Hendrix early action

<p>Anyone heard anything from Hendrix yet?</p>

<p>Did anyone apply to Hendrix?</p>

<p>My daughter got her acceptance today along with a great scholarship package! Anyone else considering Hendrix? It seems like a great school.</p>

<p>My son got his today, too. If you don’t mind my asking, what scholarship package? I don’t really know what is considered great from Hendrix.</p>

<p>It was really a scholarship letter. Hers totaled $25,000 between the academic, odyssey, and the IB diploma scholarships. Hendrix is rated highly for their financial aid and they have good need based aid if you qualify for that. Everyone gets another $1000 grant if they file the FAFSA by 3/1 also. Have you visited yet?</p>

<p>Haven’t visited yet. We really are trying, but it is so far away from everywhere else we are looking, we’re having trouble getting down there. I really have a feeling my son will like it, so looking forward to visiting if we can just figure out a time. Have you visted? I hear it’s beautiful. </p>

<p>We got same package, sounds like. Don’t qualify for need-based.</p>

<p>Same here, no need based aid for us so we were glad to get a good package. It is kind of out of the way, had to do a separate visit there. We visited once in the summer and then again in March. The other schools my daughter applied to are all in IA, IL area. The campus is beautiful. The buildings are very well taken care of. The students are friendly. The last time we were there a lot of people were visiting and they had a student panel for the parents to ask questions of without any administrators around. They were very open and honest. It is not as racially diverse as some other colleges. My daughter loves the fact there are no greeks there. The cafe has award winning food and really friendly staff. There is also the new Hendrix village with apartments above the businesses. They have a good mix of housing for upperclassmen, apartments and such. The dorms seem to have different personalities. The town is smaller but it seemed to have everything you would want. What other schools is your son considering?</p>

<p>Wooster, Kalamazoo, Oberlin, Grinnell, Centre, Eckerd, and Kenyon. How about you guys?</p>

<p>All small LAC’s. That is what my daughter wants too. Knox, Cornell (college), & Beloit. All very good schools.</p>

<p>Beloit! I forgot to mention Beloit and it’s one of his favorites.</p>

<p>My son has applied, but no decision yet. He just slid in under the Nov 30th deadline, rewriting his essay at a soccer tournament over the Thanksgiving weekend. Right now, it’s his first choice, but he is really anxious to see if he can get an acceptance letter and package before Christmas. We’ve had some troubles with the Common App getting in, SAT scores not reporting???</p>

<p>I’d appreciate some feedback from the scholarship recipients. He chose Hendrix because of the quality of education and nice merit aid. How do his stats compare?</p>

<p>SAT - 1480 core. 750 math, 730 verbal
7 AP classes so far, and 8 more as a senior
Varsity soccer player, captain since a sophmore
NHS
National Spanish Honor Society - President
French Club - Vice President
Top 10% in his class, at a very competitive HS. (A couple of years ago, a US Top 100)</p>

<p>His other schools are Centre, Southwestern, and UT Liberal Arts Honors program.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>cumulus, you really should visit if you can. We went for a scholarship weekend in the spring and it really sealed the deal for my son (and me). He is a sophomore now and couldn’t be happier. I can’t say enough good things about the school. The faculty are excellent, the students are friendly and motivated, and the opportunities for undergraduate research, internships, study abroad, etc. are numerous. </p>

<p>Arkansas is a great state for outdoorsy kids–my son and his friends do a lot of backpacking, hiking and boating on weekends. Little Rock is also a fantastic small city that is finally getting its due on some of the “best place” lists–and it’s only a half hour from campus. </p>

<p>Good luck to all of you and your kids as you get closer to decision time, and please feel free to PM me with questions about Hendrix.</p>

<p>I must agree with Sally. My son is also a Sophomore and we are constantly amazed at the quality if everything! If you are looking for a top tier LAC, this is it! It has truly changed our child’s life.</p>

<p>Thank you Winnieroot and Sally! I’m so glad to hear this. My son likes hiking and all things outdoors. </p>

<p>David1959, your son’s stats look great to me! And that is a TON of AP’s. Do you know his GPA?</p>

<p>Thanks Cumulus. He’s worked hard in high school, and I’m proud of him. </p>

<p>GPA is a little hard to report for our school, since AP classes get 6.0 and standard classes are 4.0. Also, a 99 is a 5.9 (or 3.9), so a 6.0 is impossible. We used the College Board method to calculate his GPA, and state that on all his resumes and applications.</p>

<p>3.84 GPA out of 4. Top 7.1%, just out of the 7% auto acceptance at UT Austin. But he should still get in.</p>

<p>His admissions rep from Hendrix emailed to say he should see his letter soon. 25K would be nice, but he’s already received his invitation email to apply for the Hays, and he will be applying. He should see the same from Centre and Southwestern, so it will probably come down to where he gets the best package.</p>

<p>I’m a little worried that he only applied to 4 colleges early action, but I’m trying not to be the helicopter dad.</p>

<p>I should have waited until the mail ran today. He got his admission letter, along with the Academic and Odyssey scholarships. 24K total, so Hendrix is looking very affordable.</p>

<p>We may see you at the scholarship weekend.</p>

<p>Congrats to you and your son, David!</p>

<p>Thanks Sally305. We’ll be going up this spring, either for the Hendrix competition weekend or a soccer team visit. It’s a tough decision for him between Hendrix, Centre and Southwestern (similar aid to all three), but UT Business Honors could jump ahead. We’ll see what the boy decides.</p>