Hispanic vs. Latino

<p>I am Azorean (Portuguese-speaking island not in Europe) and have been told that it is not Hispanic. However, I was wondering if the term "Latino" is somehow different, as Portuguese is a Latin language and was previously considered Latino. My grandparents were considered so in the 70s. Also, I have come to understand that European AND Native American makes Hispanic. I do also have a small amount of Native ancestry, but also have a small amount of English ancestry. I often feel unsure to select "white" as I look like a traditional Latina despite not being of Spanish origin. I feel that Portuguese and Azorean is more closely related to Spain than, for example, Germany or Ireland. I try to select other as often as possible, which is what my teachers instructed, but it is not always available. What should I do?</p>

<p>The use of Latino or Hispanic varies, but use of one or the other doesn’t change who is considered a URM for college admissions/scholarship purposes.</p>

<p>Please see post #1 in the Definition sticky thread at the top of this forum, the definition used by colleges for admissions is that of the US Census. People with Portuguese or Brazilian backgrounds are not included in this definition.</p>

<p>Scholarships vary in their definitions because they are administered by different organizations. The largest scholarship program, NHRP, considers that descent from Brazil, but not Portugal, qualifies for the scholarship (please see post #1 on the main NHRP thread below for a link to the NHRP website which lists the countries they consider Hispanic). Other scholarships have somewhat different definitions, but none I have seen include Portuguese backgrounds (check the links on the Resources sticky thread to verify).</p>

<p>Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. Hispanics can be of any race(s). Your understanding of European and NA comes from what is considered mestizo, not Hispanic/Latino. Mestizo is a racial mix that is largely present in Mexico and several, but not all, countries in Central and South America. </p>

<p>Again read the US Census definition of Hispanic, it has nothing to do with appearance, surname, or many other factors. What counts is that you fit the definition and that you identify as Hispanic. </p>

<p>BTW, what do you consider a ‘traditional Latina’ looks like? </p>

<p>Yes, your background may be more closely related to Hispanic than other European countries, but you’re not being asked if you are close, you are being asked if you fit the definitions used by the colleges/scholarships. And the same holds true for your ‘small amount of Native ancestry’, if you decide to mark this on college admissions, be prepared to certify your tribal affiliation.</p>

<p>What you should do is honestly report, or choose to no report, your ethnic and racial backgrounds. This is your choice, the purpose of this forum is to give the definitions used by colleges/scholarships and leave what they mark up to each individual.</p>