High Point University- Check it out

That always struck me as odd too.

2 Likes

Hey, it’s always great to have “true believers” posting. Parents and kids need to do their own due diligence-- isn’t that what we always preach?

4 Likes

Look, when every.single.post, by a brand new CC member (who never posts again, unless back on the HPU threads) is so over-the-top, there are red flags for me. Nothing is one sided.

Otherwise, yes, the honest feedback about schools, both good and bad, make this site great.

I use Fakespot for Amazon reviews. Just saying.

1 Like

I don’t have any children at High Point, but my cousin does. Both she and her son seem to love the school. They’re all in, for what that’s worth.

2 Likes

A law school classmate sent her son. Seemed to work for him.

1 Like

Interesting, my cousin is a lawyer as well.

I registered because I noticed a few naysayers enjoy spending a lot of their time attacking HPU without really know the university. As a parent who loves the school, I felt compelled to share another point of view and the impact the university has had on my student and thousands of others. I would hope this is a place where multiple viewpoints are welcomed. I did post for a few additional schools I as a parent have knowledge about.

4 Likes

You posted about a few other schools? Under the same username?

2 Likes

Hi. I was asked to change my username by a moderator which I just did. Specifically in regards to a question about SCAD in Savannah and it was removed. Just attempting to learn this platform.

I think it’s great that you are an enthusiastic High Point fan.

It is a bit curious though that the fan club shuts down every time someone mentions the exceedingly white, Christian, upper middle class vibe of the college’s marketing materials. I would love to have some insight from a current parent or student as to what the experience is like for an urban, mixed race kid? How welcoming is the college to someone with progressive political views? Is the college supportive of a kid from a first gen or low income background, or a recent immigrant? How does the college handle an allegation of sexual assault if a woman is accusing a male student?

These are questions the fans of other schools get asked very frequently-- and there is usually honest and transparent debate. W&L working to be more welcoming to non-white students. Various Catholic colleges offering dozens of comparative religion type classes or history/literature of other faiths so it can accommodate multiple viewpoints while staying true to its mission. Etc.

But somehow- no facts ever offered up about High Point and how they handle diversity- political, racial, economic, geographic, gender identification. Why is that?

And therein lies the cynicism you likely read about on CC

4 Likes

Multiple viewpoints are 100% respected on the forum. It’s just that when it comes to HPU there seems to be a disproportionate number of “ghost” users that come on, post some over-the-top things and then never to be heard from again. I believe there might have also been an occurrence or two of HPU Administration acting as parents and posting things.

I once employed someone from HPU who had nothing but great things to say about the school and she was a good employee. I would say their marketing to my S23 was a bit of a turn off and rang as desperate but that’s just one parents opinion.

2 Likes

Might I remind members of the forum rules: “Our forum is expected to be a friendly and welcoming place, and one in which members can post without their motives, intelligence, or other personal characteristics being questioned by others."

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

Users are free to accept or reject a user’s opinion based on whatever criteria they choose. Another user can post an alternative PoV based on their experiences, but they can’t use this site to denigrate another’s view.

Where there are questions on the veracity of a user, let the highly paid moderators deal with it.

4 Likes

I hope you will share more about your family’s experience at HPU. Those stories are so beneficial to readers.

What specifically works well for your student? What initiatives might the school be working towards? The type of information that is not found in marketing material.

HPU appears to be a “fit” school
 what type student may find that fit appealing so that HPU should be suggested for research?

4 Likes

These are all great questions, but would a typical parent on CC be in a position to answer them?

1 Like

I don’t see why not. Many parents who post on CC are very familiar with the culture of their child’s university. Regardless, let’s not derail the thread.

These are all great questions, and I absolutely do think that a parent would be able to answer them.

I know specifically, I can answer your question in regards to a low economical family. We are not your typical High Point University family I am a single parent, who was a teacher in Georgia, so made substantially lower than the average family does so much, so just being transparent, we were eligible for food stamps.

My daughter applied to four separate schools, HPU offered her the most in school financial aid out of the four schools - two public schools and two private schools.

HPU allows for monthly payments each semester, which is for us a burn a gift to be able to pay the remainder that was not scholarships monthly versus at one time.

Also, as a parent during family weekend, you get to listen to the president share like the five and 10 year plan one of his plans, and one of his goals is to make High Point more diverse as a campus.

3 Likes

Well, I am 100% a parent my daughter is class of 2026. She is in the interior design program and I can answer and try to answer any questions that I know the answers to as a parent who truly studied this school in any school my daughter applied to prior to her a
commitment.

1 Like

Maybe those students arent looking at HPU, just as young conservatives aren’t looking at Sarah Lawrence. Not all colleges need to be all things to all people. For those to whom it appeals, it seems to work. That is sufficient.

IME there are colleges which specifically appeal to “donut hole” families-UMC families which do not qualify for need-based aid but still struggle with the $60k tuition of many schools. Colleges which offer low tuition ($38k) to full pay families may do so in part by not having generous financial aid programs and perhaps less SES diversity, but may appeal to a substantial group of families who fit this financial model.

1 Like

So many things appealed to us as a family, and my daughter specifically is when it comes to her learning style.

Sit her in a lecture or put a test in front of her and forget about it
Anxiety through the roof!

HPU was the only school we looked at that offered various learning approaches in the classroom specifically with hands on learning. Yes, she has lecturs, and yes she has tests, but the interactive and project based approach drew us in!

Also, class size was a big deal for my shy, full of anxiety student! The thought of her in a lecture based class of hundreds wasn’t something that would have benefited her!

HPU gets the wrap for being a “country club,” but my daughter has been challenged, encouraged, supported and been provided opportunities I do not believe she would have gotten at the other three schools.

7 Likes

@KorriRay, thank you for expanding on your comments!

3 Likes