Hi I need some help I'm currently a junior in Highschool

<p>My weighted GPA is 2.3 and unweighted is about 2.7 I believe
I got 23 on My ACT
I was involved in lot of extra curricular activities..
I really want to get in Madison is there any chance for me?
please honest answers and if there is hope tell me what i can do to increase my chance of getting accepted next year</p>

<p>I would say no…</p>

<p>Looking at your GPA, you are significantly lower than the pool of students that are generally admitted and that is going to kill you, not to mention Madison doesn’t look at weighted grades. Unless you get absolutely stellar/perfect grades the next couple semesters you have no chance. In addition, I would say unless you have some reason you could write about for why your grades are so low then you have very low chances. Not to mention your standardized test scores would likely need to be excellent to offset the low GPA. In the range of 34-36 I’d venture to say.</p>

<p>If I were you I would either look at other schools or maybe transfer options if you have your heart truly set on Madison. I’d give you chances >1 %</p>

<p>Your grades and test scores are both very low for UW-Madison. Cryto has good advice. Even if admitted, unless your grades jump dramatically through junior year and therefore probably your test scores, you will not be prepared for the rigors of this campus- they don’t want to admit any student who will then not be able to be successful. It is in your best interest to work harder to improve your knowledge base for entry into any college (ie, keep working hard both semesters of senior year). You can continue to have UW-Madison as your goal but be prepared for other schools. You need to find colleges that fit your needs and abilities so you can learn the material presented, UW may not be right for you.</p>

<p>Don’t give up. I’m coming from the exact same boat. I got rejected this year.</p>

<p>I’m just gonna come through and say it: Your chances of getting in are not good at all. A kid this year got postponed and rejected with a 3.8 GPA and 35 ACT! </p>

<p>If you get rejected, UW sends a packet about transferring with the rejection letter. (I don’t know if they send it to everyone, or just people who were on the bubble but didn’t quite make it) It says that if you can maintain a 3.0 at another UW school for a year, you’ll be competitive to transfer to UW-Madison as a sophomore. Which in my opinion, is a sweet deal since most of the classes at other UW schools will be WAY smaller and you’ll get a lot more help, rather than being in Madison where that personal attention might not be as available. </p>

<p>And definitely look at other options, too. Yeh, a 2.7 won’t be competitive for Madison, but there are other midwestern schools out there (University of Missouri, Iowa State, Northern Illinois) that have many things in common with UW, that you would more than likely get into.</p>

<p>And if you do get rejected, it’s not the end of the world. That’s when all the other schools you got into light up and actually start looking appealing. I’ve never been as interested in the other schools I applied to/got accepted to until the rejection letter from Madison showed up.</p>

<p>Good luck though with the rest of your junior year! You just might pull through with an acceptance, but keep your options open. </p>

<p>End note: Something I noticed on the UW board is that when people post chances threads and don’t particularily have the best chances, it turns into a “Will I succeed at UW?” thread rather than a chances thread. As a rejected student who feels highly confident that I’d do perfectly fine at UW if I was accepted, I don’t think you can really judge someone’s academic abilities based solely on what information they give out here. So OP, don’t get bogged down if people tell you that you can’t succeed. They don’t know you.</p>

<p>…but yeh anyways, best of luck and keep goin’ at it.</p>

<p>Your HS gpa says a lot about you. It tells admissions committees how much of the material you learned/work you did for a class. A lower than B average means you could have done a lot more in many classes. Sometimes brilliant students will have a low gpa but high test scores, one reason there is standardized testing (some of these students will be denied admission- you not only need to show you have potential, you have to show you use your potential to do the work). To be a successful student at a college you need the necessary skills to do the work. Getting good grades in HS usually means having learned the material well enough that you will be prepared for the much faster paced college courses (think - one year of a HS course usually compares to one semester of college material) and not have to learn the stuff you missed in HS as well. Some students will find a less academically intense college for freshman year will be the key to getting those study skills and knowledge base to be able to do well at UW.</p>

<p>Getting into a college is only the beginning. Once there you need decent grades to finish- often at least a 3.0 in the major to continue in a major. You need to show the university you are capable of getting B’s or better. Having low HS grades junior and senior year of HS puts you behind the other students- you have more work to do to be at the level they start at, plus do work at a much faster pace than in HS. Most straight A students in HS will not get all A’s in college.</p>

<p>Agree totally with wis75. College isn’t remedial education. It justly goes to those most able to understand the material presented in the time allowed. In high school, you get a broad introduction to rudimentary material, but the main value of high school is to learn how to learn; to develop those habits and skills that let you understand and build upon the college-level material presented.</p>

<p>If you’re good enough, you get admitted, but that’s only the beginning. You need to finish strong in HS to start strong in college, and you need to have the work ethic and the efficient study habits to learn the material presented in a timely manner. The first two years of college are probably the toughest as you take the introductory classes where much is presented in a very short time period. Some refer to these as weedout classes, but really, they provide the necessary foundation for the focused learning that will occur in the junior and senior years of undergraduate study.</p>

<p><rant>This country amazes me in that it doesn’t identify and SUPPORT those students who have shown they’re serious and competent. Businesses are on record as saying we need to import foreign talent because not enough talent exists in the United States. I believe that’s a crock. Many, MANY good students settle for a less than an ideal education for financial reasons. That shouldn’t be a consideration. The best students should be identifed and financially supported by the US to attend the best institutions that they have proven they are able to thrive at regardless of a family’s financial status. Middle class families are taking it on the chin; they’re caught in the doughnut hole of EFC, where they are “expected” to have the cash to support their children in college by some ephemeral arbiter who has decided that they should be able to contribute X dollars per year. Personally, I’ve been trying to contact that EFC arbiter, but I haven’t been able to divine what planet he lives on. When I do, I’ll ask him how he thinks I should have been able to put away 150K per child while trying to maintain a standard of living that my father was able to obtain without his wife holding down a full time job. Sigh. My son has done his part. Now, I’ll have to find some way to do mine, and give him the best start in life that I can…and I’ve got two daughters in the wings waiting for their chance too.</rant></p>

<p>I can understand the rant. However- I’ll bet your standard of living today includes many costly things that are beyond those of your childhood days. Cars cost more and have improvements unavailable a few decades ago, as well as computers and all sorts of electronics.</p>