High stats female junior chasing merit money for Environmental Engineering

Michigan Tech. Definitely not in the Northeast, but a good environmental engineering program and a school desperate to balance their m:f ratio. Although it’s in a remote location, it has one of the biggest job fairs in the country. Their graduates are highly recruited.

They do offer a full ride. However, the criteria changed last year and it was a mess. It went from only a few people being invited to the competition to a couple of hundred. That was fine when it was online, but getting to Michigan Tech (Houghton airport in the UP of Michigan) is not easy and is quite expensive. To top it off, it was in the winter when flights can be diverted. So, you really have to weigh your slim chances of being one of 10 (12?) finalists against the hassle and expense of attending the competition.

Michigan Tech is a great school for the right person. Must embrace the cold and outdoors and living in a small/close community. There are some great Youtube videos to check out to see if it might be a fit.

New Brunswick is the flagship, and significantly higher ranked than the other two schools (which originally were other schools that Rutgers purchased).

2 Likes

If the person is first in their class at a well-respected highly competitive magnet STEM, with a virtually perfect confirmatory SAT score, why in the world would GPA matter? Do you really think that admissions committees are so obtuse that, barring non-academic considerations, they would think that a person coming from a high school known to have low standards, who has a 4.0, is more qualified than, say, someone coming out of Stuyvesant with a 3.9, having taken the most rigorous classes offered at one of the best public high schools in the country? The young woman’s GPA is I’m sure very high - they wouldn’t be first in their class otherwise. This person is not looking at schools that are less highly ranked than Rutgers New Brunswick. That is the academic and economic safety. They’re chasing merit money at highly rated schools.

I appreciate that for those with lesser qualifications, this may be relevant information, but what I’m looking for is recommendations for an extremely high stats woman going into engineering who is chasing merit money at a school that is at least as good as Rutgers NB for environmental engineering, and offers merit money that would bring the cost of attendance to less than 30K/yr, hopefully full tuition, possibly a full ride. A full college that offers MAJORS (not just a few individual classes) in the liberal arts is preferable, for an academically diverse group of peers, and the possibility of changing into a liberal arts major if direction changes. The family can afford Rutgers without merit, but it would be nice to pay less, and hopefully for a more highly ranked school.

I appreciate the recommendation but she is looking to stay in the Northeast. Plus that is insane, flying to a remote region to compete for a scholarship with only a 10% chance of winning. Seems to me that they’re effectively self-selecting for in-state, just by virtue of that requirement.

Are you asking for someone who is not your child?

1 Like

In general, for many reasons, not least of which is privacy, users should only start threads such as this for themselves or their dependants. Closing.

5 Likes