High Point Class of 2023

I applied EA and High Point requested my Q1 grades around two weeks ago and said my admission decision was delayed. I sent my grades in ASAP, does anyone have an idea of when I should be heading back?

After the holidays they’re most likely closed right now.

To firstborndad2015, here are some data points, with sources to double-check as desired.

1. Endowment: When the current president came to HPU in 2005 the endowment was $45.3 million. At the end of 2017 it was $54.8 million. When you consider the stock market went up more than 100% during that same period you have to wonder who is managing their money.Source of this information is the NACUBO annual report on college endowments. It’s interesting to make a comparison with Elon University which is a nearby private college with about the same enrollment. Their endowment went from $61.5 million in 2005 to $230.5 million in 2017!
  2. Financial aid. Here is where you really see the impact of the low endowment. According to the National Center for Education Statistics the average grant to incoming freshmen at HPU is $9,307. at Elon it is $13,027.
    3.Costs and debt. According to the government’s College Scoreboard the average cost of attendance at HPU is $38,492, the average salary at graduation is $39,000, the average debt at graduation is $25,000. Again if you compare to Elon, there the average cost of attendance is $35,619, average starting salary is $51,900, average debt $21,500.
    4.Academic excellence. According to US Department of Education, 4 year private colleges spend on average 42.9% of their operating budget on instruction. At HPU it is only 37.1%. Regarding faculty salaries, HPU doesn’t participate in the surveysby American Association of University Professors so we don’t know for sure although according to Chronicle of Higher Education , HPU salaries are below average for North Carolina. As for the library, the Statistical Abstract on Higher Education for NC says HPU spends $1.1 million a year on its library versus $2.9 million at Elon.
  3. Quality students. According to Princeton Review, the average GPA for entering HPU freshmen is is 3.3, only 16% have GPA over 3.75, while 24% are 2.5 or below. (As for Elon the average GPA is 4.0 with 63% over 3.75!) So yes, HPU surely wants to attract high quality students. The question is how , when they are behind the curve on financial aid and spending on educational quality. This problem could get worse because the president has pledged HPU will give more than $20 million to downtown renewal (baseball stadium, childrens museum, etc.) unrelated to academics.
    Sorry I cannot be more positive, it is still possible to get a good education at HPU, but getting harder to see why you should choose it over other schools By the way I have no connection to Elon and not trying to make a sales pitch for them, but 15-20 years ago Elon was quite similar to HPU until they made an effort to invest in academics, and now you can see the results.

I was accepted early action 1220 SAT got 6k a year scholarship

picaluna is wise to suggest that everyone refer to statistics rather than relying on the anecdotal information offered by the university. Anecdotes are the stock-in-trade with motivational speakers like Mr. Qubein because statistics rarely support whatever hocus-pocus they are selling.

The school’s provost claims in the film A Life of Success and Significance that it has hired faculty “from the most prestigious universities in the United States.”

Well…I am sure that the faculty members at HPU are in the main very capable and caring. I have nothing against them. The provost’s words, however, suggest something that is not true. The school is not luring faculty members from elite institutions in any numbers to work with less prepared students for much less money.

Immediately below are figures which show how much more faculty members at Elon and UNCG are making in salary than faculty members at HPU. These figures were published by the Chronicle of Higher Education for the 2016-2017 school year and the data comes originally from the Department of Education. Link here: https://data.chronicle.com

Please bear in mind that the salaries at Elon and UNCG are far less than the salaries at what are normally considered “elite” institutions.

Professors: $18,981 (Elon: $110,430…HPU: $91,449)
Associate Professors: $10,017 (Elon: $81,549…HPU: $71,532)
Assistant Professors: $11,061 (Elon: $73,548…HPU: $62,487)

Professors: $16,956 (UNCG: $108,405…HPU: $91,449)
Associate Professors: $8,181 (UNCG: $79,713…HPU: $71,532)
Assistant Professors: $10,971 (UNCG: $73,458…HPU: $62,487)

One other point in relation to what picaluna writes above is that reducing institutional grants and scholarships has been an objective at HPU since early in Qubein’s time at the school. If memory serves that was mentioned in the Bloomberg Businessweek article (here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-04-19/bubble-u-dot-high-point-university) and in a book titled change.edu by Robert Kaplan.

And…one last…don’t take information or statistics originating from the President (or from the school) and found in the press at face value. Verify. There have been a number of instances in the past–several mentioned by others in threads here–where that information has been contradicted by what appears in the school’s financial statements.

See how they will work with you for scholarships

26hopeful
We’re in MA. Where are you from.

I received 7k a year. Doesn’t cut it for me since I have to pay for school on my own. Going to the presidential scholarship weekend feb 21-22.

Does anyone know why so many kids transfer out of High Point?

@tgibson HPU is just a pretty campus - and not a good school. I graduated from there last year and let me tell you - it is ALL flash and no substance. I wish my parents had steered me away from it. The classes are beyond easy - I took harder coursework in high school and they did not prepare me for a career in my field. This is not how undergraduate should be. Their freshman transfer rate is something close to 50%, though they’d never admit it… Kids aren’t dumb and they realize quickly it’s a sham institution.

Curious to find out if you decided to attend High Point or not and whether or not your scholarship was increased.

I can’t figure out how to start a new thread for 2024. Did everyone just hear back today that they were accepted for class of 2024? Is it me or is everyone accepted?

I was also accepted!