerous time options for those looking into 1 credit courses.</p>

<p>I know there are 120 courses with different topics, I’m not sure if the “book series” is also one of them. I’ve heard those are also good, but after 2 years of IB english classes - although DS’s an avid reader - his math/science mindset needed a break.</p>

<p>Appreciate all the advice. I’ll suggest he look for a 1 credit UH course that appeals to him. I’ll also suggest he take CLEP exams for Spanish and either Bio or Chemistry.</p>

<p>He still listens to my advice these days. Not sure how much longer that will last :)</p>