Help With UC GPA

<p>I’m having a little trouble calculating my UC gpa. I’m an oos student so only my AP classes would count. If I took 3 Ap classes during my whole junior year and got A’s in all of them, would I add 6 points when calculating my UC gpa or only 3?</p>

<p>bump anyone?</p>

<p>you add one point per semester grade… six semester points.</p>

<p>What is your school’s grading system?</p>

<p>

Alright thanks Dunnin and what do you mean leafblade?</p>

<p>leafblade1354 is asking whether your school is on a semester, trimester, quarter, year-round, or one-grade system.</p>

<p>With the assumption that you are on a semester system:</p>

<p>Regular class: A/A would be 4/4
AP class: A/B would be 5/4</p>

<p>Here is the courses I’ve taken and the grades I’ve gotten so far.</p>

<p>Sophomore Year
English PreAdv A/A
Chemistry PreAdv B/A
Spanish 3 PreAdv B/A
Algebra 2 PreAdv A/A
Word History PreAdv A/A</p>

<p>Junior Year
Spanish 4 A/A
AP Physics A/A
AP US History A/A
AP English A/A
Precal PreAdv A/A
Community College Psychology (1 Semester) A
/Community College Government (1 Semester) A</p>

<p>I know asking you guys to help calculate my GPA is a lot, but I’m still not sure if I have a 4.05 or 4.18. Also, do community college courses get extra weight like honors/ap courses, and can you guys help me out?</p>

<p>UC caps extra points at 4 year long classes, including CC classes. </p>

<p>Looks like you have 12 year long classes. 4 extra points less 1 for the two B’s. So you have 4+(3/12) = 4.25 uc gpa</p>

<p>I think the max UC gpa you can get is 4.33 for most students
who take six year long classes per year.</p>

<p>Wow that’s more than I expected. Thanks lol, but can anyone else reaffirm this, just to make sure?</p>

<p>It looks like 4.18 to me, since you do not receive extra credit for the community college courses.</p>

<p>11 year-long classes (psych and govt are one semester each)
20 A’s, 2 B’s
6 extra points for the 6 semester AP grades; give two of those extra points to convert your two B’s to A’s, so now it’s a 4.0 GPA + 4 bonus points.</p>

<p>GPA = (4.0*22 + 4)/22 = 4.18</p>

<p>Would community college courses I take the summer before my senior year count towards my UC gpa, and is a 4.18 competent enough for berkeley?</p>

<p>The community college classes that are UC-transferable (huge thing you must note!) that are taken the summer before senior year, can be counted towards junior year calculations. Also, 4.18 is the average GPA of accepted applicants for Berkeley and UCLA, so I think you’re fine.</p>

<p>serafina, no…</p>

<p>the 4.18 is more like the average for enrolled students, not accepted students</p>

<p>there is a difference</p>

<p>accepted student average GPA would be higher</p>

<p>Ah, my bad! I thought I missed a third term for a type of student.</p>

<p>That should be optimistic for the OP though, because in order to enroll, you have to be accepted first!</p>

<p>Lol yeah, and when doing uw gpa for the UC’s, do I just count sophomore and junior years only?</p>

<p>IMPORTANT: UC GPA comes in two flavors, capped and uncapped. The capped is used for some purposes, and the uncapped for others. Adcoms see both. Sophomore and Junior years only, including the three summers that bracket those two academic years, if you take classes during those summers.</p>

<p>They also DO SEE your freshman year, but do not include it in either UC GPA (capped and uncapped). It is, generally speaking, unimportant.</p>

<p>The 8-semester GPA cap is for determining UC-eligibility only. Competitive UCs like Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD will look at fully weighted GPA (all UC-approved honors/AP/IB/CC courses get an extra point). Other UCs often cap the weighted GPA at 4.5 (chopped off at 4.5).</p>

<p>You add 6. It’s per semester, not year. And honors courses count, too.</p>