Help with UC GPA!

So I need help with UC GPA-
I found this calculator online:
https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

It’s probably not the most accurate thing, but when I input my classes given the directions (AKA- no PE, enter only “A, B, C, D, F” (no - or + ), and all of that UC GPA stuff, I get a 3.5 UW and 4.17 weighted.

Here’s what I entered:
3 A’s
3 B’s

4 honor classes (1 is an AP but it says UC only counts them as honors).

Is this calculator accurate? And if so, is the unweighted and weighted GPA something that I would put on a UC application"?

Thanks.

EDIT: Out of State- does that mean only the AP class counts for honors?

Yes for OOS only APs count for honors.

@Gumbymom can answer your other questions.

You will not put the GPA on your app. They will calculate it.
What UCs are you applying to?

UC’s do not add further points for honors courses for nonresidents… You can only use AP courses.
Several questions:
Are you aware that there is no financial aid for non-residents?

Can you afford the UC’s at $65K per year???
Have you taken 1 year of graded coursework for the F requirement? (Visual and Performing Arts)
This means one year of the same discipline like AP Art History, Art, music, drama, orchestra, band, etc.

Only AP/IB and UC transferable DE classes count for the extra weighting in the UC GPA for Out of State applicants. Honors classes are not weighted for OOS applicants.

There are 3 calculated UC GPA’s using the Rogerhub calculator which is an accurate calculator.

Unweighted UC GPA is 10-11th grades for a-g courses (History, English, Math, Science, Foreign Language, Visual Performing arts and College prep electives)

Capped weighted (which is the GPA used to determine UC eligibility and the most common GPA listed in the UC statistical data). This GPA uses 10-11th grades for the a-g courses and caps the extra honors points at 8 semesters of AP/IB or DE courses.

Fully weighted UC GPA gives an unlimited of honors points for the qualified AP/IB or DE courses taken 10-11th grade. UCB and UCLA are the only 2 UC’s that specifically state they consider the fully weighted UC GPA in their admission decisions and also posts these ranges on their Freshman profile. I believe the fully weighted is still a consideration in all admission decisions for all the UC campuses but the admit ranges are not listed.

If your UW UC GPA is 3.5, then you capped weighted is around 3.9 if you have 8 semesters of qualified AP/IB or DE courses and the 4.17 is the fully weighted?

If you only have 1 AP class then that adds only 2 extra honors points to the weighting which should put your around 3.6-3.7 range??

The UC application is closed for Fall 2020 and will not open for Winter/Spring 2021 admissions until July. Winter/Spring admissions is only for a few campuses (Riverside, Santa Cruz and Merced). Not of these campuses are open to Freshman and not all majors are available.

@VickiSoCal
I plan on:
-Davis
-Santa Barbara
-Irvine
(I’m a junior FYI, I do have one more year).

@“aunt bea”
To answer your questions-

1. Aware of the lack of aid.
  2. I’m very fortunate to have parents who started saving for college before they had kids (the second they finished paying their debts). I also have a job. With all of this combined, the financial issue is not much of an issue (very grateful).
  3. Like I’m saying in all my replies, I am a junior (so still have time), however, I have been deeply involved in music and have taken a performing arts (music) class all of high school.

@Gumbymom
Well, here goes. I only put my sophomore year unweighted in (current junior). But then I put my junior year (so far) weighted in. So I got to proofread more. Now that it seems I solved my own problems, my current unweighted is 3.58 and the capped is 3.83- lower than I thought, but at least I know how to use a UC calculator now.
And yeah, if I haven’t said it multiple times, I’m a current junior, I have some time. Thanks.

Just an FYI: UC’s tend to be very GPA focused but will consider all aspects of your application.

Under a 4.0 Capped weighted UC GPA, makes most UC’s a Reach. If your final UC capped weighted GPA is below that 4.0 threshold, UC Santa Cruz, Riverside and Merced would be your target schools.

Some UC Statistical Data below as additional information which I posted on your other thread.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 10%
UCLA: 9%
UCSD: 34%
UCSB: 38%
UCD: 41%
UCI: 38%
UCSC: 70%
UCR: 84%
UCM: 95%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:
UCB: 4.23 (4.15-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.32)
UCSD: 4.16 (4.03-4.28)
UCSB: 4.16 (4.04-4.28)
UCI: 4.13 (4.00-4.25)
UCD: 4.13 (4.00-4.26)
UCSC: 3.96 (3.76-4.16)
UCR: 3.90 (3.69-4.11)
UCM: 3.73 (3.45-4.00)

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCB: 1340-1540

UCLA: 1330-1550
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1280-1520
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1250-1510
UCSC: 1200-1450
UCR: 1130-1400
UCM: 1020-1290

25th - 75th percentiles for ACT composite + language arts
UCB: 28-35
UCLA: 29-35
UCSD: 26-34
UCSB: 26-34
UCD: 24-33
UCI: 24-34
UCSC: 24-32
UCR: 21-30
UCM: 18-26

Senior year grades are not included in your UC GPA calculation since you will be applying Fall of Senior year so in reality you only have 2nd semester Junior year and possibly Summer school to see where you stand.

Best of luck and please find at least 2 safety schools that are affordable and you would be happy to attend.