High School Classes for Nursing?

Currently I am a freshmen in highschool (still a long way to go!) but I wanted to start planning for the future, and I am hoping to go into nursing. What are crucial classes I should take for the next three be accepted into nursing school? Also, how much foreign language do they require? Thanks!

It really depends on the school. Most schools will have a section on their website that outlines what they like to see in nursing candidates.

I would think biology, chemistry and anatomy (if offered) would be the least. If statistics is offered, look into that (every school my junior daughter is looking into requires a college-level stats class in nursing, and she is currently taking AP Statistics). Take some other higher-level math … my daughter is also taking calculus. Think strong courses in science and math, but don’t take them to the exclusion of anything else. Take an art class if you want. :wink:

If you are proficient in a language, keep taking it all four years even if you don’t have to in order to graduate. That’s a nice add-on that can only help.

Agree with above. Most importantly get good grades. Direct admit programs are very competitive.

Many Direct Admit Nursing programs state that you need to get a minimum B in your HS Biology/Chemistry and usually your Math courses. As stated above ^^^^ get good grades since programs are competitive.

Definitely agree with @bearcatfan … And for nursing, statistics over calculus for sure… Some schools offer both and allow you to choose.
If you do well fresh and soph year in your sciences/math courses, consider dual enrollment at a local university or community college

I decided to be a nurse after taking Anatomy and Physiology in HS. I actually did not care for biology but loved A & P so do take it if you can.

My school doesn’t offer Anatomy, but I plan to take AP Bio, AP Chem, and AP Stats for sure. Any other must haves?

Yes, don’t forget to have fun.

As other people have noted, the most important class is AP bio. AP chem is useful, but not essential. Nurses take less chemistry than pre-med students. Some type of anatomy is very helpful.

I agree with stats, preferably AP stats. Calc is a waste of time for nurses. A psychology or sociology class is helpful.

I would first make a list of a few colleges you want to attend and list their prerequisites. (Another person noted that UConn wants physics but no one else requires it). I’d then take a look at the curriculum of a couple of those colleges and try to take some classes that feed into it.

Nursing is very time consuming, and some programs require more than 120 credits. It will be very helpful to have some AP or dual enrollment credits. When you get to the college, ask older nursing students which is the harder semester, and save your credits for use during those semesters. My daughter had one semester with both bio and chem, each with a lab, and it was very helpful to only have to take 12 credits that semester instead of 15

Spanish is helpful in almost every part of the US. The most selective colleges require you to take a foreign language or test out of it, but the less selective colleges generally do not.,

In both college and high school, try to save room for a couple classes that you will really enjoy.

I’ll disagree a bit on calculus being a waste of time, but it’s obviously an individual thing. I think anything you can do to make yourself competitive/stand out is good. My daughter is currently in honors precalc, and will likely do AP calc next year along with dual enrollment physics.

I agree with a second language, especially Spanish. She is not particularly gifted in that area, but keeps plugging along.

I tried to talk her into majoring in math, but didn’t get very far, lol.

Take the highest level math and science courses offered that you can receive good grades. Many schools, especially direct admit programs are looking for a minimum of: bio, chem, physics at the honors or AP level with a “B” grade. Math requirements seem to vary but also at honors or AP level, algebra A and B, geometry, calculus, and physics. Check each school that you may be interested in for their individual requirements. Also, make sure you take at least 2 yrs of a foreign language. Schools like to see 4 years of science and math. If you take any classes during the summer at CC or DE through HS, make sure that the transcript is included in your file.

It depends whether you are applying for a highly competitive university, such as U Penn or Georgetown vs. a moderately selective college. Those highly competitive universities expect to see you do very well in many AP classes, vs. a moderately selective college will be happy to see you do well in AP bio and a couple other APs (such as stats).

I still do not believe that calc serves any purpose for a nursing student. The typical nursing curriculum involves stats and a basic applied math course. Your energies would be much better placed in taking as much science as possible than in taking calc. As one person said, a nursing major really is a bio and anatomy major, in many ways.

Your first year of nursing school will be easier if you are taking subjects that you took in high school, such as stats, psychology, AP bio, honors or AP chem, etc…

I took Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy/Physiology and AP Biology and got A’s in all of them. I was admitted to both SDSU and CSUF direct entry nursing programs. I believe these courses will maximize your chances of admission, the more science the better. Ideally add AP Chemistry. I also took AP Stats and got a B. Calculus is not needed for CSUs but will help for UCLA and UCI. I also took 4 community college classes, including sociology and psychology with grades of A.

1 Like