help with some basic stuff

<p>Hi, I'm an international student from Spain called Alex. I'll enroll UWMadison in Fall 2008 as a freshmen. I am gonna go for Physics, and all this stuff about housing or choosing classes is new for me, so I would really appreciate if someone could answer some of my questions.
First of all, if I'm going to go for physics - that is, I would attend a lot of math-science based classes - which residence hall is the best based on the closeness of math-science buildings?
I took 5 AP tests this year: CalcBC, Physics CMech, PhysC E&M, German and Bio, and I think I got all 5s. How do I know, once I get my AP scores, which classes to choose, and if UW would allow me to choose them?
I know I'm supposed to take Placement tests in English and Math. When do I need to take those, and what are they like? Is it like the SAT? What do they use this tests for?</p>

<p>Most students do placement tests and sign up for courses at SOAR. Are you attending SOAR?</p>

<p>Either dorm grouping would work as the math and physics buildings are mid way between the Lakeshore and Southeast dorms. The closest would be Elizabeth Waters and Chadbourne only a few hundred yards away.</p>

<p>thanks :):):):):):)</p>

<p>Son just finished his second year with probable (hasn't officially declared yet) honors major in math plus/minus physics. Live in the area of campus that most appeals to you, location doesn't matter that much (eons ago as a Chemistry major I chose lakeshore, my best chemistry friends were in Barnard)- your dorm is independent of your major or being in the Honors program. As an international student you will do SOAR immedietly before classes start, ie late August. Be sure to consider the Honors classes in math and physics, I defer you to contacting them directly (e-mail is great, professors who are Honors advisors do respond, and nicely- Dr. McCammon of the Physics Dept was nice when I, as a parent/alumnus, complained/informed them about a scheduling conflict with the honors math/physics a year ago- they quickly resolved things for the students). </p>

<p>Feel free to PM me, but do read the past UW thread posts I and others have written about dorms, SOAR, et al as there is a wealth of information in them. </p>

<p>The placement tests in English and math are required to be sure you meet the minimum standards for graduation, if you need to they will have you take the required remedial courses. The language tests are only if you plan to take further courses in that language- for example, if you took the Spanish one you could get college credits from UW if you took the course that you are elegible for based on your test score. If you have no intention of taking any more Spanish you don't need to bother with the test.</p>

<p>You can read about SOAR for international students on the UW website and also read the info for international students. Read the SOAR and housing links, including things like viewbooks for info. I find the UW website full of information (wish they had the internet in my day). Also go to the DoIT site for info on computers. Welcome to Wisconsin!</p>

<p>this is a little off topic, but I never saw any placement test scores in the mail or online after I took the tests... was I supposed to?</p>

<p>Don't know- son took his at SOAR. Don't worry about it, your advisor will discuss them with you.</p>

<p>Yeah, if you took them during spring testing, the website says you won't find out until you attend SOAR.</p>

<p>thanks you guys :D</p>