Help with Dual enrollment credit

My son has taken Fundamentals of C++ and data structures in his local community colllege as dual enrollment. When i go to assist.org, it says those two classes are accepted by UCLA and UCSB, does that mean it will not count towards his UC GPA in other UCs? And in UCLA and UCSB a 4.0 in his community college transcript in both these courses- what will it translate to, will he get a 5.0, because it is weighted?

The classes would count toward his UC gpa at all campuses and DE classes are weighted on a 5.0 scale.

Thank you so much- he took them as a freshman in HS - does that matter?

During freshman year or after freshman year?

During Freshman

I think technically the UC app says they’ll only count classes toward the gpa if they’re from the semester after freshman year until junior year, but dual enrollment classes are entered into the college section of the app, so it’s hard to say for sure.

Thanks-do you think it is worth asking someone in UC admissions?

It says in the UC admissions site:
A college course can fulfill an A-G requirement if:

• The college holds U.S. regional accreditation;

• The course is UC-transferable (exceptions for English and math only);

• The course is worth at least 3 semester or 4 quarter units (each);

• The course clearly falls within an A-G subject area; and,

• The course is taken for a letter grade, and a grade of C or better is earned.

I know for sure it is UC transferrable because the assist.org says so for our community college, but not sure if C++ and data structures fall within the A-G category? should it be both?

Yes, possibly, though honestly I don’t see what the difference is. They’re going to calculate the gpa however they’re going to calculate it. When you enter grades into the application, there’s a place for 7th and 8th grade if the student took high school level classes, then high school 9-12 grades by years with the ability to designate UC approved honors or AP. Then, there’s the college classes. When you enter them in you designate them as CL- college level, which would give the gpa bump. Are they really going through and pulling out any 9th grade college classes to calculate the gpa? I doubt it. My son had one dual enrollment class freshman year and I assume it was used in his gpa calculation, but I don’t know for sure.

Thanks -Very helpful

If taken during Freshman year and not the summer after, it should not be counted in the 3 UC GPAs (unweighted, capped weighted and uncapped weighted).

@civitas is correct that if the CC classes were taken during Freshman year they will not be calculated into the UC GPA”s for Freshman admission, however they will be reviewed for course rigor and receive UC course credit at any of the UC campuses. They will be part of his permanent college record but not part of the UC campus GPA.

UC GPA for Freshman admissions are a-g courses taken the summer after 9th to the summer prior to 12th.

1 Like