Help with schedule

<p>Hi all, I’m in the process of figuring out my schedule and what classes I should take in my first semester at Bama. I’m an econ major and I’m in the Honors College. I just have a few questions so I can get started and hopefully have a solid “plan” by my May 29-30 Bama Bound session. Any help is appreciated.</p>

<p>1) I have signed up for Alabama Action so that should be 1 credit hour. I’ve heard that you should take 15 your first semester. So it would be a good idea to do AA, then take a 15-hour schedule for fall, right?</p>

<p>2) I’m looking up classes on MyBama. My four year plan for econ says I should take either HU, L, or FA. I know FA is fine arts but I can’t find HU or L in the dropdown list. I’m assuming HU is humanities but I have no idea what L is. My question is, what classes should I be looking for?</p>

<p>3) I know how to figure out which of my AP credits apply, but what about dual enrollment credits? And if they apply to some of my general requirement classes, what should I do to fill those spaces? With electives?</p>

<p>4) Can I take 2 Honors College classes my first semester? I really want to take Honors Connection and Photography. Also, I can’t find Honors Connection in MyBama. Is it the same as HnExpl:Honors Year One? Can anyone tell me more about this class?</p>

<p>Right now, I only have CS 102 and GBA 145 on my tentative schedule because I think I will pass AP Calc AB & BC and I don’t know which of my AP or dual enrollment credits will apply.</p>

<p>1) Yes, you can take 15 additional hours for fall term. AA is over by the time school starts.</p>

<p>2) I believe “L” is for literature.</p>

<p>3) There is a way to plug in your dual enrollment credits through ( I will look it up). Found it : <a href=“https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype[/url]”>https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype&lt;/a&gt; You can continue in your course load by looking to the courses that come next in your major.
Electives are fine too.</p>

<p>4) Yes, you can take 2 honors level courses in your first term.</p>

<p>What are your pending AP’s?</p>

<p>only pending AP is Calc (AB and BC). Where would I find the literature classes in MyBama?</p>

<p>I think you go into myBama and plug your DE credits there to find out how those will apply.</p>

<p>Yes, L stands for Literature. </p>

<p>Yes, you can take 2 or more honors classes each semester.</p>

<p>What AP credits will you have?</p>

<p>Tommy, if you go to Degree Works, it’ll link you to a list of the courses that fulfill the various requirements. You just click on the requirement. The Literature classes I saw listed are EN 205-210, 215, 216, 219, 220 and 249.</p>

<p>Under MyBama’ class schedule search: under subject look for “english”. Lots of literature courses come up.</p>

<p>crossposted with others.</p>

<p>transfer credit site: [Transfer</a> Credit | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/services/transfer-credit/]Transfer”>Transfer Credit – The Office of the University Registrar – The University of Alabama | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Sea_tide gave these instructions in another thread and they’ve been very helpful to determine which classes are available for the various course attributes required:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thanks everybody!</p>

<p>I’ve also heard that GBA 145 is a waste of time, especially because I already know which major I’m going into in the B-school, so I probably won’t take it.</p>

<p>I have credit for ECO 110, ENC 101 & 102, and PSC 101 (from DE)</p>

<p>lattelady, I’m doing that now and it is SUCH a big help. Thank you and Sea_tide</p>

<p>Okay, it says that for freshman composition I need 3 credits in either EN 101 or two other EN classes. Is EN 101 3 credits? And if I do have the credit for that already, should I go ahead and take any other EN classes this fall or should I go with something else in its place?</p>

<p>This may help :slight_smile: copied from the academic catalog, Business school section; link below</p>

<p>Suggested Course Sequence, MATH 112
FRESHMAN YEAR </p>

<p>First Semester<br>
Courses Hours
Fine arts elective 3
EC 110 3
EN 101 3
GBA 145 1
MATH 112 3
History elective* 3 </p>

<hr>

<p>16 </p>

<p>Second Semester<br>
Courses Hours
EC 111 3
EN 102 3
MATH 121 or MATH 125 3
Free elective (MIS 200 for General Business Majors) 3
Natural science elective 4 </p>

<hr>

<p>16 </p>

<p>SOPHOMORE YEAR </p>

<p>First Semester<br>
Courses Hours
ST 260 3
History or social and behavioral sciences elective* 3
Humanities/fine arts elective 3
Literature elective* 3
Natural science elective 4 </p>

<hr>

<p>16 </p>

<p>Second Semester<br>
Courses Hours
AC 210 4
LGS 200 3
Free elective 6
Literature or humanities/fine arts elective* 3 </p>

<hr>

<p>16 </p>

<p>*Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history. </p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>

Yes, EN 101 is 3 credits. If you already have credit for EN 101, you could go ahead and take EN 102 (which is also 3 credits), or you could put it off until next semester and take something else.</p>

<p>I looked up dual enrollment credits and I should have credit for both EN 101 and 102.</p>

<p>One more question… bear with me, guys.
I looked at my requirements on DegreeWorks and it says I need the following:</p>

<p>History - 3 credits
and
Literature or History Sequence:
Western Civilization - 6 credits in HY 101 and HY 102.</p>

<p>I got a 4 on my AP world history exam, which the catalog says is credit for both HY 101 and 102. So does this mean BOTH my history and literature/history sequence requirements are already fulfilled??</p>

<p>I know all my requirements and my incoming credits now, I just have trouble figuring out whether or not my credits apply to different requirements.</p>

<p>If you have 6 credits in History, you still have to take one Literature class I believe.</p>

<p>The requirement is either the history sequence (6 credits in history and 3 in lit) or the literature sequence (6 credits in lit and 3 in history). So with the history sequence fulfilled, you still need 3 credits in lit.</p>

<p>Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure that’s how it works…</p>

<p>^^That’s exactly how I understand it.</p>

<p>Okay. But the “history” requirement under “History and Social & Behavioral Sciences” requirement is also fulfilled, and I wouldn’t have to take another HY class, correct?</p>

<p>You will not need to take another history class. I tend not to recommend GBA 145 for top students or those who have a good idea of what they will major in.</p>

<p>From the looks things, it looks like you will apply to the upper division of CBA during the fall semester of your second year and start upper division courses that spring, so adjust your schedule. </p>

<p>While Engineering has a relatively specific required course sequence, the same is not true in the business school. While EC 111 and ST 260 have specific prerequisites, the other lower-division courses can be taken in a different order if you so desire.</p>

<p>Thanks. I won’t be taking GBA 145. I’ll probably take EC 102 (I have credit for 101) my first semester. Is it a good idea to take maybe 3 UH classes? I want to take Honors Connection and photography, and for my fine arts requirement I’m looking at one of the Arts & Parody classes with UH.</p>

<p>Very hard to get into the photo class, FYI.</p>

<p>oops, yeah, for some reason I read it wrong and thought they were open. Is it generally very hard for incoming freshmen to get into classes they want? A lot of classes I’m looking at are full or near full.</p>