Help with schedule

<p>Right now, some frosh classes aren’t open because seats are being held back for Bama Bound.</p>

<p>But, classes like photography aren’t considered to be frosh classes, so a class like that often requires some “seniority” of credits to get into later…with priority registration.</p>

<p>With the exception of the freshman classes that haven’t opened yet and very few others, the honors classes are already full. I think Mike Wozowski mentioned that her daughter has tried unsuccessfully for a few semesters to get into the photography class, so I assume that one is pretty popular. </p>

<p>My D wants to take accounting and/or business law in the fall, and all of the daytime classes are pretty much full, so unless they add more seats or she can work out the evening conflicts, we’ll be moving on to Plan B. I’m assuming that after the first semester this will no longer be as big an issue because of priority registration.</p>

<p>First semester frosh year is often a problem when wanting “non-frosh” classes since the upper-classmen have already registered.</p>

<p>The honors photog class is super popular (don’t know how many sections there are), but with only 15 seats per section, that class is going to fill fast. </p>

<p>That said, there are many, many very interesting honors offerings…and many will open seats for Bama Bound.</p>

<p>beth’s mom: Make sure your daughter checks her Bama e-mail regularly, as the Honors College will let everyone know when it adds additional classes for the fall semester. Professors may decide during the late spring or summer that they want to offer a particular class. This was the case when my son was a freshman. Just before Christmas break, he learned about the Alabama Action class that went to Costa Rica. He sent some e-mails to get some additional information and decided to enroll. He had registered for his classes weeks earlier. So do keep tabs on e-mails, because your daughter may find a class that interest her.</p>

<p>^^ Thanks! Getting my D to do anything I ask is easier said than done, but that’s good advice.</p>

<p>Can anyone describe the AMS 205 - Dirty Jobs class?</p>

<p>Also, what do you guys think about this as a potential fall semester schedule? in terms of workload, etc.</p>

<p>Alabama Action - 1 hour
CS 102 / Microcomputer applications - 3 hours
EC 111 / (Honors) Principle of Macroeconomics - 3 hours
EN 205 / (Honors) English Literature - 3 hours
FR 101 / Elementary French - 4 hours
UH 120 / Honors Year One - 1 hour
for a total of 15 hours and a 14 hour semester schedule because of AA.</p>

<p>Do the honors EC 111 or EN 205 mean a much heavier workload?</p>

<p>Have you considered testing out of CS 102?</p>

<p>It looks like you have a great schedule. The honors courses shouldn’t have much of an extra workload.</p>

<p>Tommy-
EN 205 is the Non-Honors English Lit (EN 215 is the Honors section)
EN 207 is the Non-Honors World Lit ** (there doesn’t appear to be a EN 217?)
EN 209 is the Non-Honors American Lit (EN 219 is the Honors section)</p>

<p>You can take any of these since you have credit for EN 101 & EN 102 </p>

<p>**EN 207 also carries the International focus attribute required for the Business School</p>

<p>SEA, how would I test out of CS 102? And if I were to do so, which computer class would I then take?</p>

<p>CrimsonMom: yes, I would probably take the honors section of whichever lit class I take, I just got the numbers wrong. Or since EN 207 has the international focus, I would go ahead and choose that one. But the plan right now is to take a lit class my first semester.</p>

<p>Tommy, take a look at this: <a href=“http://www.cs.ua.edu/assessment/CS102%20Placement%20Assessment%20General%20Information%20for%20web%20sp12.pdf[/url]”>http://www.cs.ua.edu/assessment/CS102%20Placement%20Assessment%20General%20Information%20for%20web%20sp12.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If you tested out of CS 102, you wouldn’t need to take another computer course as you are taking a foreign language instead. In fact, CS 102 doesn’t carry the C designation as it is more to make sure that students have the necessary computer skills to succeed at UA and in the workplace.</p>

<p>So if I do take a foreign language 101 and 102, I wouldn’t even need to take a CS course?</p>

<p>I’m no expert, but from what I’ve seen in looking through everything for my D, I don’t think you need to take a computer science course per se, but two of the required courses for an Econ major will have the C designation (ST 260 and FI 389 (or equivalent)). SEA_Tide, correct me if I’m wrong, please!</p>

<p>My DegreeWorks says I have to either take 101 and 102 of a foreign language in sequence OR 6 credits in C classes. At least that’s how I’m understanding it. I have credit for ST 260.</p>

<p>As I understand it, you’re going to have to take another C class, so no need to take the language unless you want to, or unless you want to apply it toward your humanities requirement.</p>

<p>To the best of my knowledge, the requirement to have all credits be in the same foreign language was removed starting in the 2008 catalog. I do not know if things have changed, but remember that the printed catalog and any updates contain the official requirements. DegreeWorks has not been coded to recognize all of the exceptions.</p>

<p>beth’s mom is likely correct on ST 260 and FI 389 satisfying the C/FL requirement provided that they are not already satisfying another core curriculum requirement.</p>

<p>I’m making spreadsheets (a lot tougher than I thought it’d be) to see what my schedule will probably look like and it’s not too bad.</p>

<p>I’m not going to take French (or any foreign language unless I have to, which I don’t… right?) and I’m going to try to take World Literature since that satisfies the CBA int requirement. Any chance I get into that class? Every section is full right now on MyBama.</p>

<p>Will I have trouble getting into any of these classes?
CS 102
EC 102
EN 207
Alabama Action
UH 120 honors year one
UH 120 book: cognitive surplus
UH 155 international war crimes</p>

<p>There are lots of openings of CS 102, so I would think that you would be fine depending on the time that you’re looking for. (I would imagine that the later classes go first.)
I don’t see EC 102 as being listed for Fall Semester 2012-- correct me if I’m wrong. Did you mean EC 110?
I’m seeing that EN 207 is currently full for Fall and still has a bunch of people on the waitlist. I would find a viable alternative if you can.
I don’t know about Alabama Action-- it’s not currently available to view on MyBama (as far as openings and waitlist, etc.).
UH 120 (Honors:Year One) should be fine as it is reserved for freshmen.
UH 120 (Cognitive Surplus) I’m also not sure about because it’s in the same boat as Alabama Action and does not give any information on MyBama.
Same for UH 155 (Int’l War Crimes).</p>

<p>Let me know if anyone finds anything different.</p>

<p>Are there any “easy” FA classes that are still open for Fall semester? I don’t really want to take TH 114, but I haven’t across anything else.</p>

<p>If you have any experience with computers at all (windows, word, power point) you could probably test out of CS - 102. It doesn’t satisfy a C requirement anyway and is only used as a prerequisite. </p>

<p>Go here for the details on tasking the placement test.
[Placement</a> Assessments - Bama Bound Orientation - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html]Placement”>http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>ARH - 252 or ARH -253 especially the online versions. Guaranteed A’s. TRUST ME!!</p>

<p>I’m not going to take French</p>

<p>Consider taking the French CLEP. you might end up with some nice credits.</p>