Hispanic Students - Class of 2017 Discussion Thread

<p>Also, since you’re from AZ, you should look at WUE schools:</p>

<p>[Western</a> Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education](<a href=“http://www.wiche.edu/wue]Western”>Save On College Tuition | Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE))</p>

<p>Remember, this program varies with the school and with what state you are a resident in. For instance:</p>

<p>At some schools, if you are admitted then you qualify for a tuition reduction.<br>
At others, it functions more like a scholarship and is competitive.<br>
At UOregon, CA residents cannot participate.</p>

<p>Forgot to say: if you find a WUE school that looks good, go to the college website and find out the details about how to qualify, the website I gave you is a place to start, but unfortunately it doesn’t give all of the information needed.</p>

<p>Check out UMinn-Twin Cities:</p>

<p>[University-Wide</a> Scholarships](<a href=“http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/costsaid/schol_campus.html]University-Wide”>University-Wide Academic Scholarships | Office of Admissions)</p>

<p>They have diversity scholarships and their OOS tuition is relatively low to start with. They offered my D2 a great deal a couple of years ago and treated her extremely well when we visited (dinner w/ an adcom, 2 private tours, met with another adcom and the head of the Honors program).</p>

<p>Thank you. I will research those. We live in a rural area outside of the Phoenix area. The school is not very good, and the counselors seem to change every year. Last year her counselor told me that most kids from the school just go on to community college. I’m really not expecting much help from the school. The good thing is I do have the time to do the research; but I’m feeling like I’m already behind schedule. SAMS did a good job in helping my daughter learn about the college admission process. I would definitely recommend their program to anyone.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Even though it means that you’re essentially on your own to figure out the admissions process, it’s better you know now, and not be mislead and have your D apply to a bunch of schools that are either out of her reach or where she could have done better, both academically and financially. </p>

<p>Glad to hear that SAMs is a good program, D1 applied but wasn’t accepted and D2 was summer program application essay adverse ;).</p>

<p>Would the following be sufficient to show Math proficiency. My child is interested in majoring in Applied Mathematics.</p>

<p>AP Calc AB 5
SAT Math II 710
ACT Math 33</p>

<p>AP Calc BC and AP Statistics will be taken senior year.</p>

<p>I was hoping someone else would answer as I’m not experienced in applying as a math major. The best I can offer is that it likely depends on the school. On the far end of the spectrum you have tech schools like MIT where the 25:75% Math Subject tests is 760:800, and a fair number of applicants will probably have taken higher math in college. But like I say, this is the extreme, I’m guessing that for the majority of colleges, those scores are great.</p>

<p>Anyone know a lot about Rice? I am getting heavily recruited by them(I got invited to a program to explore their campus in the following weeks) I assume because of my being a Venture scholar, but yeah I want to go to a business program and I know that they are a great school so any opinions would be appreciated</p>

<p>smileygerl, those stats are very similar to my son’s who wants to study engineering. My understanding is that these stats are fine. Nobody in admissions is about to say, oh look a 710 on math II, he will not be able to get the work done, but this 790 will win the Nobel Prize. Do you know what I mean? I was reading a blog by Matt McGann (sp?) of Admissions at MIT, who said an applicant with 760 on Math II asked him if it was worth retaking. Matt said no, it will not matter. Even an 800 did not make him think someone was a star. The math stars win math competitions like USAMOs - things that I had never even heard of or even know they existed, until I came to CC a year ago.</p>

<p>ps: There are no Nobel Prizes for engineering or mathematics. It was just a figure of speech. lol</p>

<p>smileygerl,</p>

<p>Those scores look good. What schools are you looking at? </p>

<p>I will confess that my son took the Math SAT II in 8th grade and got a 760. I felt that, as a math major, he should take it again to get an 800, so he took it again in 11th to get that 800. I don’t know that it was necessary as he’d also taken the physics SAT II in 8th and gotten an 800. At the time, though, those were my thoughts and since the SAT IIs are pretty inexpensive and only an hour long, I figured, why not? </p>

<p>But, what perazziman shares should be encouraging. It seems like your scores show a fine proficiency in math.</p>

<p>Lakersfan,</p>

<p>Congratulations on getting recruited by Rice! It is an outstanding school. Do you have specific questions about it?</p>

<p>sbjdorlo,</p>

<p>Your son’s scores are off the charts for a puerto rican male. I would say he is one of a handful of students in the nation. Even more impressive is that you accomplished this with an income of 77,000 for family of five living in California (high COLA). Your son has a bright future ahead of him.</p>

<p>I just want to ensure my child has scored sufficiently to show proficiency in math. </p>

<p>On a side note…</p>

<p>My first child is at an elite university studying engineering and is performing at a very high level and did not have the stats normally seen on cc.</p>

<p>Good luck to all the students applying to college this year.</p>

<p>I believe it not the Math II 800 score, but things such as these that make sbjdorlo son a star to MIT:</p>

<p>Physics Olympiad semi-finalist 3X
AIME 3X (best score: 8)
ARML 3 X (best individual score: 5)
Physics Bowl team 2nd in country (2011)</p>

<p>+the research and university math courses he has taken.</p>

<p>Perazziman,</p>

<p>I should have been clearer, sbjdorlo son’s resume is off the charts and atypical, especially for a puerto rican male. </p>

<p>I never even knew about all these competitions until last year. It was a real eye opener for me. Again, hats off to sbjdorlo. I know she homeschooled her son. She truly was insightlful to the whole process of building a great resume for her son. You don’t normally see working class parents($77,000yr) with five children participating in competitions at that level.</p>

<p>I researched these competitions to educate myself, what I found, was that there are certain commonalities seen in the students who participate in these competitions. Some of these commonlities are: a great school district or private school, an above average income, educated parents, etc. …get my drift.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www3.delta.edu/michaelfaleski/physicsbowl/PhysicsBowl_2011_Results.pdf[/url]”>http://www3.delta.edu/michaelfaleski/physicsbowl/PhysicsBowl_2011_Results.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Ha-ha, just to clarify, we’re a <em>family</em> of 5, with 3 children. :-)</p>

<p>As for the competitions, you would have to understand our long path/story to know how we got there. To make it short, my son always had a very strong math gift/ability and as a relaxed homeschooler, my job was to follow his lead. It was very challenging trying to keep up with him in both academics and energy. When I stumbled upon the fact that he was gifted, I entered that online community and it led me to some amazing opportunities. I’m sure that’s how I originally found out about competitions.</p>

<p>Several things: We live in a large city with a great math circle. Two, he did Mathcounts in middle school but didn’t enjoy the experience as a homeschooler, so did not go back to the math circle until I basically forced him in 10th grade. I knew he needed a challenge he wasn’t getting in community college classes. It worked out and he’s glad I strongly encouraged him to give it another try.</p>

<p>Our neighborhood schools are crummy. Given that fact, the fact of his advanced math skills from early on, and the fact of his excessive energy, those things all led to us homeschooling. My dh has a steady blue collar job (for which I am so thankful even if he doesn’t enjoy it) and I am a former special ed teacher. Still, I mostly outsourced my son’s education from the age of 9 because I didn’t have the knowledge or skills to teach him.</p>

<p>So yes, most or all of his friends in math/physics competitions come from “the other side of the tracks” but are nice kids and families. What’s interesting is that no one knew my son was PR; they assumed he was Indian (Asian)! LOL</p>

<p>But smileygerl and perraziman, you have much to look forward to in the application process and I know we will be celebrating with you in the spring! :-)</p>

<p>PS. He has plenty of deficits. He is definitely lopsided in his academics. While he enjoys writing, he can be hot and cold in his ability and is much more inclined towards math and physics. I have no doubt he’ll be very challenged at school to do well in humanities. However, he tends to be a quick learner and hopefully (and this advice is good for all our kids) he’ll ask for help before he fails anything.</p>

<p>Sbjdorlo,</p>

<p>You are not giving you or your son enough credit. </p>

<p>He is brilliant and an accomplished violinist. He is very fortunate to have a parent who saw his talents and acted on them. </p>

<p>I think it is wonderful that you were able to outsource his education and enroll him in community college classes at such a young age. In high cost of living areas, it is difficult to afford the type of education you provided for your son. You have done a great job. =)</p>

<p>Sorry for the typographical error ( 3 instead of 5 children).</p>

<p>To all the hispanic students applying to college this year. Acceptance to an elite university is possible.</p>

<p>-You do NOT need a list of competition wins (AIME, Science Bowls, etc.) to gain acceptance to selective colleges. Admissions officers know that many hispanic working class parents are unaware of these competitions. As I said earlier, the students who compete in these programs come from a select population with similar attributes. </p>

<p>-You do NOT have to be an accomplished instrumentalist (own an instrument that cost $700.00 and participate in music camps which are expensive).</p>

<p>-You do NOT have to take college courses at your local community college.</p>

<p>Admissions officers know what can be afforded with an annual salary of 75,000 in a high COLA.</p>

<p>You MUST perform well in school taking the most rigorous coursework available to you, participate in extracurricular activities, and score well on the SAT/ACT. </p>

<p>Good luck to all.</p>

<p>Thanks smilelygerl, that is good to know. Our annual income is probably around $50k, but I would have to let the H&R Block people tell us what it is.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thanks sbjdorlo, I believe, realistically, he will be very happy if he makes it to Northeastern or TX A&M. We do not think he has a serious shot at the top schools. Although, we continue to take the required steps to apply to them too.</p>

<p>Absolutely, perraziman! We did exactly what you’re doing: applied to a wide variety of schools and choose schools that seemed like a good fit where he could be happy. He was very close to choosing UT Dallas and he was excited about Pitt. I think he would have made the best of it wherever he chose. Heck, we even knew that he might just go back to the community college and continue on from there; nothing wrong with that. My middle son will probably do that. :-)</p>