Help with Creating List / Strategy for Smart but Challenged Kid

New here and looking for help coming up with a list and a strategy for HS Senior.

Looking in Northeast for the most part.

1380 SAT
GPA 86 with honors and AP classes throughout - had a very rough junior year, was hospitalized.
Great recommendations and essay
Varsity sport for 4 years
Decent but not crazy extracurriculars (see above, lol)
May need to carry 504 plan into college.

We are fortunate in that we can cover tuition.
Thanks!!!

What does he want? Urban, rural? Small, big? What does he want to study?

Pretty open right now - probably not a huge school. Interested in studying psychology or health sciences

Will he need continued medical support? If so, that needs to be considered. There are hundreds of schools which would admit your son. The degree of support he needs might be a key determination for you. Schools vary widely in this regard, but many parents say it is the most important factor in assessing schools for kids with needs.

1 Like

I don’t know where in the northeast your son is interested in being, or what type of health sciences he would like to study, so this list is quite broad. But these are small to medium sized schools with a number of different offerings in health sciences for undergrads.

Also, you may want to see how your health insurance coverage applies out-of-state and what that coverage is like, as that may be an important factor in selection of a college.

• Duquesne (PA ): About 5100 undergrads
  • Elizabethtown (PA ): About 1700 undergrads
  • Gannon (PA ): About 3200 undergrads
  • Ithaca (NY): About 4800 undergrads
  • King’s College (PA ): About 1800 undergrads
  • Marywood (PA ): About 1800 undergrads
  • Mercy (NY): About 6500 undergrads
  • Merrimack (MA): About 4100 undergrads
  • Nazareth (NY): About 2000 undergrads
  • Quinnipiac (CT): About 6300 undergrads
  • Regis (MA): About 1300 undergrads
  • Sacred Heart (CT): About 6800 undergrads
  • Springfield (MA): About 2000 undergrads
  • Thomas Jefferson (PA ): About 3800 undergrads
  • U. of Hartford (CT): About 4000 undergrads
  • U. of Scranton (PA ): About 3500 undergrads
  • U. of the Sciences (PA ): About 1400 undergrads
2 Likes

Was it medical or psychiatric hospital (I don’t differentiate, but hospital systems do)? Is it a chronic and continuing problem or was it accute?

Did his high school provide adequate accommodations, with a tutor and work provided when he was able?

The GC can write about his challenges if appropriate (orhe or you can) r not, depending on the problem. Not as an excuse, but as an explanation.

I always suggest Clark U. and the website Colleges that Change Lives in general.

Hope he feels better!

1 Like

The state flagship should always be considered

First step should be to explore every single option within commuting range or within a 2-3 hour drive. Hopefully the medical challenges are over- but you never know. And having some solid choices which would allow for support from home if need be is a great insurance policy.

1 Like

I have a kid like yours, but he chose a path in BFA theater programs. Had he not been committed to an acting major, I would have encouraged him to apply to a school from this list: https://ctcl.org. This list features schools that are student centered and honor different types of learning.

3 Likes

This thread may be of help:

Many of us have kids in this category. They can flourish in college with the right pieces.

Definitely look at how the colleges support the needs in the current 504 plan. They will not call it a 504 in college and up to date info will be needed from Doctors or others to start the process.

2 Likes

I think smaller LACs have a supportive environment. Schools in the New England area we looked at that you could consider – Wheaton College (MA), Roger Williams in RI, Clark Univ in Worcester (I went many years ago!), Conn College. Mine goes to Skidmore College which I would recommend but also has become very competitive for admissions. I agree with a previous poster, targeting schools within a reasonable driving distance from home may make sense.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what the medical requirement is, but I would strongly recommend a college that uses either faculty or staff as the advisor and has what I would call very strong learning supports. An adult with authority on a campus is very helpful to navigating bureaucracies. And I would echo the need to stay very close to home.

My child at a large state university just had trouble getting from location A to location B on campus. The rules were very rigid, even though there’s a large and active disability services center on campus. We are much happier at a smaller, high support private school.

He will need to register with the Office of Disabilities or Accessible Education Office or whatever the school calls it. They will give him letters to give to professors, which may or may not list accommodations needed.

You can write a letter for an MD or other professional to sign, listing accommodations (you do the research) and they generally appreciate that and sign it.

Kids with medical or psychiatric needs vary in what they want and can handle. Some actually do better in a rigorous environment with proper supports. We cannot really tell with the info given and keeping privacy is fine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.