Hispanic Scholarship Fund 2017-18

@ChalatecoSV I forgot to mention, HSF just deposits the scholarship check directly in a student’s checking account througha program with Wells Fargo so my DD actually just held on her to her check. What I posted was done for other scholarships. Also HSF is always late at distributing money so I think my DD didn’t get check until Nov. 1 last year.

@itsv thank you for the clarification. I am in this complicated transitioning phase where I am transferring to another university…basically life…and this helps, that way when I transfer I can use that money towards that.

Did anyone else just get a text message from HSF? I’m looking but there wasn’t any visible changes or email notification, but the message said there was a status change, so I’m kinda confused.

I know right!! I got the same text message, I thought maybe they would take me off the waitlist? Not sure why they sent me the text, there’s NO change in my status right now.

Yeah same, it hasn’t showed anything different. I’m gonna try contacting them tomorrow, it’d be a happy surprise for sure if it was a status change!

Hey guys, I also got a text message from HSF, but nothing has changed. Does someone knows anything about this??? I am confused!

Do you know anything about this text message? I got one too! I was thinking to call tomorrow…

My daughter got only a text message today. We didn’t even know there had been updates to the portal. Was there really an August 4th deadline? We never got an email only text. Her app status says waitlisted. I would appreciate anyone clarifying if there was an earlier deadline & what transcript they are looking for. We only have Fall senior HS transcript.

Ok, I have some news…I just called HSF to ask about the text message. They told me that it was a general text message to all scholars. Nothing really has changed. We are still on the waiting list. After reading all of the comments on this forum I realized that most of the scholars have been waitlisted. I don’t know which ones are our chances of getting a monetary scholarship but lets have some hope!
Did anyone here apply to HENAAC scholarship?

They told me the same too! @Celesteok and I did! I applied to HENAAC Scholarship…when are they going to tell us?

They told me like in 2 weeks or so…but the thing is, they won’t send personal emails. They will post the announcement on their website! @scmd111 are you a grad or undergrad?

My DD received a HENAAC Scholarship last year. Like HSF, they have a small staff so there were delays with the scholarship announcement. Check their fb page and website for updates. Winners will see their names in a press release. Be sure to go to the conference which is required, my DD got multiple job offers there.

@orangerosy The scholars who were awarded a scholarship got an email saying that our documents are due on the 31st of August.

@itsv so basically the winners will be posted online? do u know the specific date ur daughter got notified about the HENAAC scholarship?

@scmd111 HENAAC issued a press release on August 29 last year which listed my DD as a scholarship winner and then on August 30 she received an email from Great Minds in Stem notifying her that she was selected for a scholarship. I remember Great Minds in Stem would post scholarship updates such as “we need an additional two weeks to review applications” which let us know that they had not yet made any decisions.

Good luck.

My DS was waitlisted, submitted the additional info on 7/21/18, got the text on 8/10/17 - only to find out the same as all of you - that is went out to all scholars. However, last night it said “wait listed” and today that is gone, it just shows the date of application submission, and the date the additional info was submitted. Does that mean he is no longer being considered? Also, what does being an HSF Scholar mean? Should he let his school know that he is one, will they care? TIA :slight_smile:

I’m seeing the same thing. It said waitlisted online and now that is gone and only shows when documents were submitted and application was submitted.

Hi
I received an email that I have been wait listed and asking for a bunch of documents. I submitted the documents. A few days ago I received a text that there was an important announcement and for me to log in. I logged in and saw nothing (no email, no nothing). I emailed them and told them about the text, etc.
This was their response:
Thank you for your inquiry. Please log in to your HSF account, and visit your Dashboard to check your application status. Make sure to submit your supporting documents in the “Upload Document” tab by 8/31/17. If you have other questions or concerns feel free to contact us.

If you have already uploaded your required documents, then you can disregard the text message.

Dang, never even knew HENAAC existed, I will apply next year. Just in case are there other hispanic tailored scholarships I should know about other than HSF and HENAAC?

@ChalatecoSV I have helped my DD for the past 4 years in researching private scholarships. A student really has to simply do the research themselves to find them because there is no one listing. Every year when I think I have found all that she could apply for, I then find new ones when I do updated research. Here are some tips and listings:

1. Right now there is a big push for STEM Hispanic students so a lot of private scholarships focus on that area especially in engineering. Research terms like "underserved" and "engineering" or "STEM" and you should find scholarships.
  2. Some companies use scholarships as recruitment tools for getting Hispanic students interested in them. I don't have the time to list all of them but here are some I know of: Shell Incentive Fund Exxon through the Hispanic Heritage Foundation's Fellowship program ESA Through HHF fellowship program Atkins Palantir Honda Buick Ford Southwest Airlines (this scholarship is for plane tickets) Microsoft Google Boeing My DD's multicultural office and her major issue newsletters that list those type of scholarship opportunities.
  3. Professional Societies such as SHPE, Society of Manufacturing Engineering, Latino Journalism etc. have scholarships directed at underserved students. If you are good enough to win a HSF scholarship then you would have the qualifications to apply also to the general scholarships from those organizations.
  4. Latino organizations such as LULAC, Adelante etc.
  5. Listings of scholarships for Hispanic Students; The Congressional Hispanic Caucus has a guide that lists a ton of scholarships for Hispanic students plus they also give out scholarship. Scroll down to the bottom page of this link and you will see the link to their guide as well as other scholarship listings directed at Hispanic Students. https://www.adelantefund.org/scholarships

http://www.bestcolleges.com/financial-aid/hispanic-latino-scholarships/ This has a listing of some scholarships and other good resources

Congresswoman Lucy Roybal has a great listing of scholarships too https://roybal-allard.house.gov/uploadedfiles/student_resource_guide.pdf

One thing you may find is if you do a very good job on a couple of scholarships, you can then copy and paste the essays and activities into other scholarships so it is not as much work. Also try to include a resume which is no more than 3 pages long.

Private scholarship money is usually the toughest to get but if you have good grades and are Hispanic and do a good job on the application, there just might be some opportunities for you. I know with my own DD, the private scholarships have made her college affordable for us. Do the research because you just may find a few scholarships that not a lot of students know about. My DD is an engineering student and is part of a competition team. It turns out manufacturers of the parts used in the competition had scholarships and my DD won three of them.

Good luck.