Hispanic Students Class of 2018 Discussion Thread

<p>I also do believe that the University of South Carolina offers full tuition as well, though I did not apply. TAMU, KU, and ASU have all offered me the scholarships on the basis of NHRP. It’s really a wonderful opportunity to jump on!</p>

<p>I’m applying to the College of Arts and Sciences at Syracuse early decision.</p>

<p>Here are my stats:</p>

<p>3.1 GPA UW
SAT: 1890 Comp, 660 CR, 590 M, 640 W
SAT Subject: 670 Lit, 760 US History</p>

<p>7 APs
Most classes were honors</p>

<p>4 years of Spanish
Ethnicity: Mexican-American (English is my first language).</p>

<p>ECs: JV football 9th, 10th
MCJROTC 11th
UIL Academic competition 10th, 11th</p>

<p>AP Scholar with Distinction</p>

<p>Senior grades are great.</p>

<p>bromar, the running list of NHRP scholarships is here, please update as necessary:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Cossack, Best of luck with ED! Any chance that Syracuse will will see your mid-yr grades before making the decision?</p>

<p>How influential is race in the decision process?</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race; please see the Definition sticky thread at the top of this forum.</p></li>
<li><p>For factors that are considered within the Hispanic applicant pool, please go to the Resources sticky thread and read the links under the section: Hispanic applicants and College Admissions.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Hey guys so from what I’m reading there are a lot of people on the same boast as me. I am a NHS as well as a National Merit Scholar. I’m looking at schools like Hopkins, USC, Cornell, U Penn, the UC’s (San Diego, LA, Berkeley), any thoughts on my chances?</p>

<p>I have a 32 ACT
730 Biology SAT
710 Math II</p>

<p>Only issue are my grades. I have a 3.89 GPA but go to an Extremely competitive school (I think we were ranked 11th best public school by US News) and thus am only in the top quarter of my school.
I am an accomplished Varsity athlete and have partook in a very competitive Pre Medical Program at my school the past two years.</p>

<p>Any advice is helpful!</p>

<p>Hello ev and welcome to the Hispanic Students forum!</p>

<p>If your gpa is UW, I don’t think your grades are an issue if you’ve taken a rigorous courseload. Rank will be considered within the context of your HS. </p>

<p>I don’t do Chances, the important thing is to be sure your list includes realistic admissions and financial safety, match and reach schools.</p>

<p>Accepted to Penn ED!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the information everyone. It’s been a God-send.</p>

<p>Ricky- Congrats. I am seeing some great admissions for Latinos in this early round of EA/ED decisions so hopefully there will be more. Could you please post your stats and relevant info so you can help future Latino applicants? Thanks.</p>

<p>Congratulations Ricky! So glad to hear the news, you’ve earned it. </p>

<p>Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!</p>

<p>Is there a place where you would like us to report acceptances (EA, RD, etc)
? I know this information has helped me when guiding my son through the college application/admissions maze!</p>

<p>^You got it, checkout the new sticky thread!</p>

<p>Thanks entomom. I hope I did it correctly — please edit if you need to!
I really would like others to know what can be :)</p>

<p>Looks good to me, it’s hard to make a temple for multiple schools, so I think the way you did it was fine and should help future students immensely.</p>

<p>Many congratulations to your S and to you for helping guide him through the process! Such a good place to be early in the cycle, spring can only bring additional choices. Enjoy a wonderful holiday season!</p>

<p>sunny, congrats on UMich! Has your S heard anything from the Shipman or other scholarships there?</p>

<p>@itsv of course! I’ll post it in our Hispanic results sticky.</p>

<p>@entomom thank you so much, it’s been unbelievable! Happy holidays to you too!</p>

<p>@ entomom He only received a “you’re in” email. No news of scholarships. UChicago and Northeastern’s acceptance portal contained a separate letter that detailed the merit scholarship offered along with details of its purpose. OSU and UM was very barebones!</p>

<p>@rickymtz13 CONGRATULATIONS on UPEnn - You are going to love it!!!</p>

<p>D got deferred from Huntsman/Wharton. Accepted to Fordham Gabelli School of Business, guaranteed housing for 4 years, 19K per year. Awaiting two more schools RD.
ACT 31, SAT 2000, 4.04 weighted, lots and lots of ECs including 4 year varsity athlete for national record holding team, trilingual, study abroad, volunteering, etc.</p>

<p>^mex, now or at the end of the cycle, please consider posting your Ds results here as it really helps future Hispanic students:</p>

<p><a href=“Official Hispanic Students Class of 2018 Results Thread - Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums”>Official Hispanic Students Class of 2018 Results Thread - Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums;

<p>Kind of late, but Trustee Finalist at USC here :)</p>

<p>Congrats to all my fellow latinos/latinas receiving good news!</p>