Hispanic Students - Class of 2017 Discussion Thread

<p>I am a Hispanic female living in New York who is also a NHRP scholar. 2240 SAT, 95 GPA
I have received full tuition scholarships from Fordham University, St. John’s University, and Molloy College so far, with more decisions to come. I hope this post gives hope to other Hispanic students applying to colleges. Work hard and get those scores! It will pay off! We are fortunate to be sought after- take nothing for granted. Never thought I’d be so blessed in my life.</p>

<p>Great job MmeD!</p>

<p>Thanks for posting, we look forward to hearing more good news!</p>

<p>Son was accepted EA to MIT. He is very excited. It was his first application. Special thanks to entomom, sbjdorlo, and itsv for sharing such great info on this site. We learned so much from your posts.</p>

<p>Alright, bublubu! A huge congratulations to your son!!</p>

<p>Well done, Madamedefarge!!</p>

<p>Congratulations to your S bublubu, wonderful news!</p>

<p>So nice to get positive early news, it makes the Holidays a lot more relaxed!</p>

<p>I was just reading the early decision admission statistics for Harvard. I found it quite puzzling to see the number of accepted Hispanics students decrease from 76 to 70. There are certainly many qualified Hispanics who have the stats to apply to this school. I wonder if many of the Hispanics are to intimidated and therefore do not apply ED in great numbers. </p>

<p>My child did not even consider applying HYP for that very reason. My child did get accepted to a top six school (USN&WR). I am choosing not to mention to retain anonymity.</p>

<p>I would like to encourage more Hispanic students to apply to these top colleges. They offer the best financial aid.</p>

<p>Congratulations to all!</p>

<p>Got accepted to Stanford REA! :smiley:
Was very surprised to see that Hispanics only make up about 7.4 % of the entire population at Stanford.</p>

<p>Nice job, congrats to smileykid!</p>

<p>Excellent Gallardo, you earned it, now enjoy!</p>

<p>what are the top colleges with great financial aid?</p>

<p>While there are always exceptions, in general, the level of need based FA is related to size of endowment: the wealthier colleges tend to offer more generous FA packages (the amount of need covered and/or the amount in loans).</p>

<p>My experience (3 years of comparing FA from different schools) with a very straightforward financial situation (income and assets only, no business, etc.) is that HYPS are above all others and may offer significantly more than schools a step down (eg. Dartmouth, Brown, Amherst, WUSTL, Pomona). As an example, last year for D2, the COA for Y was 8k, while Pomona was 30k, even after requesting a review and getting some relief.</p>

<p>Of course, as with all things connected to college admissions and FA, YMMV, hopefully others will comment with their experiences and knowledge.</p>

<p>The best way to get some idea of what you might pay with private colleges is to run their Net Price Calculators.</p>

<p>If you’re interested in merit scholarships, that’s a whole different batch of colleges.</p>

<p>The other two schools that offered my son even better need-based aid than Princeton were Caltech and Vanderbilt.</p>

<p>Here’s a good article on managing the expectations of the college process… He also applied via Questbridge</p>

<p>[A</a> College Applicant With an ‘Advantage’ Manages Expectations - NYTimes.com](<a href=“http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/envelope-please-leobardo-espinoza-jr-5/]A”>A College Applicant With an 'Advantage' Manages Expectations - The New York Times)</p>

<p>Interesting article but a little hard to evaluate given that there a are (understandably) no stats of any sort given. I do have a few questions about this list:</p>

<p>American University (D.C.)<br>
Amherst College (Mass.)<br>
Bowdoin College (Me.)<br>
Brown University (R.I.)<br>
Stanford University (Calif.)<br>
Washington University in St. Louis (Mo.)<br>
University of Kansas<br>
Wichita State University (Kan.)<br>
Yale University (Conn.)
Yale-NUS College (Singapore)</p>

<p>I see two likely safeties (KS publics)</p>

<p>Two more mid tierish (American and Bowdoin)</p>

<p>And the rest are reachs for anyone (Y-NUS is in it’s first year, so this one is hard to determine). Unless the applicant is happy to attend IS colleges, this could be a risky list IMO as there are very few schools with moderate acceptance rates.</p>

<p>Again this is without any stats, they could be a competitive candidate gpa & testing-wise for those highly selective colleges, or one that is relying on a large URM boost.</p>

<p>I’m left wondering why no EA at S or Y, as I would assume the AVID program would advise students about this. </p>

<p>And I’m not seeing many opportunities for merit other than the IS publics, WUSTL (extremely competitive), American and Bowdoin (small NMS award only).</p>

<p>Here’s a followup on Mr. Espinoza’s college search…</p>

<p>[Is</a> a Full Ride Enough to Upgrade a ‘Fallback’ School? - NYTimes.com](<a href=“Is a Full Ride Enough to Upgrade a 'Fallback' School? - The New York Times”>Is a Full Ride Enough to Upgrade a 'Fallback' School? - The New York Times)</p>

<p>I enjoy reading his blog, but I agree with Entomom as to why he didn’t apply early action somewhere. It’s good to see that he will have some options though.</p>

<p>Thanks for the update, good to see that he will definitely have a financially feasible college to attend in the fall!</p>

<p>One comment on the terminology used in the article. An ofttimes misused term, ‘full ride’, most generally applies to a merit (not need based FA) scholarship for tuition, R&B (and sometimes a book allowance, summer program, etc.). I would technically call his award a ‘full tuition’ scholarship rather than a ‘full ride’. Picky yes, but the next time you hear the term thrown around, ask the details. I often see here on CC that a member knows someone who got a ‘full ride’ to H, and perpetuates the false impression that H gives large amounts of merit aid.</p>

<p>I totally agree with you, entomom. There is a <em>big</em> difference for anyone who plans to live on campus. If this young man lives at home then yes, it’s technically a full ride. But otherwise, housing and meal plans are big bucks.</p>

<p>He’s right to wait on other decisions, for sure.</p>

<p>In remembering my own son’s struggles with the UTD McDermott Scholars Program true full ride (and money in your pocket, to boot), these decisions are difficult and it doesn’t help when others begin to pressure you to choose before you’re ready. I know my dh was pressuring my son (sort of, since finances are a huge concern for him) to take the McDermott. In the end, my son chose well for him. </p>

<p>No one else can make this decision for this young man.</p>

<p>My son only applied to one school early-SCEA-but it was very relieving to know he was into an amazing school early. Yes, it would be good advice to other URMs (or any kid) to apply EA to at least one selective school.</p>

<p>Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I last posted so I thought I would give an update on my DS for his colleges. He was accepted and given full tuition at Northeastern through NHRP, accepted at Villanova but did not become a Finalist for Presidential Scholarship at Villanova, and so far deferred to Regular Decision at Georgetown. He’s still waiting to hear from 6 more schools. He’s very excited about his possibilities. We should also find out soon whether he’s a National Merit Scholar Finalist. Our high school does not notify us until we get the actual letter in the mail. Thank you to all who answered so many of my questions. Good luck to all out there.</p>

<p>2collegeplus1-thanks for the update and many congratulations. Wonderful news on Northeastern. Don’t worry about Gtown. I swear everyone got deferred this year that I personally know and Gtown usually defers most of the EA applicants. Villanova is not the best for giving away money. Please keep us posted since it helps others learn about the college admission experience. Good luck on the National Merit Finalist potential. It should be more money and open some more door. </p>

<p>Congrats!!</p>

<p>It was finally announced today at DS’s high school that he is a National Merit Finalist. We are still waiting for the snail mail to arrive though. We are so proud! Do you think he should inform any of the schools that he is still waiting to hear from of his finalist status? Some do give money for finalists others are not associated with the National Merit Scholarship Corp.</p>

<p>Yes notify them since it is an important award. When a student is deferred or waiting for a decision and they have something that will make them a stronger candidate I always advise them to update their application with the college. Be sure to put any identification number on the letter assigned to the student by the college. </p>

<p>Congrats.</p>