Hispanic Students Class of 2019 Discussion thread

<p>The Class of 2019 admission cycle has officially begun!</p>

<p>Best of luck to all, let's hear some chatter!</p>

<p>Chatter, Chatter! My DD got the email saying that she will get the email to apply for the NHRP.</p>

<p>My son did too! We are in Texas. </p>

<p>We live in NJ and it is interesting that we have one of the highest national merit cut offs but among the lower for the NHRP.</p>

<p>^My guess would be that’s because NM is by state and NHRP is by Region, so there are possibly states with lower PSAT scores which bring down the Regional cutoff.</p>

<p>Hi! :smiley: Just waiting for my counselor to finish my transcript so I can submit mine!</p>

<p>I have been invited to apply but I was wondering what the benefits of it are</p>

<p>^^Look at the sticky thread. About 4-5 years ago there were great scholarships offers. You can still get scholarships for it now but not as many. Plus it is a national award you can put on your Common App which identifies you as one of the top Hispanic junior students in the country. </p>

<p>@uruchica - apply for sure! You will be considered a “named scholar.” Some schools may offer you full tuition scholarships and others will will offer you large discounts. BTW - my wife was born in Montevideo, so our daughter will hope to be a NHRP Scholar as well (she’s a rising junior). </p>

<p>Will a 190 in Florida get you anything for the PSAT?</p>

<p><a href=“National Hispanic Recognition Program - #766 by MeTexn - Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-p52.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>See link for scores needed around the country </p>

<p>Just got an email today that they didn’t receive the complete Eligibility Verification Form (which I know we uploaded)…wonder if it isn’t “complete” or we didn’t upload it right. I resent it to them via email as they said.</p>

<p>(redacted, I had two tabs open and posted I the wrong thread)</p>

<p>Notifications are going out for 2015 high school grads. This week my son got his certificate designating him a scholar. We’re in Maryland. </p>

<p>Wow, this thread is dead. So, where are people applying to this year? :smiley: </p>

<p>My daughter applied ED and was accepted to TCNJ.</p>

bump

@PennAlumParent‌ Vivo en Maryland también. So how are things going with your son?

Let’s make this into a results thread since it’s so quiet. Class of 2018 had 3 very active threads! My D was accepted OOS to UVA, UMich and Iowa. Almost a full ride at Iowa for grades & SATs & ACT. $2000 of that merit is attributable to the National Hispanic Scholar award.

No NHS recipient here, but I am still Hispanic :slight_smile: !
2170 SAT, 3.96 UW GPA
So far I’ve been accepted to:
University of Minnesota
University of Alabama (Full Merit $98,000)
UKentucky ($40,000 Merit)
UOregon ($40,000 Merit)
MSU ($56,000 Merit)
SAIC ($89,000 Merit)
UCSD

Waiting on a couple of ivies, and a few others