High school senior applying to NYU CAS [NJ resident, 3.97, 1530, parents require pre-med or pharmacy, and commuting from home]

My older sisters take out loans or pay with their own money. My older brother, I honestly don’t know how they are paying for him. And my younger siblings cost 5-10k a year, each.
Therefore I don’t think I will get much in the way of money, but I’m in the middle class bracket so I probably won’t get a lot of financial aid either. Right now I’m hoping to get a full ride scholarship, and get a part time job to pay for commuting. I know Rutgers and Kean both offer full ride, but I’m not sure about the other colleges I’m applying to.

Alright, I will. Thank you.

I’m aware of all that. It’s not like I want to spend 4 hours a day on the train. If it’s not 4 hours, it’s 2 hours like my siblings.

I’m not really expecting to get into UPENN. I’d rather go to NYU anyway.

It’s definitely 140k a year. We’re good at saving, that’s all.

Just be absolutely sure to also make that sure-thing, cheapest local option - the community college to Rutgers route. As long as your parents are willing to file a FAFSA for you, you can borrow enough money each year to pay for community college, and much of Rutgers, without getting into too much debt. You can probably shave off a year of community college with APs and CLEP exams. https://modernstates.org/ You can have the battle with your parents about your major later on. Realize that with every year, you will have more power in that relationship.

A part time job is a great idea - why not get one now, and start saving your own money?

1 Like

I would not count on a full ride at Rutgers, they are not generous, if you manage to make it into the honors college you will get something.

3 Likes

I’m applying, but I don’t have much experience with these things, so it’s proving a little difficult.
I’ll apply to my community college, but I’d still much rather go to a university. I could get a little independence there, at least.

Yeah I don’t think they’d give me one, especially if I apply for the pharmacy program which is notoriously competitive.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.