Hispanic Students - COLLEGE CLASS of 2015

<p>Stillwatermom,</p>

<p>I would be very interested in hearing more about the decision between Penn and Rice. I’m the parent of a 2012 son. We visited Princeton and Penn and my son really liked both schools. Rice has not been on the radar because he feels that the weather would be too stifling. Though we’re from So Cal, he doesn’t like heat.</p>

<p>I’m interested in understanding more about why Rice felt more “diverse” than Penn. My son would major in math or physics and probably minor in music and Rice certainly is very strong in these areas, and Penn not so much so. Yet, my son loved the feel of Penn, probably slightly more than Princeton.</p>

<p>My son is 1/2 Puerto Rican but we, his parents are white. Being in So Cal and being middle class (70-80K income), we are part of a very diverse body of friends and acquaintances. In our neighborhood, there is a broad racial mix; in our church, the same. In my son’s math, chess, and physics activities, there are mostly Asians and subcontinent Indians, and some white, and my son (and several well known Philipino chess players).</p>

<p>I think diversity is very important, not so much that my son will be hanging out with one racial or ethnic group but just because I think he’s uncomfortable if there isn’t that diversity and it’s all one race or ethnicity.</p>

<p>Did your D feel like that was the case at Penn? We didn’t get that feeling but I will say there was more self-segregation at Penn than at Princeton. Is that perhaps what your daughter encountered?</p>

<p>sbjdorlo,
My D did get the vibe at Penn and the elite, preppy vibe she didn’t care for. She went for the multicultural preview and there about 240 students there for two nights. She had a wonderful time and the other kids attending were great. I think her host shared some feelings with her as well. It is a wonderful school but it wasn’t her first choice.</p>

<p>Although you have a couple months of hot weather in the beginning of the year at Rice,
most of rest of theacademic year is pleasant. When I discuss diversity at Rice or Penn, please realize my experience/perception is limited. I do know that my S has close friends of all races, ethnicities, socioeconomic groups, areas of the country and world, and majors and it has really been an engaging and mind opening experience. Physics and the Shepherd School of Music are strong. Infact, my S is singing in the Rice Chorale this semester. He isnt a music major but loves to sing so he signed up for the class.</p>

<p>CG,
Hope all is going well and that your S is edging towards a decision. D2 has made a preliminary decision but we are waiting for a FA review. I’m not particularly optimistic and if substantially more funds aren’t allocated, she has a much more difficult decision to make before the end of the month.</p>

<p>Hang in there.</p>

<p>Thanks, entomom. We’re very, very close, especially since one of the schools told my S they do not consider other offers in reviewing an award package. Wishing the best for your D. </p>

<p>sbjdorlo, Rice is excellent in physics. One of my friend’s kids is graduating this year in physics and going to a top-ranked graduate program.</p>

<p>Copterguy,</p>

<p>Thanks for the input on Rice. We will definitely look into it more. I wish you, Entomom, and the other 2011 parents the best as your children come down to the wire on decisions. It’s so helpful to have experienced parents sharing their journeys!</p>

<p>Entomom, Tejana13 and CG-Hang in there. The decision process, especially with the complicated financials, can makes these decisions long and hard. It really is the first adult decision of young adulthood an our kids have worked hard to place themselves in the situation of having many prestigious and excellent options. I am thinking of you as I was in the same boat two years ago. I really think this admissions year was a tough one but it will all come together.</p>

<p>Hi everyone, my S decided on the University of Chicago. He’s happy with his choice, and I’m happy that he got there. I have learned a lot about admissions going through it, and I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and encouragement. A big shout out to stillwatermom, who sent me a few thoughts and helped me provide perspective during the final days.</p>

<p>I’m thinking of you and sending positive thoughts to entomom, Tejana13 and others still making their decisions. Best wishes to all.</p>

<p>Congratulations to your son, Copterguy! U of Chicago is a fabulous school and I’m sure your son will be very happy there. What’s his intended major?</p>

<p>Congrats Cg and S of Cg, both on UChicago AND completing the admissions process! Sounds like a great match and an exciting 4 years to come.</p>

<p>My son chose Caltech after considering MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Harvey Mudd, Olin, Rose-Hulman, Stevens, and others. Caltech gave him a full ride based on need. He turned down full ride merit scholarships guaranteed for four years because he felt the schools offering them, though great sought after schools would not provide the challenge that CalTech and MIT would. He loved Carnegie Mellon’s environment and student support. He loved MIT’s offerings. But, he felt the community at Caltech coupled with the uber challenging curriculum and great weather would leave him happiest at the end of the day. </p>

<p>I will say that although my son’s scores, accomplishments and recommendations were stellar, the extra look they give Hispanic students was much appreciated even if only for the diversity weekends that exposed him to the schools and helped him get an idea for the school atmospheres.</p>

<p>Congratulations to your S popoagie, he had many wonderful colleges to choose from! I think particularly if a Hispanic student is interested in math/physical sciences/engineering types of fields and has solid academics and ECs to demonstrate their intent, they are very sought after by colleges. Glad to hear he took advantage of the diversity weekends to help decide the best place for him.</p>

<p>As a latina student I wanted to share my hard fought for decision so that those who are looking to apply for next year might not be afraid to try:</p>

<p>A minute ago my parents and I hit the button and paid the deposit for my attendance at
Stanford University Class of 2015.</p>

<p>I can hardly breathe!</p>

<p>It has everything I need to spread my wings and follow my dreams! Is that too warm and fuzzy?</p>

<p>I loved so many of the schools I applied to, and most loved me back. I am an optimist by nature, though, so I left behind the unknowns and trusted that the fit wasn’t there. I presented myself in my essays as who I am and what I have to offer. Then it was up to the school’s way of assessing what we submit; who knows? After listening to the NPR thing about admissions at Amherst, it makes you wonder if to some extent some decisions depended on who was presenting you and how, was the pizza takeout good or bad that day, was the momentum of how the admissions people were relating to each other in your favor when your folder was up? I know it isn’t only that sort of stuff. I know all of us had to be qualified to begin with and then the subjective stuff comes into play, I guess. But no matter. Stanford “got” me. I think we’ll understand each other as well as learn new things about each other as well! I so appreciate all the wonderful places that said such nice things back to me. I am now officially in favor of cloning. If I could I would send myself to many of them. And thanks for the opportunity for me to share my news.</p>

<p>For future applicants- you don’t get in wherever only because you are Hispanic. I fully understand that. You don’t owe anyone an apology for being who you are. Don’t look for formulas to get in. Be the best you and follow your interests and desires- THAT is what counts!</p>

<p>It seems like the majority on this thread have received happy results. I don’t know what went wrong over here but my son received rejections from all the ‘target and reach’ schools he applied to this year. It’s quite devastating for a teenager. He had Act 35, Sat 2- Math 1- 770 Math 2- 800 Chem 770- National Merit Scholar commended, National Hispanic Scholar, Venture Scholar, both of his parents (me and hubby) are first generation American making him 2nd and truly Hispanic yet he didn’t get favorable results. He also had high AP Scores of 4’s/5’s.
Any suggestions for my next son?</p>

<p>m3b,
I’m sorry to hear that your son’s admissions decisions did not go well, it’s been a really tough year for many, but I know that’s slight comfort at this time. His test scores look competitive for any school in the nation. The questions I would think of to get a better idea of potential problem areas are:</p>

<p>Which colleges did he apply to?
What was his gpa?
Did he take the most rigorous courseload for his HS?
How were his ECs (strength, uniqueness, cohesiveness, etc.)?
What were his essays about and who looked them over?
What is your country of origin?
Is your family low income?
What is the educational level of you and your husband?
Are any of his academic or EC interests tied to the Hispanic community?</p>

<p>I’m not saying that you necessarily have to answer these questions, but they might help give some indication of why the decisions occurred as they did.</p>

<p>Adding, congrats to you bgg! A wonderful opportunity for a thoughtful person, thanks for contributing and enjoy Stanford!</p>

<p>my3bs, Sorry to hear about that experience, but I hope you have at least one good option. As others on cc have found, sometimes a “safety” is the best place. I thought the admissions process to be somewhat unpredictable, both in terms of admission and merit/grants. Great test scores are not enough to get a student in. Also, some universities were much more intent on recruiting Hispanic students than others.</p>

<p>Some additional points to consider:

1. Essays are very important at some universities.
  2. Expressing a high level of interest can be an important factor.
  3. Regional variation is important, particularly for universities building a national profile. (a local kid may not be as interesting than someone coming from another part of the country)
  4. Going to a competitive high school can work against an applicant if a lot of great applicants are also applying from that school.</p>

<p>These are all factors that might come into play but it’s difficult to say what actually happened with a particular student. I know it’s disappointing, and I wish your son the best. You might consider: most of the top 150 universities and LACs can all provide a top-notch education! (as well as fancy buildings and great students services)</p>

<p>On another note, congrats to bluegrassgrl.</p>

<p>Thanks Entomom and copter for the suggestions advice.
He took all the AP courses offered and had 30 credits at the community
college and was awarded/commended as an honors student at the cc.
His GPA was perhaps his weakest point at 3.4/4.0uw.
He had great EC’s with leadership positions.
Essays varied and perhaps not his strongest since he’s a math/science whiz.
Family income is not low income and just out of range for Questbridge.
He also will be first generation college graduate.
Originally I wondered if perhaps it was his choice of major that was very competitive but then I got a little upset when the Ivies he applied to boast about being the best schools for Latinos/Hispanics yet enrolled only 2-7%? He applied to Cornell/Yale/UPenn for Ivies.
He was accepted at his safeties as an Honors student and will select from one of them.</p>

<p>The Ivies were his ‘reach’ , his ‘targets’ were Rice and Tufts.
All rejection- pretty tough pill to swallow.</p>

<p>It’s official now… S is going to Auburn University this fall toward a Chem/Biomed Eng. Although in the last couple of weeks I kind of knew he was 99% in it wasn’t until today that he sent his declining admission letters to all the other colleges. He is declining to Florida,Georgia Tech, Clemson, Alabama, Tennessee (in state).</p>

<p>He is not NHRP but with his ACT scores and GPA plus joining the Minority Eng. program, he is getting full tuition in scholarships.</p>

<p>Thanks to all in this forum for all the help. This is our older son and we knew nothing. You comments and posts certainly helped us find better opportunities and affordable options. It is amazing how many good opportunities are there if you know what to look for.</p>

<p>S2 is just a Freshman in HS but I can tell you that he’s getting the benefit of this huge learning curve!</p>

<p>Best of luck to all. Saludos!</p>

<p>Congratulations to all as decisions are made. What wonderful schools and experiences! I was sorry to hear, my3bs, about your son’s tough experience. What an outstanding candidate and qualified student. This year was really hard because of the record number of applications and I think your son’s GPA was the only factor that might have made the difference with admissions. He will be successful wherever he goes but I know how difficult the disappointment can be.</p>

<p>Thank you stillwatermom. I appreciate the kind words. I know he
will be successful at the safety school. Thanks again everyone for the replies. :-)</p>