High Stats Student Looking for Merit in the North East

Thanks @WayOutWestMom @thumper1 , @mommdc and @MarylandJOE

Delaware is a public that offers merit to OOS students on the east coast.

@twoinanddone

This poster is looking for BS/MD programs. Does Delaware even have one?

Didn’t realize the original post was split and that the question was entirely different now, with different stats too. Same title on the post, just looking for schools in the north east (which Delaware is not, but then neither is Maryland).

Well
Maryland is their place of residence, and this OP has limited costs to what instate Maryland would cost.

It sounds like they are only looking for BS/MD programs. That is risky when significant merit aid is needed.

@thumper1 and all :wink:

I didn’t know my original question became a new thread now . Thanks you :wink:

Anyway, to clarify, our plan is apply for a few of the public BS/MD schools in addition to the traditional pre med track schools. We know coming in that BS/MD is a long shot for us so UMD is very high in our list among others like U of South Carolina, etc 

Of course, we also have to weight in cost factor and our hope is our daughter get into 1 of the BS/MD with some merits aids to bring down the cost similar to the cost of going to UMD.

Thank you all for providing the insights 

Below is what I gather so far the cost of some of the BS/MD schools on the Northeast side:

1. George Washington University: $68,625 - Maybe instituitional grant up to $35K.
  2. St. Bonaventure University: $50,000 -Potential Presidential scholarship for $25000.
  3. University of Pittsburgh: $46,940 May get $15K or more merit scholarship.
  4. Temple University: $50,432 - Maybe scholarship.
  5. VCU: $46,000 or more - Maybe scholarship
  6. Hofstra University: $66,500 "May get $30K scholarship.
  7. Stony Brook University: $45,000 - May get Provostial Scholarship $25,873 and Valedictorian Scholarship $2,000.
  8. Rutgers University: $51K - May get scholarship. "NJIT: $50,000+ - May get scholarship.

We also look at U of SC (51K/yr) with potential scholarship or U of Del but if they cost more than UMD then we may just go to UMD since it’s very good school and about 45 mins from our house.

1 Like

When looking at OOS public BS/MD programs, look to see how many OOS they admit. Many of them have a very strong instate bias for admittance.

Rowan has a BS/MD program. They give a max of $10k/yr merit, I don’t know what that will do for out of state costs, but I believe it’s cheaper than Rutgers and it’s a very good program.

Check also to see if the merit awards apply for all the years of a BS/MD program. I’m betting
no.

@WayOutWestMom ?

Any institutional merit aid tends to be awarded for all of the undergrad years-- so long as the OP’s D maintains the requirements to receive the grant. However, all merit ends when med school begins. Funding med school is another whole thing in itself.

Undergrad programs are not desperate to attract BA/MD applicants no matter how high their stats since there are plenty of other equally well-qualified applicants. Colleges tend not to award the really big merit to BA/MD students since programs know they will enroll regardless.

I would suggest the OP and her daughter look at the cost of the associated medical school for each of the programs on her list since BA/MD programs lock a student into matriculating at the associated med school. All the programs she listed are either OOS or private. The higher cost of the medical school will far negate any savings gained by getting undergrad merit.

Any student who qualifies for BA/MD program will almost certainly be a strong candidate for a traditional med school admission in 4 years. One of the purposes of BA/MD programs is to attract students who would not otherwise consider that particular undergrad.

Also consider that a significant portion of BA/MD students–as many as 1/3 to 1/2 of some programs— drop out of the program during undergrad. Mostly due to a change of interest. So no matter how certainly your D is NOW that she wants to be a doctor, realize she may not feel the same way 2 or 3 years from now.

@WayOutWestMom : Thank you for very detailed explanation.

We are still in the researching stage but so far the only three schools that are very high on the list are:

1. Pitt (BS/MD or traditional UG). It's a good pre med UG and potential good SOM. With merit scholarship, it's just a little more than the cost of going to UMD UG.
  2. NJIT (BS/MD only). I heard that students who get admitted to the program will get a full ride but not confirm yet.
  3. UMD (traditional UG). Decent pre med UG. My D should get small scholarship on top of cheaper in-state tuition.

as for Med schools, they are all very expensive and except for UM SOM where in-state admitted students get in-state rate. But that is still a long way and my D may just want to some thing else 
maybe :wink: .

For now, we just challenge her to keep up the pace - Don’t drop the grade, sign up for more EC during summer and prepare for ACT, SAT subject tests while we doing the leg work to find her a decent UG that we can afford.

Thanks again for great info 

Your D needs to want to do this, not you.

This is going to be a tough, long road for her.

You shouldn’t need to challenge her, the drive should come from her.

And all of these schools you mentioned are excellent UG schools, and Pitt is a great med school, as is UMD’s.

I agree with all of this.

Considering the relatively high personal and financial costs of attaining an MD degree, the uncertainty surrounding what our healthcare system will look like 10+ years from now, and the associated unpredictability of the financial payoff, especially in certain specialties
those who choose to pursue the life of a physician feel a true calling to help others.

Agree with the above 2 posters.

Your daughter should be internally motivated toward medicine. You shouldn’t need to challenge her to reach certain achievement goals. Nor should you be the driving force for her involvement in volunteer activities. All that has to come from her.

If the dedication isn’t there, how will your daughter get through the the physically & mentally exhausting days & nights of med school and residency? Some days the only thing getting a med student/resident out of bed after working for 32 hours straight and getting only 4 hours of sleep [for the 4th day in a row] is their internal grit and dedication.

Those who go into medicine for the wrong reasons (parental expectations, prestige, financial rewards, etc.) are the ones who burn out or fail out.

Maybe I gave the wrong impression :slight_smile: and yes, I agree with @WayOutWestMom, @Mwfan1921 and @mommdc.

Our D wants to study and hope to be a doctor someday and was the one who told us about BS/MD program. We challenged her to work hard to be competitive when she applies in the falls, but we also let her know that we set the limit for cost, so even if she get accept to a BS/MD program, if it’s expensive, then she has to go to cheaper UG school (most likely UMD).

Personally, I was hoping her to go for CS or engineering but she shows no interest even after we told her that her mom was a pre-med turn into CS in her 2nd year. :slight_smile:

Just wait! Your daughter could also change her mind.

If your D is looking for a smaller school than a public she might add Ursinus to her research. It’s not a BS/MD school but is very successful with their graduated being accepted to medical school. Plus they have some significant merit awards.

https://www.ursinus.edu/admission/scholarship-opportunities/

@MistySteel27 : Thank you for the info. We added the school to the list. Look like decent merit aids from 30K to 40K.

Yes, but it costs over $70,000 doesn’t it?