High Point University vs James Madison University for Engineering

My daughter was accepted into both schools and will be majoring in engineering. She is having a difficult time making a decision even after visiting both schools for admitted students day and several prior campus visits to each. Looking for any guidance. Thanks!

High point seems to be limited to computer and electrical engineering and JMU has a General interdisciplinary engineering program with a two year capstone project.

Does she have any idea of what type of engineering she’s interested in?

I know several kids who had a great experience at JMU.

It might be helpful to compare each college’s Mission Statement and Vision.
Here is JMU’s:

We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.

Vision

To be the national model for the engaged university: engaged with ideas and the world.

Their motto is: Knowledge is Liberty.

Oddly, I can’t actually find HPU’s mission statement, except for their History and English departments. However, their motto is Nothing Without Devine Guidance. They state that “High Point University is a God, family and country institution. You’ll find these elements infused throughout HPU’s educational model and environment.”

If your child likes that element, that could factor into their decision. It calls itself a Life Skills university. HPU is almost certainly less academically rigorous than JMU.

JMU has a much higher four year graduation rate and a higher freshman retention rate. Lots of factors to consider.

5 Likes

ABET accreditation is important. JMU has it - since 2019.

High Point says The Webb School of Engineering programs operate under the guidelines outlined by the accreditation organization ABET.

I wasn’t sure if that meant that they have ABET accreditation. I checked the ABET website and they don’t show up.

I would check with HPU to see - do they have it or are they just following the rules?

If they don’t have it, majoring in it there would be a mistake as many companies require it to be hired.

Secondly, it should be easy, both with small programs, to ask for and receive outcomes - who is placing and where and at what salaries.

Finally - one is a larger flagship and the other is a smaller, more contained school. Have you visited both? There will be a preference for one ove rhte other.

To me - first check ABET - I’m just unsure on HPU.

But that would be a deal breaker if they’re not - and pursuing accreditation is not something I would latch onto…personally.

Good luck.

8 Likes

Thanks so much for this feedback. It looks like HPU does not have ABET accreditation but offers a 3-2 dual degree program with Virginia Tech.

JMU would be where I would send my kid

1 Like

My cousin’s son goes to High Point and they couldn’t be happier.

My wife and I, and my older son all graduated from JMU. My younger son is a freshman there now.

You can probably guess where i would recommend.

I would go to the cheaper option

Then that sums it up - JMU. Why go a 5th year and lose a year of income. Or that 5th year can be a Masters.

ABET is a must - so while you didn’t know this, in essence, HPU shouldn’t have been on the applicant list.

Glad you have JMU - wishing a good four years.

@GKUnion - not disputing the student couldn’t be happy at HPU but when you are going to be an engineer, ABET accreditation is a requirement - many many jobs require you to come from an ABET accredited school. I’ve seen many a job description my son has applied to.

Thanks

5 Likes

Engineering Major Overview - JMU suggests that the focus of JMU engineering is mostly civil, environmental, and mechanical, based on job recruiting there.

Outside of just falling in love with High Point, I think JMU is the clear choice. ABET accreditation, good school, pretty area of the state.

3+2 programs generally don’t have a great rep from what I’ve read. My experience is limited, but either you’re paying for an extra year of school, or you end up not even doing what you originally wanted to do.

2 Likes

I totally agree. My cousin’s child is not an engineering major.

HPU not being ABET accredited would be a deal breaker, unless your child is open to majoring in sth else.

4 Likes

Agree with others who posted here - I’d choose JMU for the ABET accreditation.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter if your coach is an Olympic gold medalist, if you’re not allowed to compete.
ABET accreditation is everything for any engineering job. If your program doesn’t have it, most companies won’t consider you, no matter what.
And it doesn’t look like HPU is looking for that accreditation nor is it on its way to earning it.
HPU will likely be friendlier and funner than JMU but it won’t graduate an engineer.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I should have clarified that my daughter “thinks” she wants to major in engineering but is not sure she is strong enough in math (did not take any math higher than pre-calculus in high school). She’s planning to go in undecided and take some intro to engineering classes. I think HPU’s smaller campus and Success Coach program may be helpful to her but we’ve been impressed with JMU too. Tough decision but two decent options.

I wouldn’t say HPU is friendlier than JMU…unless ABET engineers are a surly bunch by nature.

But your issue is - what if she does? Both schools will have a breadth of degrees - although a few of HPU are non traditional - like Sales - doesn’t mean they’re bad.

Good luck.

Contrary to chatter on these forums, students can study engineering after completing precalculus in high school and starting college math with calculus 1. JMU’s recommended schedule for engineering majors starts math with calculus 1: https://catalog.jmu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=50&poid=21264

However, it would be a good idea for the student to verify precalculus knowledge and review anything that the student is not strong in. The quiz at rurci3 can help determine what, if anything, needs to be reviewed (should be tried at the end of the school year after completing precalculus).

6 Likes

Honestly I am not a fan of HPU. Nido Quebain uses the title Doctor but he only has an honorary doctorate from UNC-Greensboro.