Help With Majors at Alabama/University Scholars

<p>Talk to the department head about University Scholars. If they aren’t in charge of the program, they will know who is.</p>

<p>I don’t have the link for the program for undergraduate business majors, but the program for STEM majors is very similar [Manderson</a> - Stem Path To The Mba](<a href=“http://manderson.cba.ua.edu/academics/departments/mba_program/stem_path_to_the_mba]Manderson”>http://manderson.cba.ua.edu/academics/departments/mba_program/stem_path_to_the_mba).</p>

<p>Coming in with a lot of credits and credit for ST 260, you can possibly get the CS 102 requirement waived without needing to take the exam. I see no need to take the AP Computer Science exam to get credit for CS 102 if that’s even possible.</p>

<p>There is really no need to retake EC 110/111, though I believe that one has to take the related 300-level course (EC308/309, respectively) to get college credit if they scored a 3 on the AP Exam. Consider taking the CLEP exams for credit in those subjects. At UA, Foreign Language CLEP exams are better than their AP counterparts with granting college credit.</p>

<p>In CBA, one completes all of the lower division requirements before entering the upper division ones. You’d take the remainder of the 100/200 level courses until completing the lower division requirements and then taking 300, 400, and possibly 500-level (graduate) courses for your degree(s).</p>

<p>As more and more students are entering UA with lots of college credit, dual degree programs are becoming more popular.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info! I’ve never even heard of CLEP exams, so I’m not sure if that’s an option, but I’ll definitely look into it.
When should I contact the department chair? Now seems too early, but sometime in the spring? Or when I’m planning classes?</p>

<p>Almost, look into CLEPs and see if you can get credit for something that you aren’t taking an AP exam for. D took the French CLEP because, at that time, UA offered more credits for CLEP language exams than for AP language exams. After she took the CLEP they updated their AP/CLEP policy to make them essentially the same so she really didn’t need it. </p>

<p>Also of note, D took the AP English Comp exam even though we didn’t expect her to get any UA credits for it. After she took the exam, UA came out with their updated policy and she did get the 3 credits for Humanities. Lesson is that it paid off to take the exam even though she wasn’t expecting anything from it.</p>