High School Diplomats 2019

Hi! I didn’t see a forum for HSD 2019 yet, so I decided to make one.

“High School Diplomats (HSD) is a scholarship program that brings together high school students from the United States and Japan each summer through two parallel experiences. HSD U.S. provides the opportunity for American and Japanese students to meet at Princeton University for ten days of cultural exchange. HSD Japan allows American students who have successfully completed HSD U.S. to apply for a full scholarship to travel to Japan for a month the following summer.”

Anyone out there have any success with this program? It would be great if participants can share tips and their experiences.

Hey! I was a part of HSD 2018. It was really an amazing experience- though I have to say that this program is one you should really want if you apply. If you’re not passionate about what you’re doing, HSD could easily be stressful and miserable. If you’re passionate about it however, it will be one of the best things you’ve ever done.
I don’t want to scare anyone, just let you know that this isn’t a program to just collect because it will look good on college apps.

Other than that, my advice is show how much you want to be a part of the HSD experience. Let that excitement bleed into your application and interview, and they’ll be able to tell.

Did anyone else apply this year?

I did!

hey guys, i applied this year too. we are supposed to get our status updates soon

interview notifications just came out!!!

My D was selected to interview for the program. Anyone out there have experience with this? What kind of questions do they ask, what to wear, what are they looking for?

Any info at all would be helpful. She is very excited about this program. Are there any stats out there for how many kids who get to the interview stage actually get accepted?

I applied this year as well, but I haven’t gotten an update? Do they send out rejections as well?

I think you would have been notified by now. Some interviews have already started.

just had my interview yesterday, feel free to ask any questions if ur curious!

kanagawa - would love to hear more about your interview experience. My son will probably apply for this program in the next few years and he’d love to know more about it

@oldcmcalum hello! sure, what would you like to know?

@kanagawa I was curious if there were any questions that threw you off, or perhaps if there was background to the program that you were expected to know, along with any other general thoughts about the program. Good luck with your application by the way!

@Vemodalen hi!!
as for questions for threw me off, nothing was too out of the ordinary. there were a few “situational” questions that asked me what i would do in certain circumstances that took me a few moments to think about, and they also asked what my personal goals for the program are.
i would recommend thinking through why you want to attend this program, what you hope to get out of it, and what you, specifically, will bring to the program that only you can bring.
in the beginning of the interview at the waiting area, they often will have a few alumni there to receive you, answer any questions, and i believe they’re there for evaluation as well (they took down notes as we were talking).
in general, just be yourself! answer the questions honestly and fully, and maybe do a little thinking beforehand on why exactly you want to do the program! thank you, best of luck to you as well!

1 Like

has anyone gotten an acceptance yet? do you know when it comes out?

No news yet! It should be this week or early next week, right?

I believe it is the first week in April, so next week possibly.

declined.

declined but waitlisted