High schooler going into nursing major

<p>Hi!
So overall, I want to become a Nurse Anethetist.
I'm a upcoming senior in high school and I am currently worried over which college I should go into and what nursing program i should apply to ( Or if its early to do that) etc etc [those kind of questions]</p>

<p>As i've researched about this Occupation, i've come to realize that it doesnt matter what college you go to as long as they have a nursing major and a NCLEX % of at least 90%+. (Yea 84%ish alright too, but i think i would prefer 90%+). so Overall i realized that the important factor of this Career is to just have your degrees.</p>

<p>But setting that aside, I've found/heard some colleges that offer nursing majors.(listed)
-CSLB -UCLA
-CSLA -UCI
-CS(sacramento)
-CS (Stanisiaus) *For UnderGraduates</p>

<p>So as i've researched, I found out these 6 colleges offer nursing degree (BSN) for Undergraduates... But the part i'm confused is that I've heard that UC's offer their nursing program for freshmens and that Cal states offer it to students who first finished their Pre.Req.. so first, is this true? second if it is true, what college should i focus my attention at.</p>

<p>I've also heard that UC Nursing programs are harder than that of Cal States for not much reason at all. And so to see it, I've found no information about UC's NCLEX % as if its hidden! while the CAl state colleges I've researched were rated 90% above at the year of 2009. (I believe N.A stance for 2010)</p>

<p>So to keep it short (Since i really want a answer) I want to know,
1)What i should be worrying about as a Upcoming High school senior.
2)What nursing program is out there that i should apply to like RIGHT now or in 2 years after i finish my Pre Req.
3)What do i need to do? like i've heard people go to MEPN program which last approx 2 years, 3 years at UCSF. ( or am i gettin to ahead of myself, afterall this is for graduate school).. so like when do i aply for these type of programs? after i get my BSN?
4)IF your a Nurse, What would you advice me to do? What could you have done to make your life as a nurse better? Like what would you have done if you were to go back to being a senior in highschool and wanted to become a nurse? What decision should i make?
5)Do you have to apply to Nursing major to go To Nursing program? Like for Example, I go to UCLA but i apply for Pschology ( i've heard their pre Req is almost the same as nursing).. CAn i apply to The nursing program?( But then i wont have a BSN degree right?)</p>

<p>Thankyou So much!!!!! its really long! ><'</p>

<p>So…you do know that every sentence does not need to start with SO…right?
Why don’t you start with reading the threads on just the first page of this forum and then re-ask any questions you still need answered.</p>

<p>Based on the schools you listed, I’m going to safely assume you’re a resident of California. While UCs may have more resources than CSUs, you’re correct about the school coming second to a nursing degree and your NCLEX score in terms of importance.</p>

<p>UCLA and UCI are two of the three direct nursing programs in CA (the third being the University of San Fransisco). This means you are part of their nursing program as a freshmen if admitted. As a result, these nursing programs are very competitive to get into. CSUs on the other hand are NOT direct programs. You have to take a series of prerequisite courses before applying to their nursing programs. I would say this is easier than applying to UCLA and UCI’s nursing program, but not by much. CSULB’s fall 2010 nursing class for example had students with an average of a 3.85 science GPA and an average 3.72 GE GPA. Source: <a href=“http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/nursing/docs/PoolStatsInitialFall10.pdf[/url]”>http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/nursing/docs/PoolStatsInitialFall10.pdf&lt;/a&gt; In addition, you have to take a test called “TEAS.”</p>

<p>In short, all nursing programs in California even those of Community Colleges, are heavily impacted and highly competitive. If you want to go into nursing, just be on top of your game.</p>

<p>To answer some of your questions…</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Make sure you have a fairly rigorous senior schedule. Get good grades. Don’t slack off or succumb to senioritis. Continue any volunteer experience you have, especially if they are health/medical related. And most importantly, have fun, it’s your last year as a high schooler after all!</p></li>
<li><p>I’m not sure if you have considered going to college out of state, but nevertheless, here is a list of direct nursing programs: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/859704-master-list-direct-entry-nursing-programs.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/859704-master-list-direct-entry-nursing-programs.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/li&gt;
<li><p>You can enter a MEPN after you get an undergraduate degree, but if you are sure on nursing, why not just get your BSN in the first place?</p></li>
<li><p>I’m not a nurse, but I’m sure there are many on this forum who would like to further advice you. :]</p></li>
<li><p>Yes, you can do that. As a would be current UCLA student, you’d changed your major to nursing once you’ve taken the appropriate classes. You’d end up with a BSN, and not a degree in psychology, if you end up following through. Source: [UCLA</a> School of Nursing](<a href=“http://www.nursing.ucla.edu/admissions/BSN/BSN_admissionrequirements.html]UCLA”>http://www.nursing.ucla.edu/admissions/BSN/BSN_admissionrequirements.html)</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I hope I helped clarify a few things for you. Good luck! =D</p>

<p>I dont know anything about nursing schools in CA but I suggest that you not mention your goal of becoming a Nurse Anesthetist in your college applications. My personal view is that all that tells people is that you want to make lots of money and work days - unless you have another reason that the field appeals to you…</p>

<p>Just a quick add-on to The Power of One’s post, (we make a great answering team!) :D</p>

<p>While it is possible to change into the nursing major at UCLA, it would most likely take an extra year. In the program, you start taking nursing classes your first quarter, and there are only 2 quarters in the 4 year plan where there are no nursing classes. And, the nursing classes are often only offered once a year, since there are so few students in the program and they all are following a strict 4 year plan. So don’t apply to UCLA thinking you could easily change to nursing. Technically you could, but it definitely wouldn’t be easy.</p>

<p>PS. Hi The Power of One. (:</p>

<p>to Aglages, your totally right lol i didnt realize that.( i think thats how i speak thats why!)</p>

<p>and to the power of one, wow that helped me alot! x) thankyou</p>

<p>To shanghai, you got it wrong. I searched up all the careers out there. I dont know what your colleagues around you think, but for me, I knew from when i was a child that i wanted to be in the medical field. If i DID want to make money i would have set my goal to become a doctor. But because of my Personality/habits/etc i know i dont match up to become a doctor, so i chose to become a nurse to stay in the medicine field as i’ve wished upon. but anyhow, Thankyou</p>

<p>Lee45910 - yes, that’s why you want to be a Nurse but you should be prepared to explain why you want to be a Nurse Anesthetist in particular. Have you shadowed one? Or some other reason that you are drawn to anesthesia? Usually nursing students will know that they plan to continute their studies but they won’t pick a field until they have done a clinical rotation that they really like.<br>
Saying you want to be a NA without a specific reason behind it could mean that you are drawn by the money and the hours and might make admissions committees wonder if you really want nursing. (just my opinion of course)</p>

<p>Dear Lee45910,</p>

<p>You are worried about way too much right now. First, You are telling us you are a HS Senior (or starting any day now) and you haven’t applied to any of the schools you mention? Time is ticking.</p>

<p>All the advise on this thread is fabulous, but you’ll need to put in your applications now or you run the risk of the nursing programs filling up (if you choose a direct admit program). Check out the Direct Admit thread.</p>

<p>Once you are in a program, make a list of all the schools that offer Masters in Nurse Anesthetist, then work towards that goal.</p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>

<p>^The applications aren’t even available yet.</p>

<p>^^
Some OOS nursing programs have been accepting applications for about a month.</p>

<p>^Yeah I know, I was referring to the ones on the OP’s list.</p>

<p>If you are willing to consider going OOS, you may find it easier to get into a program. I know someone from CA who ended up going to nursing school in So. Carolina as it was so difficult to get into a Calif school. It was probably more money than going to a UC, but she then wasn’t spending money going to college for extra years waiting to get in.</p>

<p>My daughter recently mentioned that she was surprised at how many students from California are in the Pitt Nursing Program.</p>

<p>Thankyou everyone! and</p>

<p>Shanghai mom. The reason i want to become a nurse anethetist is because originally i wanted to become a doctor. I wanted to become a open heart surgeon since i was a kid. My uncle is a doctor in that field and time to time i was able to see what he was doing (not in usa tho). When i saw what he was doing, i was just amazed how another human being could save anothers life, despite my age at that time.
i mean i wont deny it, As a child, its true that i did tell my mom time to time i wanted to become that and this, but at the end i always decided to be a doctor!..</p>

<p>Anyways,</p>

<p>As time passed and i began to age I realized becoming a doctor wasnt a joke.(Not that i thought it was before!) I began to lose confidence in myself that i would become a “good” doctor! I mean the thought of The huge responsibility that comes along with it still burdens me…
So i thought to myself one day, is there anything else in the medince field that would allow me to go into surgeries? another medical occupation that does something similar (At least even a little) as a doctor. (Basically i was looking for another occupation in the medical field that was similar as a doctor yet wasnt.)(If you know what i mean.)</p>

<p>Surprisingly, I had a friend at that time. I was in Sophmore year of high school and she was a senior almost in college. </p>

<p>Someway or somehow, we began to talk about our future and about the occupation called “Nurse anethetist”.
Overall, The job description she provided me and later researches i did surprisingly made “Anethetist” very appealing to me at that time. (as of present also)</p>

<p>And the story goes on, but I do not feel as though i need to continue…</p>

<p>I was in desperate need of information i couldn’t achieve through my lousy research so i didnt mention why i wanted to become this certain occupation in that certain field. But to be honest, i didnt know i “Had” to explain such topic on an online helping website…</p>

<p>I didnt want you to misunderstood me, so here was half of the story.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>i meant misunderstand.</p>

<p>I wasnt asking for an explanation for myself - only pointing out that admissions officers will probably want one - just trying to be helpful so you come across the right way. To state on an undergrad app that you want to be a NA without a good reason could make you sound superficial. The desire to be present during surgeries is the key thing to mention. There are many nurse practioner fields where nurses assume the traditional roles of doctors so just saying that you first wanted to be a doctor doesnt cover the anesthetist part. Sounds like you have a real interest in the field - just urging you to convey it in a way that really reflects your passion…</p>

<p>Hi! I just read your reasoning on becoming a Nurse Anethetist and I saw that you were looking for something close to a doctor but not quite. I am in a similar situation. Have you considered being a Physician Assistant? It’s ranked the #2 job in America, great pay, some call it “Doctor lite.” You get a BS in any science subject, probably Biology or something, then apply to a 2 year PA program and your done! You basically do the same stuff doctors do but you are supervised. Or, if you want to go into the nursing route, you should consider being a Nurse Practitioner–they are also much like doctors.</p>