High school senior applying to NYU CAS [NJ resident, 3.97, 1530, parents require pre-med or pharmacy, and commuting from home]

See my reply to @blossom.
Trust me, I know I can be a journalist no matter which college I go to. It’s not about that- it’s about what my parents will make me do once I’m in that college.

No question? There should be a question as most medical school applicants don’t get accepted to ANY medical schools.

5 Likes

Your siblings are going to pharmacy school followed by med school? Why? And how do your parents know they will be accepted?

Once you graduate college and start working you will be able to go back to school for any degree you want, if you want to.

1 Like

I was hoping I could get scholarships from my academic profile, and maybe a Work-Study program could pay the rest. My sister went to Rutgers which is notoriously expensive, AND she was at one of the most competitive programs, and she paid less than 10,000 this year. Central Michigan isn’t as competitive and I could say my academics are arguably even stronger than hers.

Yes, but by then it will be too late. If I don’t get accepted, I’ll just become a Pharmacist. My life will be mapped out for me.

Have your parents looked at the job outlook for pharmacists? Hopefully things change.

You are an out of state student for Central Michigan…this is a public university and their first mission is to financially support their instate residents (like NJ supported your sister at Rutgers).

2 Likes

Rutgers does give merit to NJ residents who get into the honors college, which is very competitive but OP definitely has a shot. It’s no more expensive that other NJ state schools (TCNJ is more). So the OP’s parents expect a masters or doctorate in pharmacy, and then med school?

Yes, and if they do not get into med school they will work as pharmacists.

If you’re heart is not in medicine, you likely won’t be going to med school. One can’t simply choose to go. It’s not that easy.

Statistics would be a great major for healthcare and more - btw.

You know what - don’t give your parents access to anything Rutgers. Technically, they don’t even need to know what you are studying. It’s a courtesy that they do.

I may be wrong -but I think I have access to all things my kid because she grants permission.

2 Likes

Yes, but something tells me that these parents would require access. We never had any access to anything with our kids but do have #5’s log in information.

3 Likes

Yeah, but they think all jobs are like that. They don’t know what in-demand jobs there are.

Well then- prelaw it is. The good news is that there is no such thing as prelaw. So you can tell them that you are very focused on being the best law school applicant you can be… which means strong writing skills, analytical reading, and a deep dive on ANY topic you want- history, poli sci, econ, psychology, etc. But you can sell Psych as “Behavioral Economics” which sounds more marketable…

5 Likes

I checked their website. They don’t charge extra for OOS students, and only a few scholarships are for Michigan residents. Most pay attention to merit and extracurricular activity.

1 Like

Apply and see! It could be a good option for you.

1 Like

Yes, even though it’d be expensive and time-consuming. I’m trying to avoid that.

1 Like

It’s not just that. I don’t want my parents to tell me what choices to make in my academics in the hope of me getting into med school. Even if I don’t, I’ll end up doing something else that I don’t enjoy.

It is a complete waste to get a doctorate in Pharmacy and then apply to medical school. Frankly, I think it’s a good idea to make up your mind which track you intend to pursue. As with prelaw…there is no such major at most colleges called “premed”. You can major in anything as long as you take the required courses for medical school admission and do very well. So…could you sell your parents on a “premed” intention?

It’s not that simple. I can’t just withhold information from them. They’ll demand to know. Especially since three of my siblings went to Rutgers, two of them the six-year Pharmacy program.