High school senior applying to NYU CAS [NJ resident, 3.97, 1530, parents require pre-med or pharmacy, and commuting from home]

Many families expect their children to be self-sufficient once they graduate from college, and just earning a college degree (with the associated skills of critical thinking, analysis, excellent writing, etc) along with some internships will usually get a student there, regardless of their major.

Many people (most?) are in jobs that have very little relation to their undergraduate majors. Being able to have transferable skills, learn quickly, and adapt are very important, as there are many jobs that exist now that didn’t exist 20 years ago, and there will be many jobs that exist now that won’t exist in 20 years and others that will be entirely new. Your major will not chain you to a particular career for life.

What are you interested in? That’s what I’d pick. If your family has concerns, then I suspect that data science/analytics or statistics would be the best bets. But I’d also be checking out what AI can do and what people think it will be able to do. I don’t know how that might play a role in the future. For instance, computer programming jobs are already being threatened by AI. Don’t know whether these other fields would be too, or not.

As you’ve mentioned being a foreign correspondent and international relations several times, have you looked at Seton Hall’s program in diplomacy? One of the majors that might be of particular interest is the International Quantitative Economics and International Relations major which requires fluency in another language and a professional internship. If you’re more interested in financial reporting, there’s a major in Mathematical Finance (or just regular finance). Its journalism major takes advantage of the college radio and tv stations as well as the college newspaper to provide experience and requires students to create and maintain a news blog, providing additional experience. I suspect you’d get amongst their more generous merit awards, but I don’t know if that will bring this school within budget for you. Make sure you run the NPC.

:100:

Are you eligible for any of these programs? These would be good ways to get an education within your family’s budget.

4 Likes